View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 16, 2005, 05:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
Originally posted by lukealex
A1 is shooting free throws. Team A is leading near the end of the game, so they don't have any players on the lane. Team B has 4 players occupying their designated spaces. Would it be a lane violation if team B occupied the four spaces closest to the basket?

Situation 2: A1 shooting free throws. Six players on lane. A2 and B2 (closest to the basket on one side) are in each other's designated spot. What should be done here, if anything?
Situation 1 - there is no violation. The NF rule book says the shooting players "may" occupy those spaces. If they choose not to, the non-shooting team may occupy them.

Situation 2 - the officials should not put the ball at the disposal of A1 if that is the case. It is the official's responsibility to make the players move first. If for some reason, it still happens, it is a simultaneous violationsas soon as A1 has the ball at his disposal. Following this game, the officials may be subjected to the Spanish Inquisition - without the comfy chair!

[Edited by mark padgett on Jun 14th, 2005 at 05:52 PM]
Why penalized the offense by calling a simultaneous foul when both players is in the wrong spot? As an official we should have recognized it before putting the ball at the disposal of the thrower. And since its 2 free throws and if you already put the ball at the thrower disposal you should just ignore it until the second attempt than move them before the second attempt.

Now if for some reason that you miss it and notice it before the thrower attempt the free throw than I would blow my whistle right away before he/she released the ball and move them to their right spot assuming that it’s a 1 and 1 situation.

If I waited until the thrower is done with his attempt and call a violation and take the point away, than I will hear it from the coach for not having the players in the right spot. I feel it’s our responsibility to have the right players in the right spot as well as having 5 “A” players and 5 “B” players on the court during all subs and start of each quarter before we start play.

By calling a simultaneous violation and going to the alternating possession you are penalizing the offense and that would piss me off as a coach if the game was going to be decided by free throws attempt.
That’s why I rarely call a double/simultaneous foul and going to the alternating possession, am glad that they change the ruling for the double/simultaneous foul rules and no longer goes with the alternating possession.

I know that the rule say it is a simultaneous violation and should be called but there are some rules in the book that most officials do not applied during the game this is where you should use good game management and correct it without penalizing a team.