The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 16, 2005, 06:57am
Official Forum Member

[/B][/QUOTE]I disagree completely with everything that you said above.

1)Why penalize the DEFENSE then by NOT calling the double violation? Isn't the double violation the RIGHT call? Aren't there TWO teams on the court? Do you always make it a habit of favoring one team over the other? What other obvious violations do you ignore in your game? And ignore a violation and maybe let a FT count that shouldn't have? Yup, that would go over great if the defending team lost by a point. I wanna be there when you try to explain that one.

2)What rule allows you to use that little procedure? Or do you just make up your own rules as you go along? The RULES say it's a violation. The RULES!!!! Not streetball rules! The RULES!!

3)Why would you EVER wait until the FT attempt is over before blowing the double violation? It's a violation when it occurs- not sometime later in the game. And who cares if a coach questions you when you've made the RIGHT call?

4)Again, by NOT making the correct call, you are penalizing the defense. And what about the OTHER coach? You know- the one you just screwed by making up your own rule and not following the one in the rulebook? What are you gonna tell HIM? Gonna tell him "Oh, I didn't like that rule, Coach, so I went ahead and made up my own"? I wanna be there when you try that one.

5)To be quite honest- and blunt-I don't think that you'd recognize good game management if it jumped up and bit you on the @ss. Good game management is NOT ignoring rules, making up your own rules, worrying about what a coach MIGHT say and penalizing a team for no reason.

The only place that your recommendations would be acceptable, Streetball, would be in streetball imo.

Lah me.

Yes, you should do your best to make sure that the players are lined up properly. Sh*t happens however. Once it does, simply follow the rules and don't bother making up your own.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Jun 16th, 2005 at 07:01 AM] [/B][/QUOTE] If I was a defensive player and knowing that a simultaneous violation is going to be called I would attempt to be in the other team spot when there is 6 player's in the lane and that to me is advantage "Defense"

Game management? During a free throw attemp you throw the ball at the disposal of the thrower and as the thrower begin bouncing the ball and getting ready for the shot you realized the offensive team has an extra player in the lane.
Do you blow your whistle and call a violation because the book say so or do you blow ur whistle and tell that player that he cannot occupied the last spot?
Old Thu Jun 16, 2005, 07:36am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by streetball
[/B]
Game management? During a free throw attemp you throw the ball at the disposal of the thrower and as the thrower begin bouncing the ball and getting ready for the shot you realized the offensive team has an extra player in the lane.
Do you blow your whistle and call a violation because the book say so or do you blow ur whistle and tell that player that he cannot occupied the last spot? [/B][/QUOTE]I follow the rules I don't make up my own rules. Does that answer your question?

Game management? That's a joke. You're advocating that an official completely ignore an obvious violation by one team. Got news for you. That means that YOU just screwed the OTHER team. Good luck trying to explain that one to an assignor/evaluator/coach-that-you-just-screwed.

You're not refereeing streetball, Streetball. Just because you don't happen to like or agree with a rule doesn't mean that you get to make up your own rule to replace it. Officiating doesn't work that way.
Old Thu Jun 16, 2005, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to lukealex
When two players are switched on the lane, I guarantee the defensive player isn't trying to gain an advantage. It's the offensive player trying to steal the bottom spot.
Old Thu Jun 16, 2005, 08:26am
MABO Member

I think you gotta remember what level your dealing with as well when managing the court. If you got experienced players on the floor they should know where to line up, so violation needs to be called. I know when I am working minor basketball with some younger kids they just don't understand all the rules yet and sometimes need to be guided along. It still is our responsibility to try and ensure everyone is in their correct spot before administering the FT. But like was already said SH*t happens.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Thu Jun 16, 2005, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to lukealex
Quote:
Originally posted by SmokeEater
I think you gotta remember what level your dealing with as well when managing the court. If you got experienced players on the floor they should know where to line up, so violation needs to be called. I know when I am working minor basketball with some younger kids they just don't understand all the rules yet and sometimes need to be guided along. It still is our responsibility to try and ensure everyone is in their correct spot before administering the FT. But like was already said SH*t happens.
I was thinking high school levels, even though they sometimes just get screwed up, but I believe at higher levels the player taking the bottom spot knows what he is doing.
Old Thu Jun 16, 2005, 05:21pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Bottom line is that as the lead, you do not give the ball to the shooter until 2 opponents have the first lane spaces on each side. If guys are being jerks, thre is an appropriate response, but just saying "White has the first space" will clear things up in a hurry.
Old Thu Jun 16, 2005, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

If the FT starts with A and B in the wrong spots then, yes, the officials (all of them) have messed up.

BUT, you don't screw things up further by ignoring the proper way - per rule - to deal with the situation. It's the same as having 6 players on the court. You can't just stop play, say "oops" and have a do-over. The coaches and players have some responsibility to follow the rules, even when they're not perfectly enforced.