The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 14, 2005, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to lukealex
A1 is shooting free throws. Team A is leading near the end of the game, so they don't have any players on the lane. Team B has 4 players occupying their designated spaces. Would it be a lane violation if team B occupied the four spaces closest to the basket?

Situation 2: A1 shooting free throws. Six players on lane. A2 and B2 (closest to the basket on one side) are in each other's designated spot. What should be done here, if anything?
Old Tue Jun 14, 2005, 04:35pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by lukealex
A1 is shooting free throws. Team A is leading near the end of the game, so they don't have any players on the lane. Team B has 4 players occupying their designated spaces. Would it be a lane violation if team B occupied the four spaces closest to the basket?

Situation 2: A1 shooting free throws. Six players on lane. A2 and B2 (closest to the basket on one side) are in each other's designated spot. What should be done here, if anything?
Situation 1 - there is no violation. The NF rule book says the shooting players "may" occupy those spaces. If they choose not to, the non-shooting team may occupy them.

Situation 2 - the officials should not put the ball at the disposal of A1 if that is the case. It is the official's responsibility to make the players move first. If for some reason, it still happens, it is a simultaneous violationsas soon as A1 has the ball at his disposal. Following this game, the officials may be subjected to the Spanish Inquisition - without the comfy chair!

[Edited by mark padgett on Jun 14th, 2005 at 05:52 PM]
Old Tue Jun 14, 2005, 04:36pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by brainbrian
Situation 1:
NFHS Rule 8-1-3d: "The defensive team (opponent of the free thrower) can have a maximum of four players in lane spaces and they are only allowed in spots one and three."
Is the new 2005-2006 book out yet and is this a change? My book doesn't say that at all.
Old Tue Jun 14, 2005, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
Situation 1:
NFHS Rule 8-1-3d: "The defensive team (opponent of the free thrower) can have a maximum of four players in lane spaces and they are only allowed in spots one and three."
Is the new 2005-2006 book out yet and is this a change? My book doesn't say that at all.
Interesting, my online rule book that I use is different from my physical rule book. I'll have to check that other ruling as well.

Thanks.
Old Tue Jun 14, 2005, 04:47pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Brainbrain - where are you getting this? My 2004-2005 NF book clearly states (NF 8-4-c) "During a free throw when lane spaces may be occupied: The second marked lane spaces on each side may be occupied by teammates of the free thrower" and NF 8-4-d states: "...The third marked lane spaces may be occupied by opponents of the free thrower".

The language always says "may". The actual number of the spaces in not stated in the way you have it and the use of the word "may" does not mean "must".

AHA - I notice you deleted your recent posts while I was typing. You know - the one that said "or am I wrong again". Apparently, you realized you were.

[Edited by mark padgett on Jun 14th, 2005 at 05:50 PM]
Old Tue Jun 14, 2005, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Situation 2
NFHS 9-1 Penalty 3: "If there is a simultaneous violation by each team the ball becomes dead and no point can be scored. Remaining free throws are administered or play is resumed by the team entitled to the alterating-possession throw-in from the designated out-of-bounds spot nearest to where the simultaneous violation occured."
Old Tue Jun 14, 2005, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
AHA - I notice you deleted your recent posts while I was typing. You know - the one that said "or am I wrong again". Apparently, you realized you were.
Ssshhh... pretend it never happened.

I was getting those rules from an online book that was I guess either wrong or old. I'll stop using it and on my last post I just typed it in from my physical book, so that should be right. (2004-05 book by the way)
Old Tue Jun 14, 2005, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Quote:
Ssshhh... pretend it never happened.
)
And that Mark is just arguing with himself?! Yea, that doesn't take much imagination...
Old Tue Jun 14, 2005, 05:35pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

And that Mark is just arguing with himself?! Yea, that doesn't take much imagination...
Sometimes the other people in my head win the arguments.
Old Tue Jun 14, 2005, 07:26pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Following this game, the officials may be subjected to the Spanish Inquisition - without the comfy chair!

Fear and surprise are their main weapons.
Old Tue Jun 14, 2005, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by 26 Year Gap
And an almost fanatical devotion to the rulebook.
Old Wed Jun 15, 2005, 01:03am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
And they make up their own interpretations.

And the penalty for ejection was just a l'il bit more severe than other leagues are now.
Old Wed Jun 15, 2005, 05:57pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
I'll come in again.
Old Thu Jun 16, 2005, 05:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

Situation 1 - there is no violation. The NF rule book says the shooting players "may" occupy those spaces. If they choose not to, the non-shooting team may occupy them.

Situation 2 - the officials should not put the ball at the disposal of A1 if that is the case. It is the official's responsibility to make the players move first. If for some reason, it still happens, it is a simultaneous violationsas soon as A1 has the ball at his disposal. Following this game, the officials may be subjected to the Spanish Inquisition - without the comfy chair!

[Edited by mark padgett on Jun 14th, 2005 at 05:52 PM]
Why penalized the offense by calling a simultaneous foul when both players is in the wrong spot? As an official we should have recognized it before putting the ball at the disposal of the thrower. And since its 2 free throws and if you already put the ball at the thrower disposal you should just ignore it until the second attempt than move them before the second attempt.

Now if for some reason that you miss it and notice it before the thrower attempt the free throw than I would blow my whistle right away before he/she released the ball and move them to their right spot assuming that itÂ’s a 1 and 1 situation.

If I waited until the thrower is done with his attempt and call a violation and take the point away, than I will hear it from the coach for not having the players in the right spot. I feel it’s our responsibility to have the right players in the right spot as well as having 5 “A” players and 5 “B” players on the court during all subs and start of each quarter before we start play.

By calling a simultaneous violation and going to the alternating possession you are penalizing the offense and that would piss me off as a coach if the game was going to be decided by free throws attempt.
ThatÂ’s why I rarely call a double/simultaneous foul and going to the alternating possession, am glad that they change the ruling for the double/simultaneous foul rules and no longer goes with the alternating possession.

I know that the rule say it is a simultaneous violation and should be called but there are some rules in the book that most officials do not applied during the game this is where you should use good game management and correct it without penalizing a team.

Old Thu Jun 16, 2005, 05:58am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by streetball
Quote:
Quote:
Situation 2 - the officials should not put the ball at the disposal of A1 if that is the case. It is the official's responsibility to make the players move first. If for some reason, it still happens, it is a simultaneous violationsas soon as A1 has the ball at his disposal.
(1) Why penalized the offense by calling a simultaneous foul when both players is in the wrong spot? As an official we should have recognized it before putting the ball at the disposal of the thrower. And since its 2 free throws and if you already put the ball at the thrower disposal you should just ignore it until the second attempt than move them before the second attempt.

(2)Now if for some reason that you miss it and notice it before the thrower attempt the free throw than I would blow my whistle right away before he/she released the ball and move them to their right spot assuming that itÂ’s a 1 and 1 situation.

(3)If I waited until the thrower is done with his attempt and call a violation and take the point away, than I will hear it from the coach for not having the players in the right spot. I feel it’s our responsibility to have the right players in the right spot as well as having 5 “A” players and 5 “B” players on the court during all subs and start of each quarter before we start play.

4)By calling a simultaneous violation and going to the alternating possession you are penalizing the offense and that would piss me off as a coach if the game was going to be decided by free throws attempt.
ThatÂ’s why I rarely call a double/simultaneous foul and going to the alternating possession, am glad that they change the ruling for the double/simultaneous foul rules and no longer goes with the alternating possession.

(5)I know that the rule say it is a simultaneous violation and should be called but there are some rules in the book that most officials do not applied during the game this is where you should use good game management and correct it without penalizing a team.

[/B]
I disagree completely with everything that you said above.

1)Why penalize the DEFENSE then by NOT calling the double violation? Isn't the double violation the RIGHT call? Aren't there TWO teams on the court? Do you always make it a habit of favoring one team over the other? What other obvious violations do you ignore in your game? And ignore a violation and maybe let a FT count that shouldn't have? Yup, that would go over great if the defending team lost by a point. I wanna be there when you try to explain that one.

2)What rule allows you to use that little procedure? Or do you just make up your own rules as you go along? The RULES say it's a violation. The RULES!!!! Not streetball rules! The RULES!!

3)Why would you EVER wait until the FT attempt is over before blowing the double violation? It's a violation when it occurs- not sometime later in the game. And who cares if a coach questions you when you've made the RIGHT call?

4)Again, by NOT making the correct call, you are penalizing the defense. And what about the OTHER coach? You know- the one you just screwed by making up your own rule and not following the one in the rulebook? What are you gonna tell HIM? Gonna tell him "Oh, I didn't like that rule, Coach, so I went ahead and made up my own"? I wanna be there when you try that one.

5)To be quite honest- and blunt-I don't think that you'd recognize good game management if it jumped up and bit you on the @ss. Good game management is NOT ignoring rules, making up your own rules, worrying about what a coach MIGHT say and penalizing a team for no reason.

The only place that your recommendations would be acceptable, Streetball, would be in streetball imo.

Lah me.

Yes, you should do your best to make sure that the players are lined up properly. Sh*t happens however. Once it does, simply follow the rules and don't bother making up your own.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Jun 16th, 2005 at 07:01 AM]