The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 27, 2005, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I will be starting my third year officiating this fall. The last two have been very enjoyable, though my first year was overwhelming at times. By the end of last year I felt very comfortable on the court. I put in the effort and it paid off for me.

I missed my first opportunity (last winter) to become a Class I official (which would allow me to work varsity games. Is that the same in each state?) My question is how would I be perceived by other officials if I do not pursue the move up anytime soon?

It's not that I don't think I can do it, just that I'm not sure I want to. Maybe that will change in a few years, but right now, I enjoy the JV and Freshman games, and can get home early if I choose, or I can hang around for the varsity matchup.

The local association says it would be good to get the Class I, even if I didn't get assigned, or choose to work, any varsity games for a while. I figure I need to follow that advice.

Anyone out there that doesn't work the varsity games for one reason or another? Any other thoughts?
Old Wed Jul 27, 2005, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

How you are perceived is based on how you present yourself and work your games.

If you do all that is expected of you and work hard at being the best JV official you can be, it should not be a problem if you prefer to work frosh/JV.

The officials that get a bad rep are the ones who come right at game time, grab their check, are in the parking lot before the final horn stops blowing, and don't care if they get better.
Old Wed Jul 27, 2005, 03:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

You might have to explain to use what "Class 1 official" means. I know something about this because I have talked to people from Ohio, but I am not as familiar with how it relates to working varsity or lower level ball.

If all you want to work is JV ball, there is nothing wrong with that. What happens to many officials that do not want to move up is they do not keep their professionalism. Like was stated, guys I run into that feel that way often come dressed to games, do not use proper mechanics or any subscribed mechanics at all, do not attend camps, do not seek advice or work for more than the money only. This does not apply to everyone of course. But it seems to be the rule and not the exception. We have a promotion process as well and we have officials that never move up through that process. Many officials in your situation might work, but they are not going to get games from certain assignors because they are not considered officials that desire to move up. Now if you are happy with that level of officiating, that is certainly your right. But understand that other officials might work games you will not because you are not trying to move through that process.

Peace
Old Wed Jul 27, 2005, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Even if you don't think you want to work any higher, you might as well pursue the Class 1 level. 95% of the officials I met who started out just wanting to do lower level ball eventually got hooked and wanted a bigger challenge. I can only think of one official in our association who doesn't want varsity games and that's because his body is betraying him and he can't keep up anymore.

Z
Old Wed Jul 27, 2005, 04:51pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I am entering my 3rd year, too. [Well, 5th if you count those 2 seasons back in the 1970s]. I am going to a required referee camp to enable me to do varsity games. If you want to do varsity games, then hang for at least the first half of the varsity contest and try to sit in on the halftime talk. You can pick up a lot of good advice that way. Thre are plenty of guys who do not do that and do alot of what Rut said.
We have an old guy [old is older than me] that wears his watch on one wrist, his medic alert bracelet on the other, signals jump balls with his forefingers, never closes in as the trail, calls 3 seconds from mid-court, and many other textbook examples of what NOT to do. [I am willing to cut some slack on the medic alert bracelet.]
Another guy comes in with his shoebag as his duffle as he is completely dressed otherwise and his car is out of the lot before his partner has unfastened his whistle.
Still another, who now thinks he is ready for college ball, is on his cell to his wife during halftime so you cannot go over things from the first half. Pre-game with guys like that? {Think 'Jim Mora" as you say PREGAME}.
Old Wed Jul 27, 2005, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Can anybody explain this moving up system? We don't have that in TN. Which it sounds like we do need it. There are so many guys that, I believe, just come for the check, but then again, I don't think we have enough officials for this system. From what I hear it is hard enough to cover games as is. Would love to hear more about this system.
Old Wed Jul 27, 2005, 07:23pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Here in VT, moving up is getting ratings from fellow officials sufficient to be qualified for varsity games. In reality, being seen by as many different varsity officials is important and as we as JV officials also pass along ratings for them, this can become quite competitive for attention. I live in a rural area where not many officials live, so I can get as many JV games as I wish. BUt if I stayed in my own area, I would not get seen by as many officials from the 'seat of power'. So I am venturing out into the more populous areas to do games to be seen by more officials and doing some AAU games to be seen by even more.

Initialy, I thought I would be happy just doing JV & Freshman games. But the competitiveness within me and the desire to improve has me setting my sights higher than they were initially. I don't see myself doing any state championship games, but I do see myself as a much better official in 5 years than I am today.

I may look into dual membership in NH if it looks like I am being frozen out here in a couple of years, but I am not going there right now.
Old Thu Jul 28, 2005, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
You might have to explain to use what "Class 1 official" means. I know something about this because I have talked to people from Ohio, but I am not as familiar with how it relates to working varsity or lower level ball.
JRut

Not much to it really. Initial certification gives one a Class 2 rating, which allows officiating at any level other than varsity. After two years, you can take an exam to become Class 1 certified. As I understand it, it is the same written exam as the Class 2 but you can't have a rule book open, and has the additional requirement of being evaluated during games. Class 1 then allows you to work any level.

I think there is a third rating for younger (under 18) officials and also a "retired" classification or something.
Old Thu Jul 28, 2005, 08:46am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Hartsy

[/B]
After two years, you can take an exam to become Class 1 certified. As I understand it, it is the same written exam as the Class 2 but you can't have a rule book open, and has the additional requirement of being evaluated during games. Class 1 then allows you to work any level.

[/B][/QUOTE]Is the exam for Class 1 & 2 certified officials one of the NFHS exams- either part 1 or 2- or does Ohio use a different exam?
Old Thu Jul 28, 2005, 09:54am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

JRut

Not much to it really. Initial certification gives one a Class 2 rating, which allows officiating at any level other than varsity. After two years, you can take an exam to become Class 1 certified. As I understand it, it is the same written exam as the Class 2 but you can't have a rule book open, and has the additional requirement of being evaluated during games. Class 1 then allows you to work any level.

I think there is a third rating for younger (under 18) officials and also a "retired" classification or something.
If I were you I would go for the Class 1 rating. You might get offered a varsity game and fall in love with those games. At the very least you have the option.

Peace
Old Thu Jul 28, 2005, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
[/B]
Is the exam for Class 1 & 2 certified officials one of the NFHS exams- either part 1 or 2- or does Ohio use a different exam?[/B][/QUOTE]

Parts 1 and 2 of the NFHS as I recall.
Old Thu Jul 28, 2005, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Is the exam for Class 1 & 2 certified officials one of the NFHS exams- either part 1 or 2- or does Ohio use a different exam?[/B]
Parts 1 and 2 of the NFHS as I recall. [/B][/QUOTE]

Becoming a Class 1 does not mean you will get varsity games.

If you want to do varsity games you must take this test. But if you feel comfortable just doing the jv and lower stay where you are. There are so many Class 1's that do not have a clue.

They take the exam because they want to tell people they are a class 1. but they still can not officiate.

Stay were you are happy at, there are great games at the JV level in Ohio at least they are in my area. Just as competitive as teh Varsity game.

15 Year OHSAA BASKETBALL OFFICIAL
10 Year NSA Umpire
Old Thu Jul 28, 2005, 01:27pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Is the exam for Class 1 & 2 certified officials one of the NFHS exams- either part 1 or 2- or does Ohio use a different exam?[/B]
Parts 1 and 2 of the NFHS as I recall. [/B][/QUOTE]When approximately do you write the Part 2 exam? November? December?

Just wondering.
Old Thu Jul 28, 2005, 01:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Love this Game

They take the exam because they want to tell people they are a class 1. but they still can not officiate.

Here is another example that there is way too much emphasis on taking tests in this country as a qualification for officials.

Peace
Old Thu Jul 28, 2005, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Love this Game

Stay were you are happy at, there are great games at the JV level in Ohio at least they are in my area. Just as competitive as teh Varsity game.

In general, JV games are not as competitive as varsity games. The better players play on the varsity and any school I've ever known about puts more emphasis on winning and being competitive at the varsity level.

Ships are safe in harbors, but that aren't what ships are made for. Challenge yourself.... work up to varsity and enjoy the added intensity and adrenaline of varsity games. If you don't like it, drop back down to JV. 99% who make it to the varsity level never want to go back, even the guys who said that they just wanted to do afternoon games when they first started. Go for it.

Z