The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 10:18am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by NDRef
I assumed that Ms. Struckoff was referncing ND and either she wasn't completely aware of what we were doing, or Jeff misinterpreted what she said about the lead. I can't imaging any state putting the lead directly in the middle of the lane. Absolutely nothing is gained from this vantage point in 2 or 3 whistle coverage.

Thanks for taking an interest.

Mary did reference North Dakota in her presentation. But I did not misrepresent anything she said. Her reference was brief and she did not go into great detail about what the ND does or does not do. She was not speaking to a basketball only crowd. She was speaking to the Official's Delegates from all sports and talking in general and made a very brief statement about ND to illustrate that a state can use their own mechanics. She also said that other states questioned ND's position but your state felt what they were doing was specific. Her exact words were "One out of 49 states uses this mechanic." No one asked her for any details beyond that because it did not matter. She was basically telling the delegates that in the NF training class there would be some minor differences as it related to Illinois and other states. Now there must be a reason you knew I was talking about North Dakota, because until her presentation I did not realize your state or any state had a mechanic like that. Your response was the very reason I did not want to call out your state. Since you seemed to know who she was referring to, I wanted to clarify what she stated.

Peace
Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Jeff,

No problem hi-liting ND. Unfortuneatley she was just plain wrong in her reference to the "lead" in our mechanic. It's too bad she wasn't clear with her information, especially considering her audience--rural states like ours have a tough enough time with the perception of being "country bumpkins".
Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 10:43am
Administrator

I thought I would stop in and say hello. I left Ohio for Florida on June 24th to officiate in AAU and YBOA national basketball tournaments. I will not return home until late afternoon August 01st. It appears that I will have a lot of posting to do when I get home. It sounds like this thread will be a fun one.

Ciao guys.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 10:47am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Jeff,

No problem hi-liting ND. Unfortuneatley she was just plain wrong in her reference to the "lead" in our mechanic. It's too bad she wasn't clear with her information, especially considering her audience--rural states like ours have a tough enough time with the perception of being "country bumpkins".
I think you are taking it to another level. She just was making a very small point about mechanics differences and how acceptable those differences are in the NF's eyes. I would not have expected her to go into detail about this topic because there were soccer, football, volleyball, baseball, track and field, cross country and gymnastics officials in the room. Anyone not working basketball would probably not know what she was talking about or what a "lead official" is in the first place. She just wanted to say that states can do what they like. She probably used one of the most glaring philosophies differences (she was showing the basketball class) and I no one asked her a follow-up about her reference or your state.

BTW, a lot of people that are from the Chicagoland area think anyone below I-80 are "country bumpkins" too. So it does not matter what state you live in, people are going to stereotype certain things about an area or state anyway. She did not make the point to belittle your state or the people. She was only making a small point.

Peace
Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
If I have clouded the issue, I apologize I just wanted to share some background about our state.

Thanks for taking an interest.
No apology necessary. I just think the whole thing is pretty interesting. I know it's not shrouded in mystery or anything, but it just seems like not a whole lot people really know how the Rules Committee actually works or why (and how) certain states are "punished".

I appreciate the info.
Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 11:47am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quick question:

Does Mary Struckoff know about this thread and if so, how many think that she rolls her eyes when reading it?
Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 11:47am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
don't you guys have anything better to do than climb up Rut's tailpipe?
Training to be proctologists, maybe?
Okay, that would be an acceptable excuse...
Pokemon - Jamaican proctologist.
Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Rut,

The whole point of my response in the first place was that it appeared that Ms. Struckoff was referencing ND. Your post states that she was making a point that states can do whatever they want and used ND as an example. However, that example was incorrect in how she presented it---you heard it and apparently others did as well--and you shared it with everyone on this forum. I just decided to take the time to share and go into a little detail. As a representative of the NF she should realize the potential dangers or shortfalls of misrepresenting the facts.
Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 01:25pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Rut,

The whole point of my response in the first place was that it appeared that Ms. Struckoff was referencing ND. Your post states that she was making a point that states can do whatever they want and used ND as an example. However, that example was incorrect in how she presented it---you heard it and apparently others did as well--and you shared it with everyone on this forum. I just decided to take the time to share and go into a little detail. As a representative of the NF she should realize the potential dangers or shortfalls of misrepresenting the facts.
OK.

Peace
Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
I thought I would stop in and say hello. I left Ohio for Florida on June 24th to officiate in AAU and YBOA national basketball tournaments.
I'm betting there was a helluva a party in Ohio on June 25th!

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
Quick question:

Does Mary Struckoff know about this thread and if so, how many think that she rolls her eyes when reading it?
It doesn't matter either way, Jugs. MTD will immediately email her and tell her that she's wrong. :P

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Jul 26, 2005, 06:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
It doesn't matter either way, Jugs.
Raquel Welch posts on this forum?!?! Cool! Are Bill Cosby and Harvey Keitel lurking somewhere, too?
Old Tue Jul 26, 2005, 10:33am
Administrator

Quote:
Quick question:

I am going to make an educated assumption that she does not read threads on this basketball forum because based on some of the mis-information that is posted on the NFHS Discussion Forums she does not read the threads there either.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Jul 26, 2005, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
It doesn't matter either way, Jugs.
Raquel Welch posts on this forum?!?! Cool! Are Bill Cosby and Harvey Keitel lurking somewhere, too?
Surely your nickname isn't Mother Tucker?

I wonder how many of these young whippersnappers know what you're talking about? (Um, besides me, that is.)

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Jul 26, 2005, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quick question:

I am going to make an educated assumption that she does not read threads on this basketball forum because based on some of the mis-information that is posted on the NFHS Discussion Forums she does not read the threads there either.

MTD, Sr.
There's a joke to be made here, but it's just too easy.
Old Tue Jul 26, 2005, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quick question:

MTD, Sr.
There's a glaring logical fallacy in there somewhere.