The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   parents!!!!! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/22271-parents.html)

JohnBark Thu Sep 22, 2005 08:53pm

worked my first jh girls game of the season tonight. my partner, who is a retired county police officer, 6'8", came up to me during an injury TO and said the lady in the front row called him a RACIST!!!!

i couldn't believe it!!! i hope this isn't a sign of what the rest of the season is going to be like.

rainmaker Thu Sep 22, 2005 09:10pm

Quote:

Originally posted by JohnBark
worked my first jh girls game of the season tonight. my partner, who is a retired county police officer, 6'8", came up to me during an injury TO and said the lady in the front row called him a RACIST!!!!

i couldn't believe it!!! i hope this isn't a sign of what the rest of the season is going to be like.

Don't worry, it's not a sign. By the end of the season they won't be nearly that polite.

tjones1 Fri Sep 23, 2005 09:15am

First crack....

I get to break into the action tonight. Gear bag is filling back up and I'm catch the fever! I'm ready to go... hopefully won't have any "stupid parents", :D, but I know better!

Mark Padgett Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:07am

Since the genome project has proven scientifically there's no such thing as "race", why didn't you go over to her and tell her there is no such thing as a "racist" and the reason all those fouls were being called on her son was because he just was a lousy player?

JRutledge Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:44am

John,

Why would that comment upset you more than every other comment fans make towards the officials?

Peace

zebraman Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:07pm

Quote:

Originally posted by JRutledge
John,

Why would that comment upset you more than every other comment fans make towards the officials?

Peace

Rut,

Probably because it implies cheating. If a fan yells, "you missed it" or "that's terrible" (the usual) it's just the typical fan ignorance. If someone says that you are a cheater or that you favored a team (or that you're a racist), it's a little more irritating. We're out there trying to create a balanced atmosphere and then someone says (or implies) that we care who wins. A little more than the usual garbage.

Z

JRutledge Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:21pm

Quote:

Originally posted by zebraman
Rut,

Probably because it implies cheating. If a fan yells, "you missed it" or "that's terrible" (the usual) it's just the typical fan ignorance. If someone says that you are a cheater or that you favored a team (or that you're a racist), it's a little more irritating. We're out there trying to create a balanced atmosphere and then someone says (or implies) that we care who wins. A little more than the usual garbage.

Z

Then if being upset about being called a racist upsets you (by a fan mind you) then you probably would really get upset when they call you a "cheater" or a "homer" by fans before. What is the difference? You are going to get upset because a fan (who most of us consider to be obtuse in the first place as it relates to the game of basketball) calls you a name that implies the basically the same thing?

If you believe them when they tell you "good job," you must believe them when they tell you are terrible.

Peace

zebraman Fri Sep 23, 2005 01:01pm

Quote:

Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:

Originally posted by zebraman
Rut,

Z

Then if being upset about being called a racist upsets you (by a fan mind you) then you probably would really get upset when they call you a "cheater" or a "homer" by fans before. What is the difference? You are going to get upset because a fan (who most of us consider to be obtuse in the first place as it relates to the game of basketball) calls you a name that implies the basically the same thing?

If you believe them when they tell you "good job," you must believe them when they tell you are terrible.

Peace

Subtle difference I suppose. I've heard "Homer" a few times - that's the typical fan garbage thinking that the ref favors the home team... possibly subconsiously. "Cheater" is starting to cross the line and say that the officials are favoring one team. What would be the reason? Don't know. "Racist" not only implies that you are cheating one team, but that you are doing it based on skin color. Yes, it all comes out of the mouth of the fan, so John shouldn't be too surprised, but there is a difference.

Z

JRutledge Fri Sep 23, 2005 01:10pm

Z,

If you do not put much credibility in what they say when they call you a "homer," why would you put credibility in if they call you a "racist?"

I understand that this might not be a pleasant thing to hear or be accused of. One word does not change the implication. I have been called many things on the court, field or diamond before and I just consider the source. Just because they did not use a specific word does not mean that is not what they were thinking. I have worked in many racially mixed games before and I have never been called a racist or openly heard someone say that I was favoring one race over another, but it was strongly implied. That comes with the territory. This is what we have to deal with from time to time.

Peace

ChuckElias Fri Sep 23, 2005 01:12pm

Please. I'm begging you. Remember: Race and/or politics = crappy thread. To the moderators, I give you the immortal words of Walter Peck in Ghostbusters: "Shut this down. Shut it all down."

rockyroad Fri Sep 23, 2005 01:17pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
Please. I'm begging you. Remember: Race and/or politics = crappy thread. To the moderators, I give you the immortal words of Walter Peck in Ghostbusters: "Shut this down. Shut it all down."
Wasn't Walter Peck the one who Dan Akroyd said "It's true. He has no d***"...one of the best lines ever!

ChrisSportsFan Fri Sep 23, 2005 01:54pm

Quote:

Originally posted by JohnBark

Seems to me that John is just posting what happened, he doesn't seem to me to be terribly upset.

John, I'm sure every game won't be like this but don't ever get too comfortable because that's when you'll hear something from a fan/coach/player that you never thought you'd hear. "Somedays you're the bug and somedays you're the windshield".

ChuckElias Fri Sep 23, 2005 01:56pm

Quote:

Originally posted by rockyroad
Wasn't Walter Peck the one who Dan Akroyd said "It's true. He has no d***"...one of the best lines ever!
Venkman: Everything was fine until d***less here shut off the power grid.

Peck tries to attack Venkman and there's much shouting.

Mayor of NYC (aka "Lenny"): (Trying to get his meeting back under control) Is this true?

Stantz: It's true. This man has no d***.

:D

rockyroad Fri Sep 23, 2005 01:57pm

Quote:

Quote:

Mayor of NYC (aka "Lenny"): (Trying to get his meeting back under control) Is this true?

Laughed my a$$ off the first time I saw that part of the movie...

Dan_ref Fri Sep 23, 2005 02:07pm

Quote:

Quote:

Hey, I have a Dick's near me!