The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 23, 2005, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Question

A1 has released the ball, while the ball is in the air , A2 fouls B2. Then the ball goes in. Does the basket count, or does the ball become dead right away and no basket.
Old Sat Jul 23, 2005, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Count it.
Old Sat Jul 23, 2005, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
It is very important to know when the ball is live and when it becomes dead. You might consider reviewing Rule 6, which covers this. But in answer to your specific question, you want to look at 6-7, Exception #1. I hope that helps.
Old Sat Jul 23, 2005, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

Reading, Welcome aboard, but one question -- is it reading -- as in reading a book or reading, as in the Railroad or city in PA? Inquiring minds want to know.

As for your question, count the bucket. Had this been a charge on A1 you'd have a different story.
Old Sat Jul 23, 2005, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

Reading as in the City of Reading, which was known for the Reading Railroad. We no longer have the Reading Railroad, but still on the game board. Thanks for the info
Old Sat Jul 23, 2005, 08:52pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

I'm not positive but I think I remember a movie in which someone in the stands shot the ball while it was in the air on its way to the hoop.

Boy - talk about a "dead ball".
Old Sat Jul 23, 2005, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

Red face

It must have been a truly deflating moment....
Old Sun Jul 24, 2005, 02:21am
Official Forum Member

Mark,

I don't know why, because I couldn't have been more than five or six when that episode of Hill Street Blues came on in the early 80s. I believe the cops were playing some jail inmates in a local school gym. I don't remember why the spectator shot the ball, but my guess is that it involved gambling. Good times.

jb
Old Sun Jul 24, 2005, 02:27am
Official Forum Member

Hill Street Blues Update:

The cops were playing a pick-up game with some gang members. Episode's title was "Personal Foul," and it first aired 3/25/82. I was six. I really loved basketball.
Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

New referee here and did my very first "clinic" this past weekend, complete with evaluators and all the related advice. One of the games I did (after the evaluators went home) involved this very same situation. I was Lead in a 2-man, shot went up by A1, A2 shoved B1. Ball then went through the hoop. I whistled the foul and, using a wild guess, counted the basket and nobody complained.

Thanks for citing the rule. I will review it so I can back it up next time it happens.

By the way, I'm hooked!
Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 12:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by jbduke
Hill Street Blues Update:

The cops were playing a pick-up game with some gang members. Episode's title was "Personal Foul," and it first aired 3/25/82. I was six. I really loved basketball.
I remember that episode. How did you get the actual date? I loved that show.

Peace
Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rizzo21
New referee here and did my very first "clinic" this past weekend, complete with evaluators and all the related advice. One of the games I did (after the evaluators went home) involved this very same situation. I was Lead in a 2-man, shot went up by A1, A2 shoved B1. Ball then went through the hoop. I whistled the foul and, using a wild guess, counted the basket and nobody complained.

Thanks for citing the rule. I will review it so I can back it up next time it happens.

By the way, I'm hooked!
Welcome to the wonderful world of officiating.
Old Tue Jul 26, 2005, 12:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

By the way, I'm hooked!
Yes. Good call. Now did you remember to allow Team B to run the end line for the ensuing throw-in?
Old Tue Jul 26, 2005, 07:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:

By the way, I'm hooked!
Yes. Good call. Now did you remember to allow Team B to run the end line for the ensuing throw-in?
No, I wasn't that lucky/on top of things to remember that. I prepared for the weekend with extensive study in the Rules/Manual/Case Book, however, it doesn't mean much until you really experience it. Now I can go back to the books and it will be much more meaningful.

The three biggest things I learned from the advice given were:

1) Patient Whistle - I called too many ticky-tack fouls early but after some pointers I learned to watch the entire beginning, middle and end (of plays) and advantage/disadvantage. Things went much more smoothly after that.

2) Positioning - Did both 2-man and 3-man. I'm sure I will start out at a level that is mostly 2-man but once I got the hang of it, 3-man felt great!

3) Finding the competitive match-up in your primary (especially when off-ball).

Had a big "ooops" with a travelling call on a jump stop (the coach roared). Gotta bone up on that play a little.
Old Thu Jul 28, 2005, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Welcome aboard, Rizzo. Glad you're hooked like we're all hooked. Sounds like a good outing for you. How many inadevertent whistles did you have?