LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 27, 2005, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Well, I emailed Mark about this, b/c I felt it was too far afield even for an already off-topic thread, but since others are keeping it alive, here's just one entry I found online under "Jewish baptism". It's from MSN's Encarta, so I don't think that they have any ecumenical ax to grind:

Quote:
Jewish law provided for the use of water in ritual cleansing (see Leviticus 11:25, 40; 15:5-7); and Elisha commanded the Syrian commander Naaman to dip himself in the Jordan River to be cleansed of leprosy (see 2 Kings 5). Well before the 1st century ad, converts to Judaism were required to bathe (or baptize) themselves as a sign of entering the covenant (tebilath gerim). Some of the later prophets envisaged that Jewish exiles returning home would cross the Jordan and be sprinkled with its water to cleanse them of sins prior to the establishment of the kingdom of God (see Ezekiel 36:25).
OK, so maybe for converts there's a historical conection but I'm 99% positive no such connection exists today (I know that's not your point). But someone born into the religion does not go through the same initiation ie no cleansing required.
It's not really about "initiation into the club." Various interps give it varying amounts of potency from pure symbolism to pure operation. And it wasn't just for converts. There are a number of different baptisms mentioned in the Bible, and most of them are by Jews and for Jews.

I think you're right about there not being this ceremony today. I wonder how it changed? As for Quakers and Jehovah's Witnesses, it was (and is) a specific repudiation based on theology and the circumstances of church. I wonder if that's the case for Jews. Mark?
Old Tue Sep 27, 2005, 12:57pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
I wonder if that's the case for Jews. Mark?
Juulie - as you may know, there are at least five different "strains" of Judiasm. I can only speak for the Reform group. We have dispensed with many of the symbolic rituals (including wearing yarmulkes in shul - although I still do) so I don't think this one ritual was singled out for any specific reason.

You'd have to ask an Orthodox Jew for a definitive answer, and I doubt there are any on this board. Maybe Romano can help, since he is in Israel.

BTW - what do you think of what's going on with the coaching staff at Tigard HS? Weird, huh?
Old Tue Sep 27, 2005, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
BTW - what do you think of what's going on with the coaching staff at Tigard HS? Weird, huh?
All I saw was what was in the paper. If you have any more juicy details, I'd love to know them, via e-mail, I suppose. I tried to get Mrs. ABC to talk, but she says she doesn't know anything.
Old Tue Sep 27, 2005, 05:01pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Cat pee glows under fluorescent light. Which raises the question, what weirdo discovered this!?!

I bet it is the same guy who discovered the same thing about scorpions.
Old Wed Sep 28, 2005, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

while we're on the subject......
A man is stumbling through the woods, totally drunk, when he comes upon a preacher baptizing people in the river. He proceeds to walk into the water and subsequently bumps into the preacher. The preacher turns around and is almost overcome by the smell of alcohol, whereupon he asks the drunk, "Are you ready to find Jesus?"

The drunk answers, "Yes, I am."

So the preacher grabs him and dunks him in the water. He pulls him
up and asks the drunk, "Brother have you found Jesus?"

The drunk replies, "No, I haven't found Jesus."

The preacher shocked at the answer, dunks him into the water again for a little longer. He again pulls him out of the water and asks again, "Have you found Jesus my brother?"

The drunk again answers, "No, I haven't found Jesus."

By this time the preacher is at his wits end and dunks the drunk in the water again, but this time holds him down for about 30 seconds and when he begins kicking his arms and legs he pulls him up. The preacher again asks the drunk, "For the love of God have you found Jesus?"

The drunk wipes his eyes and catches his breath and says to the preacher, "Are you sure this is where he fell in?"
Old Thu Sep 29, 2005, 09:27pm
M.A.S.H.

Gotta love 7th/8th Girls Parents

..... that's all that needs to be said! Anyways, I've got a long lay off (longest of the year), two weeks off before things start to pick up.
Old Tue Oct 04, 2005, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Re: First crack....

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tjones1
[B]I get to break into the action tonight. Gear bag is filling back up and I'm catch the fever! I'm ready to go... hopefully won't have any "stupid parents"

__________________________________________________ _________
Are they going to lock the doors and keep all adults out? If they don't, you'll have a stupid parent, or two, or three, or......

Old Tue Oct 04, 2005, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JohnBark
not upset at all...

first, i was upset by the comment. 2nd, i was just commenting on what my partner was called. and 3rd, i have very thick skin and it would take a heck of alot more than that to upset me. i thought part of this forum was to share your experiences, so other can learn from them.

as usual on this forum, some can twist and turn a comment on this forum to there advantage. not sure why that is. it's more upsetting that some read more into a simple post than what's posted.

Old Tue Oct 04, 2005, 10:34pm
M.A.S.H.

Re: Re: First crack....

[QUOTE]Originally posted by refnrev
Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
I get to break into the action tonight. Gear bag is filling back up and I'm catch the fever! I'm ready to go... hopefully won't have any "stupid parents"

__________________________________________________ _________
Are they going to lock the doors and keep all adults out? If they don't, you'll have a stupid parent, or two, or three, or......

True
Old Fri Oct 07, 2005, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Gozer Send a message via Yahoo to Gozer
Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Quote:
Please. I'm begging you. Remember: Race and/or politics = crappy thread. To the moderators, I give you the immortal words of Walter Peck in Ghostbusters: "Shut this down. Shut it all down."
Wasn't Walter Peck the one who Dan Akroyd said "It's true. He has no d***"...one of the best lines ever!
Actually it was Bill Muarry (sp).

TC

Kenny
Old Fri Oct 07, 2005, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Gozer Send a message via Yahoo to Gozer
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
isn't there some similar ritual (besides circumcision) in the Jewish tradition?
Uh, no.
Guess I've got some research to do, then. . .
I'm wondering about John the Baptist, who was a Jew and, well, a Baptist. In that time there were many Jews who were baptising. But perhaps that tradition hasn't carried through time, especially since Christians picked it up.

Can one of the moderators move this over into the general thread, so we don't have to feel guilty?
I am not Jewish and I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn last night so take this with a grain of salt (kosher salt please)...

Being baptised is like the initiation to the club. There is no initiation to Club Jewish, AFAIK all you need to do is be born to a woman who is already Jewish...and maybe a little ceremony if you're of the male pursuasion...(cringe).

As for so-called "converting" to Judaism, who knows how that works but AFAIK there is no water involved.
First off I am not Hebrew, but have lived with a Hebrew family for an extend period of time. Honestly there is no way to 'completely convert' to the Hebrew race/religion because they dont want converts. Namely, Jewish people view themselves and thier religion as the chosen religion. Thusly, if they were to convert it would be like going up to someone and asking, "are you chosen?" However, there are previsions for childeren, mothers, and fathers that are of part Hebrew lenaiage and choose to convert because they have a kid/are a kid/ or aparent of a half hebrew kid, or what not depeing on how conseerivitive the Synagouge (sp) that you belong to...

Anyway my 2 cents