The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 25, 2005, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

I wonder if there are any referees who are Quakers????
If so, I've never met one.
Could he work games with his hat on?
Old Sun Sep 25, 2005, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
I'm quite certain there are. Although, I don't know if she works with a hat.
Old Sun Sep 25, 2005, 10:11am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
I am certain there are Penn grads who are referees.
Old Sun Sep 25, 2005, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
I'm quite certain there are. Although, I don't know if she works with a hat.
Nope, no hats. And she doesn't call people thee or thou, either. She is still struggling to figure out how to handle the Star Spangled Banner thing. The reason I know this is because she's talked to me about it quite a bit.
Old Sun Sep 25, 2005, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

Nope, no hats. And she doesn't call people thee or thou, either. She is still struggling to figure out how to handle the Star Spangled Banner thing. The reason I know this is because she's talked to me about it quite a bit.
What does the Star Spangled Banner have to do with being a Quaker? I am sure you know what you are talking about, I just have no idea what that means. If you could please fill me in on what you meant.
Old Sun Sep 25, 2005, 08:39pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Juulie, my dear friend, aren't you forgetting a few groups? You know, like us guys who have been around for almost 6000 years?
Mark, isn't there some similar ritual (besides circumcision) in the Jewish tradition? Why would the earliest Christians, who were exclusively Jewish, use baptism as a symbol of faith if it weren't found somewhere in their own history? Did Christians appropriate baptism from "pagan" religions of the day? It seems more likely to me that they were familiar with baptism from their own religious backgrounds -- namely Judaism.
Uh, no.

BTW - about two years ago I was working a game with Juulie and commented on the odds of a Quaker woman working a game with a Jewish man. She said the odds weren't that huge. I then asked her what the odds would be if I knew a joke about Jews and Quakers. She said "no way". I then told her the joke.
Old Sun Sep 25, 2005, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Juulie, my dear friend, aren't you forgetting a few groups? You know, like us guys who have been around for almost 6000 years?
Mark, isn't there some similar ritual (besides circumcision) in the Jewish tradition? Why would the earliest Christians, who were exclusively Jewish, use baptism as a symbol of faith if it weren't found somewhere in their own history? Did Christians appropriate baptism from "pagan" religions of the day? It seems more likely to me that they were familiar with baptism from their own religious backgrounds -- namely Judaism.
Uh, no.

BTW - about two years ago I was working a game with Juulie and commented on the odds of a Quaker woman working a game with a Jewish man. She said the odds weren't that huge. I then asked her what the odds would be if I knew a joke about Jews and Quakers. She said "no way". I then told her the joke.
Jesus, a Jew and a Quaker are playing golf...
Old Sun Sep 25, 2005, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Funny how the baseball thread always has an off-topic disclaimer. Of course, I don't think anyone planned this mass digression. Oh, and good Catholic/Lutheran anecdote, Chuck! Ain't it the truth!
Old Mon Sep 26, 2005, 05:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Wasn't Walter Peck the one who Dan Akroyd said "It's true. He has no d***"...one of the best lines ever!
Venkman: Everything was fine until d***less here shut off the power grid.

Peck tries to attack Venkman and there's much shouting.

Mayor of NYC (aka "Lenny"): (Trying to get his meeting back under control) Is this true?

Stantz: It's true. This man has no d***.

Hey, I have a Dick's near me!
Me too, he works in the office next to me.
Old Mon Sep 26, 2005, 06:31am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally posted by mplagrow
Funny how the baseball thread always has an off-topic disclaimer. Of course, I don't think anyone planned this mass digression. Oh, and good Catholic/Lutheran anecdote, Chuck! Ain't it the truth!
This thread has been slimed.
Old Mon Sep 26, 2005, 06:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
isn't there some similar ritual (besides circumcision) in the Jewish tradition?
Uh, no.
Guess I've got some research to do, then. . .
Old Mon Sep 26, 2005, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Uh, no.
I'm wondering about John the Baptist, who was a Jew and, well, a Baptist. In that time there were many Jews who were baptising. But perhaps that tradition hasn't carried through time, especially since Christians picked it up.

Can one of the moderators move this over into the general thread, so we don't have to feel guilty?
Old Mon Sep 26, 2005, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Uh, no.
I'm wondering about John the Baptist, who was a Jew and, well, a Baptist. In that time there were many Jews who were baptising. But perhaps that tradition hasn't carried through time, especially since Christians picked it up.

Can one of the moderators move this over into the general thread, so we don't have to feel guilty?
I am not Jewish and I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn last night so take this with a grain of salt (kosher salt please)...

Being baptised is like the initiation to the club. There is no initiation to Club Jewish, AFAIK all you need to do is be born to a woman who is already Jewish...and maybe a little ceremony if you're of the male pursuasion...(cringe).

As for so-called "converting" to Judaism, who knows how that works but AFAIK there is no water involved.
Old Mon Sep 26, 2005, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Well, I emailed Mark about this, b/c I felt it was too far afield even for an already off-topic thread, but since others are keeping it alive, here's just one entry I found online under "Jewish baptism". It's from MSN's Encarta, so I don't think that they have any ecumenical ax to grind:

Quote:
Jewish law provided for the use of water in ritual cleansing (see Leviticus 11:25, 40; 15:5-7); and Elisha commanded the Syrian commander Naaman to dip himself in the Jordan River to be cleansed of leprosy (see 2 Kings 5). Well before the 1st century ad, converts to Judaism were required to bathe (or baptize) themselves as a sign of entering the covenant (tebilath gerim). Some of the later prophets envisaged that Jewish exiles returning home would cross the Jordan and be sprinkled with its water to cleanse them of sins prior to the establishment of the kingdom of God (see Ezekiel 36:25).
Old Mon Sep 26, 2005, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well, I emailed Mark about this, b/c I felt it was too far afield even for an already off-topic thread, but since others are keeping it alive, here's just one entry I found online under "Jewish baptism". It's from MSN's Encarta, so I don't think that they have any ecumenical ax to grind:

Quote:
Jewish law provided for the use of water in ritual cleansing (see Leviticus 11:25, 40; 15:5-7); and Elisha commanded the Syrian commander Naaman to dip himself in the Jordan River to be cleansed of leprosy (see 2 Kings 5). Well before the 1st century ad, converts to Judaism were required to bathe (or baptize) themselves as a sign of entering the covenant (tebilath gerim). Some of the later prophets envisaged that Jewish exiles returning home would cross the Jordan and be sprinkled with its water to cleanse them of sins prior to the establishment of the kingdom of God (see Ezekiel 36:25).
OK, so maybe for converts there's a historical conection but I'm 99% positive no such connection exists today (I know that's not your point). But someone born into the religion does not go through the same initiation ie no cleansing required.