The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 12, 2005, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan

[/B]
What age group and gender are we talking here? If we've got a girls game or younger players, it usually takes less contact to equal a foul. In situation A, which hand was A1 dribbling with when B2 hit his left hip? If A1 lost the ball because of the contact, then I've got a foul. I think you need a patient whistle here because if there was minor contact and then the ball still stayed with team A then maybe you pass.

In situation 2, I've probably got a throw in for team A. Save time and the unless the contact was severe or B2 has been messing with the flow of your game. [/B][/QUOTE]

Chris - thank you. I am looking for the "patient whistle" in both situations. I am attempting to instill the fact that we need to see the whole play from start to finish. Many referees have a quick whistle and do not officiate advantage/disadvantage. I know many have asked about the severity of the contact and how their view may be different than mine. I understand what you are explaining.
Old Mon Jun 13, 2005, 03:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Quote:
Originally posted by eventnyc
Quote:
What age group and gender are we talking here? If we've got a girls game or younger players, it usually takes less contact to equal a foul. In situation A, which hand was A1 dribbling with when B2 hit his left hip? If A1 lost the ball because of the contact, then I've got a foul. I think you need a patient whistle here because if there was minor contact and then the ball still stayed with team A then maybe you pass.

In situation 2, I've probably got a throw in for team A. Save time and the unless the contact was severe or B2 has been messing with the flow of your game. [/B]
Chris - thank you. I am looking for the "patient whistle" in both situations. I am attempting to instill the fact that we need to see the whole play from start to finish. Many referees have a quick whistle and do not officiate advantage/disadvantage. I know many have asked about the severity of the contact and how their view may be different than mine. I understand what you are explaining. [/B][/QUOTE]

I'm confused. Did you want our input and help or are you giving us a test or quiz to see if we pass? Just to let you know if that is the case you are on the wrong board to do that. If you have a question about a rule or have a real play that you would like some honest input on how to handle better, then you are at the right place.

If this was a play that you are having trouble with I apologize for the above questions.

My two sense!
Old Mon Jun 13, 2005, 05:18am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by dhodges007
Quote:
Chris - thank you. I am looking for the "patient whistle" in both situations. I am attempting to instill the fact that we need to see the whole play from start to finish. Many referees have a quick whistle and do not officiate advantage/disadvantage. I know many have asked about the severity of the contact and how their view may be different than mine. I understand what you are explaining. [/B]
I'm confused. Did you want our input and help or are you giving us a test or quiz to see if we pass? Just to let you know if that is the case you are on the wrong board to do that. If you have a question about a rule or have a real play that you would like some honest input on how to handle better, then you are at the right place.

[/B][/QUOTE]Agree with Mr. Hodges. The original question was and is unanswerable without actually seeing the play. The point that you were trying to make was fine. The way that you tried to do it? Not so fine.
Old Mon Jun 13, 2005, 07:46am
Official Forum Member

Sooooo, what do I win?
Old Mon Jun 13, 2005, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Sooooo, what do I win?
Nothing.
That's the point.
The entire thread was a waste of time.
Old Mon Jun 13, 2005, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Sooooo, what do I win?
Nothing.
That's the point.
The entire thread was a waste of time.
I hear what your saying and I'm just being a little sarcastic myself. Whatever his motive, it's a worthwhile thread.
Old Mon Jun 13, 2005, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

I apologize. I was not attempting to make this a quiz. My intent was to learn how some veteran officials would handle the situation. I was hoping to hear more about the patient whistle and how this helps the game progress smoothly and allows for good game flow. I realize that sometimes it is difficult to answer without actually "seeing" the play.

I may not have presented this the way I should have and I apologize if you feel I've wasted anyone's time. In any case, thanks for the input.
Old Mon Jun 13, 2005, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Thumbs up

Quote:
I apologize. I was not attempting to make this a quiz. My intent was to learn how some veteran officials would handle the situation. I was hoping to hear more about the patient whistle and how this helps the game progress smoothly and allows for good game flow. I realize that sometimes it is difficult to answer without actually "seeing" the play.

I may not have presented this the way I should have and I apologize if you feel I've wasted anyone's time. In any case, thanks for the input.
You said in the first thread that you were using this as a training tool. So your point seemed obvious to me. You've heard about a "patient whistle" and wanted to know more about what that meant. You asked open-ended questions that were a little vague and had some sub-text. You heard answers to some of the sub-text questions -- answers that included descriptions and definitions of the buzz-word you were trying to understand. I think you did very well, indeed!
Old Mon Jun 13, 2005, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Don't crawl into your shell. I was just yankin' your chain. Note the at the top of my reply to Chris.

But to make a point, you made it a point to write "B-2 is out of the visual field of A-1 (he doesn't have eyes behind his head)." As I said earlier, that doesn't have anything to do with whether there's a foul or not.

You scenarios just seemed more concerned with whether the plays were a foul or not, than it using a patient whistle.

JMHO
Old Mon Jun 13, 2005, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Don't crawl into your shell. I was just yankin' your chain. Note the at the top of my reply to Chris.

But to make a point, you made it a point to write "B-2 is out of the visual field of A-1 (he doesn't have eyes behind his head)." As I said earlier, that doesn't have anything to do with whether there's a foul or not.

You scenarios just seemed more concerned with whether the plays were a foul or not, than it using a patient whistle.

JMHO
No shell here. If I had a shell, I'd be a soft shell crab. The reason why I put that statement into my play was

Rule 4-27-5 Incidental contact - If, however a player approaches an opponent from behind or from a position from whic he/she has no reasonable chance to play the ball without making contact with the opponent, the responsibility is on the player in the unfavorable position.

What does that rule have to do with your statement regarding whether there's a foul or not? Am I misinterpreting it?
Old Mon Jun 13, 2005, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

JMHO
No shell here. If I had a shell, I'd be a soft shell crab. The reason why I put that statement into my play was

Rule 4-27-5 Incidental contact - If, however a player approaches an opponent from behind or from a position from whic he/she has no reasonable chance to play the ball without making contact with the opponent, the responsibility is on the player in the unfavorable position.

What does that rule have to do with your statement regarding whether there's a foul or not? Am I misinterpreting it?
Tony had temporarily overlooked that reference. Usually, being behind the dribbler is considered only when the topic is screening. Does the reference you cite have any case plays related to it? THose might be interesting...
Old Mon Jun 13, 2005, 10:29am
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

I never use a "patient whistle". They have too many germs on them.
Old Mon Jun 13, 2005, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

JMHO

Tony had temporarily overlooked that reference.
Not true, juules. 4-27-5 is saying the same thing that I stated. The player coming from behind is the player in the unfavorable position. He/she is responsible for the contact if any occurs. Such contact is not considered incidental. If the contact causes A1 to lose the ball, it's a foul. No consideration is given to B1, just because A1 doesn't see him.
Old Mon Jun 13, 2005, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

In the future perhaps using examples of plays where a patient whistle is more of a factor would be better.

Contact at half court with numbers for team A.

Contact on the dribbler driving to the basket.

Contact on the passer.

Contact on the over the top entry pass.