The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Interesting comments from Mary Struckoff. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/21437-interesting-comments-mary-struckoff.html)

JRutledge Sun Jul 24, 2005 02:50pm

I just came back from the IHSA Official's Convention.

Mary Struckoff, Editor of the Basketball Rulebook made a presentation highlighting the NF training program. The different programs seem really interesting and might be a really good tool for newer officials. For those that do not know Struckoff was ahead of the Official's Department in Illinois for several years before she moved to the National Federation.

One of the things she said and made very clear was that any state can do whatever they like. She made it very clear that Illinois and other states have different variations as to what specific mechanics are used or not. She even highlighted a particular state that in their 2 person mechanics (I will not use the state's name) puts the Trail official in the center of the court and the Lead directly under the basket. She also said that this particular state is the only one out of 49 states that uses this mechanic. She said the NF cannot do anything about it, nor wants to do anything about it. She said that NF mechanics are just a base, but if a state wants to use different coverage or signal mechanics, that is up to them.

I mainly say this because I have read many posts over the years and in the past few weeks where officials were mad because another state or official did not follow the NF mechanics to the letter. Mary Struckoff made it very clear that they know of many states having their own mechanics and said it was typical for states to have a variation.

Mary also talked about the NF Rules process and went into great detail as to how rules are changed. She stated that all Rules Editors in all sports go over the philosophy behind the rules so that a similar philosophy that might be in football might also be applied to volleyball as it might relate to safety or any other issues the NF thinks are important.

Peace

blindzebra Sun Jul 24, 2005 03:13pm

I heard that slap in Ohio out here in Arizona.:D

Texas Aggie Sun Jul 24, 2005 05:02pm

When I worked HS in Texas, we used Fed. rules (of course) but CCA mechanics. I don't know if they still do that.

The funny thing was that the chapter I started in handed out a Federation mechanic's book. I guess someone just ordered them mistakenly and they got handed out.

tomegun Sun Jul 24, 2005 06:49pm

Within reason, mechanics should be used to communicate. If the communication is there then mission accomplished.

azbigdawg Sun Jul 24, 2005 07:38pm

I know Im gonna get bashed for this, but im just a 2nd year guy....what advantage can possibly be gained from having both the lead and trail in the center of the court? In my (VERY limited) experience, I always feel that directly under the basket is the worst place to see things.

JRutledge Sun Jul 24, 2005 07:51pm

Quote:

Originally posted by azbigdawg
I know Im gonna get bashed for this, but im just a 2nd year guy....what advantage can possibly be gained from having both the lead and trail in the center of the court? In my (VERY limited) experience, I always feel that directly under the basket is the worst place to see things.
You are not the only one that feels that way. My point was to illustrate how different states do things. They are not confined to any mechanics set to the letter.

Peace

azbigdawg Sun Jul 24, 2005 07:54pm

Yah, I see that in other fed sports..I was just wondering about a possible reasoning for that mechanic other than the "because we can" attitude.... thanks...

JRutledge Sun Jul 24, 2005 09:09pm

Quote:

Originally posted by azbigdawg
Yah, I see that in other fed sports..I was just wondering about a possible reasoning for that mechanic other than the "because we can" attitude.... thanks...
I am sure there is some rational for this mechanic. She did say this state feels this is the best coverage to see things on the court. Not completely sure how they came to that conclusion, but it is telling that only one state uses this mechanic. The point she was making is no matter how huge or minor the changes, any state can make them. So when you read guys complain that another state is not following the NF mechanics, they do not have to.

Peace

Love this Game Sun Jul 24, 2005 09:36pm

Quote:

Originally posted by blindzebra

How did Ohio get dragged in to this

blindzebra Sun Jul 24, 2005 09:47pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Love this Game
Quote:

How did Ohio get dragged in to this

The post has more meaning than just passing along a little info.

We have a certain poster from Ohio that argued that the FED mechanics were set in stone a few weeks ago.;)

JRutledge Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:24pm

I did not post this to crap on any particular state. I simply posted this because over the years (every since I have posted on the internet) there are many posters that have been critical of other states or individuals that did not use perfect National Federation mechanics. I just wanted to make it clear that not only is the NF aware of this, it is condoned. I have been on the end of that criticism many times and I just wanted to pass along the information. Mary also pointed out that Illinois has some differences that might not be reflected in their new “certification” process. There was even talk from our delegates meeting to make those differences more public by posting them on the IHSA website.

Peace

blindzebra Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:36pm

Quote:

Originally posted by JRutledge
I did not post this to crap on any particular state. I simply posted this because over the years (every since I have posted on the internet) there are many posters that have been critical of other states or individuals that did not use perfect National Federation mechanics. I just wanted to make it clear that not only is the NF aware of this, it is condoned. I have been on the end of that criticism many times and I just wanted to pass along the information. Mary also pointed out that Illinois has some differences that might not be reflected in their new “certification” process. There was even talk from our delegates meeting to make those differences more public by posting them on the IHSA website.

Peace

But you did post it to crap on someone Rut.:D

JRutledge Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:48pm

Quote:

WRONG!!!

I posted this to pass along information that I heard directly from the Editor of the National Federation Basketball Rulebook.

Peace

Mark Padgett Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:12pm

Quote:

I posted this to pass along information that I heard directly from the Editor of the National Federation Basketball Rulebook.

It has an editor?????

blindzebra Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:17pm

Quote:

Quote:

WRONG!!!

Peace

You know you and MTD went at it over lead going ball side, and that the FED said it is optional.

You wrote:

I mainly say this because I have read many posts over the years and in the past few weeks where officials were mad because another state or official did not follow the NF mechanics to the letter.

Couple this with who gave the talk you posted about, and nobody is going buy you are not taking a shot at MTD.

I'm not saying you are wrong to do it, but at least own up to it.:D