The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 31, 1999, 01:18am
Official Forum Member

Cool

There is no where in the High school or college rule book that says 1 T shot. It is only in the pro's that there is only 1 shot for a T. No matter what happens on the shoot, the T will be 2 shoots. This brings up another point that I saw last year..... A player was called for an intentional foul on a lay-up...a very good call, the problem started when the player that was shooting made the shot. The ref only gave the shooter 1 free throw, because he said since he made the shot, he only gets 1. But by rule he still gets 2 shoots and the ball, no matter what happens with the shot.
Old Fri Dec 31, 1999, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

A1 shoots for a 2 pointer. While the ball is in flight, B1 slaps the backboard hard. A T is called on B1. If the shot misses 2 T shots are given but if the 2 pointer goes in, do we still give team A 2 shots for the T or does team A just get 1 T shot. Common sense says that they will get 2 shots for the T but some veteran officials in our chapter swear that there is or was an example in this or a previous year's casebook that shows to give only 1 shot for this T after a made basket. Does anyone know?
Ralph
Old Fri Dec 31, 1999, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

Slapping the backboard is a big nothing, unless you can prove it is intentional(very hard to and almost impossible to prove). Fans coaches and opposing players may complain, even if the ball is on the rim.
The BI is if the ball is touched while on the rim or above the cylinder.
Old Fri Dec 31, 1999, 08:01pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

quote:
Originally posted by Ralph Stubenthal on 12-31-1999 11:52 AM
>>but some veteran officials in our chapter swear that there is or was an example in this or a previous year's casebook that shows to give only 1 shot for this T after a made basket. Does anyone know?
Ralph

The ref only gave the shooter 1 free throw, because he said since he made the shot, he only gets 1. [/quote]

Sounds like a couple of refs should have received rulebooks in their stockings. Under NF rules: technical, intentional and flagrant fouls are ALWAYS two shots and the ball (unless double fouls are involved) regardless of the result of the play.

Old Fri Dec 31, 1999, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Kreimer on 12-31-1999 02:26 PM
Slapping the backboard is a big nothing, unless you can prove it is intentional(very hard to and almost impossible to prove). Fans coaches and opposing players may complain, even if the ball is on the rim.
The BI is if the ball is touched while on the rim or above the cylinder.

I misunderstood the problem, under 10-3-7 it is a T.

Old Sat Jan 01, 2000, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Cool

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Kreimer on 12-31-1999 08:34 PM
I misunderstood the problem, under 10-3-7 it is a T.

Actually its rule 10-3-6, but that's not why I'm replying. The purpose of the rule is to penalize intentional or deliberate contact with the backboard. Contact which occurs incidentally in playing the game is allowed, but when slapping or striking is intentional or deliberate or is so forceful it cannot be ignored, a technical foul must be charged.

The official must decide if one of three things occurred in order to charge a technical foul. The player who contacts the board 'illegally' is either hoping the contact will (A) cause the try to be unsuccessful, or (B) is doing it to draw attention, or (C) as a means of venting frustration.

The National Federation does not stipulate at what degree of "force" would constitute a violation. Therefore, not every 'hard' slap is a violation, and not every 'light' slap is legal.

KDM
Old Sat Jan 01, 2000, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Back to my original question a few tangents ago. A T is supposed to be called when the backboard is slapped hard while the ball is in flight or in or on the rim. My original question was simply to clear up a myth in my chapter that said : only 1 T shot is given on a slapping backboard foul if the shot is good. It sounded ridiculous to me and after everything I have read here, there must indeed be no truth in it.
Old Sat Jan 01, 2000, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

There are no 1 shot technical fouls in a high
school basketball game period.
Old Wed Jan 05, 2000, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by KDM on 01-01-2000 08:55 AM
Actually its rule 10-3-6, but that's not why I'm replying. The purpose of the rule is to penalize intentional or deliberate contact with the backboard. Contact which occurs incidentally in playing the game is allowed, but when slapping or striking is intentional or deliberate or is so forceful it cannot be ignored, a technical foul must be charged.

The official must decide if one of three things occurred in order to charge a technical foul. The player who contacts the board 'illegally' is either hoping the contact will (A) cause the try to be unsuccessful, or (B) is doing it to draw attention, or (C) as a means of venting frustration.

The National Federation does not stipulate at what degree of "force" would constitute a violation. Therefore, not every 'hard' slap is a violation, and not every 'light' slap is legal.

KDM

NF Case book ruling 10.3.6 reads ::
: Play: A1 tries for goal. B1 jumps as if to block the shot but instead slaps or strikes the backboard or vibrates the ring as a result of pulling on the net. The ball: (a) goes into the basket, or (b) does not enter the basket. Ruling: In both (a) and (b), a technical foul is charged to B1."

: Almost every instance involves striking the backboard while attempting (incidental to??) to block a shot.
: SHOULD SLAPPING OR STRIKING THE BACKBOARD BY THE DEFENDER WHILE ATTEMPTING TO BLOCK THE OPPONENT'S SHOT ALWAYS (OR ALMOST ALWAYS) RESULT IN A TECHNICAL FOUL?

Old Wed Jan 05, 2000, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

Question

quote:
Originally posted by MrT on 01-05-2000 11:18 AM
NF Case book ruling 10.3.6 reads ::
: Play: A1 tries for goal. B1 jumps as if to block the shot but instead slaps or strikes the backboard or vibrates the ring as a result of pulling on the net. The ball: (a) goes into the basket, or (b) does not enter the basket. Ruling: In both (a) and (b), a technical foul is charged to B1."

: Almost every instance involves striking the backboard while attempting (incidental to??) to block a shot.
: SHOULD SLAPPING OR STRIKING THE BACKBOARD BY THE DEFENDER WHILE ATTEMPTING TO BLOCK THE OPPONENT'S SHOT ALWAYS (OR ALMOST ALWAYS) RESULT IN A TECHNICAL FOUL?

MrT,

Please read the 'comment' at the top of the next page (pg. 71) of the case book for your answer.

KDM

[This message has been edited by KDM (edited January 05, 2000).]