Thread: IAABO vs. NFHS
View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 19, 2005, 04:07pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by ThickSkin
Is there a difference? I would think that they are both one in the same. This will be my 7th year officiating varsity contests. Last year I transfered from Kansas (not IAABO) to Colorado (IAABO). I was informed by CHSAA that I have to take a closed book IAABO test. I have only seen an IAABO book, never owned or looked at one. It is a little nerve racking to say the least. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Big difference, TS. The NFHS
makes the rules. IAABO just interprets those NFHS rules. IABBO interpretations are also only valid in states where they have been appointed as that state's governing rules body. From what you are saying, that is the situation in Colorado. It's true in a few states in the NorthEast too. Iow IAABO, as Colorado's governing rules body for basketball, can test you any way that they choose as to your knowledge of NFHS rules. They can also interpret for Colorado any NFHS rules that may be a l'il fuzzy. What IAABO can't do (within limits) is change any of the NFHS rules or case book plays.

The IAABO rule book consists of the NFHS rule book and case book- verbatim.

Jurassic Referee:

There is no such animal as an IAABO interpretation anymore than there is a Wood County Basketball Officials Association interpretation, or an OhioHSAA interpretation, or MichiganHSAA intepretation, or a FloridaHSAA interpretation, or a California Interscholastic Federation intepretation. The only correct interpretation is an NFHS intepretation.

IAABO is a basketball officials association just like the Wood Co. Bkb. Off. Assn., or any other officials associations and it has interpreters just like any other officials associations and its interpreters like all other interpreters base his or her interpretation upon the NFHS rules and casebook plays.

Your statement about IAABO interpretations are valid only in IAABO states is incorrect. The only correct interpretation in those states is an NFHS interpretation.

I stand corrected.

IAABO interpretations are never valid.