Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 27, 2005, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
I haven't seen a case play on that sitch, but I would say that "you are where you were until you get where you're going" also applies to the ball. So put the ball back in play at the point closest to where the pass was released.
Why? Based on your earlier post, it would be where the ball was located when the foul occurs. Why would it be any different if it was not under player control? If the ball is in mid-pass, that's is the spot that will be used to determine the throwin spot.

Scenario: A is down 1 with 5 seconds to go. A inbounds the ball deep in the backcourt to A1 who throws a long pass over a press to a breaking A4. Just before the pass arrives, A4 and B4 commit a double foul (not likely to happen but just assume it does for the sake of the discussion). If you go with a spot near the source of the pass, A will lose the time on the clock for the time that the ball was in the air and also the distance down the floor. I don' think this could be the desired outcome.
The only way the clock would be running legally is if the throw-in was after an made basket. Time out, clock stopped; GT or BI, clock stopped; any sort of a spot throw-in, clock stopped.

In the only case of your play, yes, time would run off the clock until the foul was called. But now the clock is stopped for the next throw-in. Does A get the short end of the deal time wise? No. The ensuing inbounds pass is with the clock stopped.

Would A get to run the base line? I don't know.

[Edited by Ref in PA on Sep 27th, 2005 at 12:38 PM]
Old Thu Sep 29, 2005, 04:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref in PA

Would A get to run the base line? I don't know.
I do!

7-5-7 ". . . After a goal or awarded goal as in 7-4-3, the team not credited with the score shall make the throw-in from the end of the court where the goal was made and from any point outside the end line. A team retains this privilege if the scoring team commits a violation or common foul (before the bonus is in effect) and the ensuing throw-in spot would have been on the end line. Any player of the team may make a direct throw-in or he/she may pass the ball along the end line to a teammate(s) outside the boundary line."

Is this a common foul by the defense?

"ART. 2 . . . A common foul is a personal foul which is neither flagrant nor intentional nor committed against a player trying or tapping for a field goal nor a part of a double, simultaneous or multiple foul."

Nope, it's a double foul. Therefore, no running.

However, I agree with Camron that the nearest spot to the location of the ball is correct by the new POI rule. The wording of that new rule is quite clear.
So where is that?
The NFHS needs to look at their definition of ball location very closely.
Right now we have, 4-4-3 ". . . A ball which is in flight retains the same location as when it was last in contact with a player or the court."

Is this really telling us the spot of the ball or is it only talking about frontcourt/backcourt and inbounds/out-of-bounds status? I think the latter, but a strict reading of the rules as written would seem to support the former.

Lastly, it was a great point by Chuck originally that we now go with the ball's location, not the foul's location for the double foul play.

Old Thu Sep 29, 2005, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref

The NFHS needs to look at their definition of ball location very closely.
Right now we have, 4-4-3 ". . . A ball which is in flight retains the same location as when it was last in contact with a player or the court."

Is this really telling us the spot of the ball or is it only talking about frontcourt/backcourt and inbounds/out-of-bounds status? I think the latter, but a strict reading of the rules as written would seem to support the former.
I also think the latter. The ball is where the ball is.