The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 29, 2005, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by refnrev
Welcome aboard, Rizzo. Glad you're hooked like we're all hooked. Sounds like a good outing for you. How many inadevertent whistles did you have?
I'm assuming an "inadvertant whistle" is one in which we say to ourselves "oops, there was nothing there, why did I blow this?". I don't recall any really. After the first game, when the evaluator emphasized the "patient whistle", I really made sure there was something there before blowing it.

Now that I think of it, there was an instance where I was Center and the Trail called over-and-back from a frontcourt throw-in that was touched by A1 but never under control until she grabbed it in the backcourt. I kept my mouth shut (probably wisely) but after the game, the evaluator mentioned to the Trail that if another official (as I did) saw this, have a huddle, break out and rule "inadvertant whistle" and give it back to the offense.

One mechanic I consistently failed was not staying open when signaling direction. I was told I should always stay "open" to the players when signalling. I'll get the hang of it.
Old Fri Jul 29, 2005, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rizzo21

Now that I think of it, there was an instance where I was Center and the Trail called over-and-back from a frontcourt throw-in that was touched by A1 but never under control until she grabbed it in the backcourt. I kept my mouth shut (probably wisely) but after the game, the evaluator mentioned to the Trail that if another official (as I did) saw this, have a huddle, break out and rule "inadvertant whistle" and give it back to the offense.
Interesting . . .

I'd be careful with going to a partner for something like this - "control" can be in the eye of the beholder, and I wouldn't call a huddle unless it was blatantly not controlled by A1 in the frontcourt.

If I have something obvious (a tip, blatant control/no control, etc.) then I'll bring it up right then.

Do what your local association/the camp you're attending wants you to do, I guess.
Old Fri Jul 29, 2005, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
Originally posted by Rizzo21

Interesting . . .

I'd be careful with going to a partner for something like this - "control" can be in the eye of the beholder, and I wouldn't call a huddle unless it was blatantly not controlled by A1 in the frontcourt.

If I have something obvious (a tip, blatant control/no control, etc.) then I'll bring it up right then.

Do what your local association/the camp you're attending wants you to do, I guess.
I agree with the conference here (as I was instructed while being evaluated when exactly the same thing occured).

Some uncommon situations just take knowledge that is split between the two officials.

The worst that can happen is that you change nothing and the game continues.
Old Fri Jul 29, 2005, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jbduke
Mark,

I don't know why, because I couldn't have been more than five or six when that episode of Hill Street Blues came on in the early 80s. I believe the cops were playing some jail inmates in a local school gym. I don't remember why the spectator shot the ball, but my guess is that it involved gambling. Good times.

jb
Yes, and the cops had Michael Warren. Not bad! Of course, he was known as Mike Warren in his college days and played on that great UCLA team with Big Lew. What a backcourt - Warren and Lucius Allen.