View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 26, 2005, 07:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:
Originally posted by Rizzo21
New referee here and did my very first "clinic" this past weekend, complete with evaluators and all the related advice. One of the games I did (after the evaluators went home) involved this very same situation. I was Lead in a 2-man, shot went up by A1, A2 shoved B1. Ball then went through the hoop. I whistled the foul and, using a wild guess, counted the basket and nobody complained.

Thanks for citing the rule. I will review it so I can back it up next time it happens.

By the way, I'm hooked!
Yes. Good call. Now did you remember to allow Team B to run the end line for the ensuing throw-in?
No, I wasn't that lucky/on top of things to remember that. I prepared for the weekend with extensive study in the Rules/Manual/Case Book, however, it doesn't mean much until you really experience it. Now I can go back to the books and it will be much more meaningful.

The three biggest things I learned from the advice given were:

1) Patient Whistle - I called too many ticky-tack fouls early but after some pointers I learned to watch the entire beginning, middle and end (of plays) and advantage/disadvantage. Things went much more smoothly after that.

2) Positioning - Did both 2-man and 3-man. I'm sure I will start out at a level that is mostly 2-man but once I got the hang of it, 3-man felt great!

3) Finding the competitive match-up in your primary (especially when off-ball).

Had a big "ooops" with a travelling call on a jump stop (the coach roared). Gotta bone up on that play a little.