The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 19, 2005, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Is there a difference? I would think that they are both one in the same. This will be my 7th year officiating varsity contests. Last year I transfered from Kansas (not IAABO) to Colorado (IAABO). I was informed by CHSAA that I have to take a closed book IAABO test. I have only seen an IAABO book, never owned or looked at one. It is a little nerve racking to say the least. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Wed Oct 19, 2005, 09:45am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ThickSkin
Is there a difference? I would think that they are both one in the same. This will be my 7th year officiating varsity contests. Last year I transfered from Kansas (not IAABO) to Colorado (IAABO). I was informed by CHSAA that I have to take a closed book IAABO test. I have only seen an IAABO book, never owned or looked at one. It is a little nerve racking to say the least. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Big difference, TS. The NFHS makes the rules. IAABO just interprets those NFHS rules. IABBO interpretations are also only valid in states where they have been appointed as that state's governing rules body. From what you are saying, that is the situation in Colorado. It's true in a few states in the NorthEast too. Iow IAABO, as Colorado's governing rules body for basketball, can test you any way that they choose as to your knowledge of NFHS rules. They can also interpret for Colorado any NFHS rules that may be a l'il fuzzy. What IAABO can't do (within limits) is change any of the NFHS rules or case book plays.

The IAABO rule book consists of the NFHS rule book and case book- verbatim.
Old Wed Oct 19, 2005, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Thank you

I should be fine then! I belive I have a good enough grasp on the rules and interpretations for NFHS. If the books are the same then there will be no problem.
Old Wed Oct 19, 2005, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
But their officials manual seems to be different. Both associations I belong to are IAABO boards (112 and 210). Both distribute the IAABO book, and both said, don't pay any attention to the mechanics, those are IAABO mechanics, not NFHS mechanics, and the fed mechanics are what count.

Anyone know what brought in place this change? I knew in the past the IAABO book also had the verbatim (sp?) officials manual.
Old Wed Oct 19, 2005, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Is there a difference? I would think that they are both one in the same.
As JR pointed out, they're not the same. IAABO is a training and teaching organization. That's it. They don't make the rules. They simply develop their own training materials and disseminate them to their membership. The Colorado board will use IAABO materials in its training sessions.

And, if you discover that you don't like being in IAABO, don't worry about it too much. Colorado will be leaving IAABO in the next 2 or 3 years.

Quote:
Originally posted by the ex-Whackinator
But their officials manual seems to be different.

Anyone know what brought in place this change?

I only know that IAABO felt that a couple of the FED's 2-whistle mechanics (viz., TO positioning and coverage of the Lead's sideline above the FT line) were sub-optimal. So they advise their membership to do it differently from FED standards. IAABO also incorporated these differences into an "E-Board" type format (with color pictures of various situations) and inserted that into the mechanics manual. This essentially replaced the FED's 2-whistle mechanics. IAABO left the 3-whistle section alone, as far as I can tell.
Old Wed Oct 19, 2005, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

And, if you discover that you don't like being in IAABO, don't worry about it too much. Colorado will be leaving IAABO in the next 2 or 3 years.

Chuck,

Has this been announced or are you just expressing some past experiences?

Mulk
Old Wed Oct 19, 2005, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ronny mulkey

Chuck,

Mulk
I have not heard of this. I am counting down the seconds. I think it is ridiclous that I have to jump through all these hoops just to be eligible to work varsity and post season games. You would think that the letter the Director of KSHSAA sent to CHSAA would be good enough.
Old Wed Oct 19, 2005, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

It's not that hard to become an IAABO member,

Passing the test is simple, I'd rather write the IAABO test over the FED test anyday, it's just so much clearer, and it asks you questions that relate more to situations you'd see on the court, instead of the questions like, What's the maximum width of the rubber seam in between the panels of the basketball? BTW the answer is a 1/4 inch.

And Chuck, love the way I was quoted
Old Wed Oct 19, 2005, 03:30pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Big difference, TS. The NFHS
makes the rules. IAABO just interprets those NFHS rules. IABBO interpretations are also only valid in states where they have been appointed as that state's governing rules body. From what you are saying, that is the situation in Colorado. It's true in a few states in the NorthEast too. Iow IAABO, as Colorado's governing rules body for basketball, can test you any way that they choose as to your knowledge of NFHS rules. They can also interpret for Colorado any NFHS rules that may be a l'il fuzzy. What IAABO can't do (within limits) is change any of the NFHS rules or case book plays.

Jurassic Referee:

There is no such animal as an IAABO interpretation anymore than there is a Wood County Basketball Officials Association interpretation, or an OhioHSAA interpretation, or MichiganHSAA intepretation, or a FloridaHSAA interpretation, or a California Interscholastic Federation intepretation. The only correct interpretation is an NFHS intepretation.

IAABO is a basketball officials association just like the Wood Co. Bkb. Off. Assn., or any other officials associations and it has interpreters just like any other officials associations and its interpreters like all other interpreters base his or her interpretation upon the NFHS rules and casebook plays.

Your statement about IAABO interpretations are valid only in IAABO states is incorrect. The only correct interpretation in those states is an NFHS interpretation.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Oct 19, 2005, 04:07pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:
Quote:
Big difference, TS. The NFHS
makes the rules. IAABO just interprets those NFHS rules. IABBO interpretations are also only valid in states where they have been appointed as that state's governing rules body. From what you are saying, that is the situation in Colorado. It's true in a few states in the NorthEast too. Iow IAABO, as Colorado's governing rules body for basketball, can test you any way that they choose as to your knowledge of NFHS rules. They can also interpret for Colorado any NFHS rules that may be a l'il fuzzy. What IAABO can't do (within limits) is change any of the NFHS rules or case book plays.

Jurassic Referee:

There is no such animal as an IAABO interpretation anymore than there is a Wood County Basketball Officials Association interpretation, or an OhioHSAA interpretation, or MichiganHSAA intepretation, or a FloridaHSAA interpretation, or a California Interscholastic Federation intepretation. The only correct interpretation is an NFHS intepretation.

IAABO is a basketball officials association just like the Wood Co. Bkb. Off. Assn., or any other officials associations and it has interpreters just like any other officials associations and its interpreters like all other interpreters base his or her interpretation upon the NFHS rules and casebook plays.

Your statement about IAABO interpretations are valid only in IAABO states is incorrect. The only correct interpretation in those states is an NFHS interpretation.

I stand corrected.

IAABO interpretations are never valid.
Old Wed Oct 19, 2005, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ronny mulkey

Chuck,

Ronny, it hasn't been announced, but it's pretty common knowledge in Colorado apparently. The state remained with IAABO in recent years b/c one of their members had a real shot at the IAABO presidency. The people who make decisions for the state board decided to stay with IAABO until that person was president or until it was clear that he would never get the spot. I think the time has come when they've decided they've hung around long enough. This was discussed very openly at the Denver meeting in September.
Old Wed Oct 19, 2005, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I stand corrected.

You just can't resist taking a poke, can you? LOL
Old Wed Oct 19, 2005, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
I stand corrected.

It seems to me that IAABO is a bunch of guys who were mad at NFHS and wanted to have something to call their own. Sounds familiar anyway.
Old Wed Oct 19, 2005, 05:51pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I stand corrected.

It seems to me that IAABO is a bunch of guys who were mad at NFHS and wanted to have something to call their own. Sounds familiar anyway.
IAABO actually is a good officials association imo. I was a member many, many moons ago. IAABO has quite a few knowledgable, experienced, skilled and devoted officials amongst their ranks.

Unfortunately, as you can tell from previous posts, they do let the riff-raff in too, unfortunately.

Old Wed Oct 19, 2005, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I stand corrected.

I believe IAABO has a broader coverage than NFHS (I = International) having memebers from around the world. In poking around their website, they formed in the 1920's. Don't know when the NFHS formed but I think it was later.