The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 22, 2005, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JohnBark
Angry

worked my first jh girls game of the season tonight. my partner, who is a retired county police officer, 6'8", came up to me during an injury TO and said the lady in the front row called him a RACIST!!!!

i couldn't believe it!!! i hope this isn't a sign of what the rest of the season is going to be like.
Old Thu Sep 22, 2005, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnBark
worked my first jh girls game of the season tonight. my partner, who is a retired county police officer, 6'8", came up to me during an injury TO and said the lady in the front row called him a RACIST!!!!

i couldn't believe it!!! i hope this isn't a sign of what the rest of the season is going to be like.
Don't worry, it's not a sign. By the end of the season they won't be nearly that polite.
Old Fri Sep 23, 2005, 09:15am
M.A.S.H.

First crack....

I get to break into the action tonight. Gear bag is filling back up and I'm catch the fever! I'm ready to go... hopefully won't have any "stupid parents", , but I know better!
Old Fri Sep 23, 2005, 11:07am
certified Hot Mom tester

Lightbulb

Since the genome project has proven scientifically there's no such thing as "race", why didn't you go over to her and tell her there is no such thing as a "racist" and the reason all those fouls were being called on her son was because he just was a lousy player?
Old Fri Sep 23, 2005, 11:44am
Do not give a damn!!

John,

Why would that comment upset you more than every other comment fans make towards the officials?

Peace
Old Fri Sep 23, 2005, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
John,

Why would that comment upset you more than every other comment fans make towards the officials?

Peace
Rut,

Probably because it implies cheating. If a fan yells, "you missed it" or "that's terrible" (the usual) it's just the typical fan ignorance. If someone says that you are a cheater or that you favored a team (or that you're a racist), it's a little more irritating. We're out there trying to create a balanced atmosphere and then someone says (or implies) that we care who wins. A little more than the usual garbage.

Z
Old Fri Sep 23, 2005, 12:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Rut,

Probably because it implies cheating. If a fan yells, "you missed it" or "that's terrible" (the usual) it's just the typical fan ignorance. If someone says that you are a cheater or that you favored a team (or that you're a racist), it's a little more irritating. We're out there trying to create a balanced atmosphere and then someone says (or implies) that we care who wins. A little more than the usual garbage.

Z
Then if being upset about being called a racist upsets you (by a fan mind you) then you probably would really get upset when they call you a "cheater" or a "homer" by fans before. What is the difference? You are going to get upset because a fan (who most of us consider to be obtuse in the first place as it relates to the game of basketball) calls you a name that implies the basically the same thing?

If you believe them when they tell you "good job," you must believe them when they tell you are terrible.

Peace
Old Fri Sep 23, 2005, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Rut,

Z
Then if being upset about being called a racist upsets you (by a fan mind you) then you probably would really get upset when they call you a "cheater" or a "homer" by fans before. What is the difference? You are going to get upset because a fan (who most of us consider to be obtuse in the first place as it relates to the game of basketball) calls you a name that implies the basically the same thing?

If you believe them when they tell you "good job," you must believe them when they tell you are terrible.

Peace
Subtle difference I suppose. I've heard "Homer" a few times - that's the typical fan garbage thinking that the ref favors the home team... possibly subconsiously. "Cheater" is starting to cross the line and say that the officials are favoring one team. What would be the reason? Don't know. "Racist" not only implies that you are cheating one team, but that you are doing it based on skin color. Yes, it all comes out of the mouth of the fan, so John shouldn't be too surprised, but there is a difference.

Z
Old Fri Sep 23, 2005, 01:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

Z,

If you do not put much credibility in what they say when they call you a "homer," why would you put credibility in if they call you a "racist?"

I understand that this might not be a pleasant thing to hear or be accused of. One word does not change the implication. I have been called many things on the court, field or diamond before and I just consider the source. Just because they did not use a specific word does not mean that is not what they were thinking. I have worked in many racially mixed games before and I have never been called a racist or openly heard someone say that I was favoring one race over another, but it was strongly implied. That comes with the territory. This is what we have to deal with from time to time.

Peace
Old Fri Sep 23, 2005, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Please. I'm begging you. Remember: Race and/or politics = crappy thread. To the moderators, I give you the immortal words of Walter Peck in Ghostbusters: "Shut this down. Shut it all down."
Old Fri Sep 23, 2005, 01:17pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Please. I'm begging you. Remember: Race and/or politics = crappy thread. To the moderators, I give you the immortal words of Walter Peck in Ghostbusters: "Shut this down. Shut it all down."
Wasn't Walter Peck the one who Dan Akroyd said "It's true. He has no d***"...one of the best lines ever!
Old Fri Sep 23, 2005, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnBark

Seems to me that John is just posting what happened, he doesn't seem to me to be terribly upset.

John, I'm sure every game won't be like this but don't ever get too comfortable because that's when you'll hear something from a fan/coach/player that you never thought you'd hear. "Somedays you're the bug and somedays you're the windshield".
Old Fri Sep 23, 2005, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Wasn't Walter Peck the one who Dan Akroyd said "It's true. He has no d***"...one of the best lines ever!
Venkman: Everything was fine until d***less here shut off the power grid.

Peck tries to attack Venkman and there's much shouting.

Mayor of NYC (aka "Lenny"): (Trying to get his meeting back under control) Is this true?

Stantz: It's true. This man has no d***.

Old Fri Sep 23, 2005, 01:57pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Quote:

Mayor of NYC (aka "Lenny"): (Trying to get his meeting back under control) Is this true?

Laughed my a$$ off the first time I saw that part of the movie...
Old Fri Sep 23, 2005, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:

Hey, I have a Dick's near me!