The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 21, 2005, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

I will be starting to ref basketball soon and was looking for a good book/manual on Rules and Diagrams of calls. I saw a couple for 6.95 a few weeks ago but lost the site. Not worried about the money, just want a good resource for a first timer. Any help would be great! Thanks
Old Fri Oct 21, 2005, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

http://www.nfhs.com
Old Fri Oct 21, 2005, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks Whistles! I looking to get 1)case book 2)Rules Book 3)Manual and not the Simplified & Illustrated or the basic Handbook. Please let me know if that would be the right ones to get. Thanks Again
Old Fri Oct 21, 2005, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Those are the ones you will use the most. Once you are registered in your association, they will send you all four. It is part of the fee you pay.
Old Fri Oct 21, 2005, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ThickSkin
Those are the ones you will use the most. Once you are registered in your association, they will send you all four. It is part of the fee you pay.
I wouldn't bank on that. Different places have different policies as far as what's included in the fees you pay. Where I come from, association dues are only 15 bucks, and as you might guess, that don't include the books. We buy our own individually from a state office.
Old Fri Oct 21, 2005, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

Go ahead and get them. An extra copy wont hurt. I keep one set at home and one set at work (since I cant help but work through some things at lunch or whenever).

A cheap alternative is to find an established official. He or she will have their old rule books. You can certainly review them and then go to the nhfs site to see the new rule changes from the old books. It is a good way to get started.

And if you really want some good stuff, the publishers of Referee magazine (www.referee.com I think) sell some intro manuals for officials that have really great diagrams of how to do things.
Old Fri Oct 21, 2005, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

Here is a link to a great newbie book:

http://www.referee.com/books/books/bbbog205.htm
Old Sat Oct 22, 2005, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys you have been a great help.