Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 27, 2005, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
And if we do shoot the 1-and-1, I'm going to be looking very closely for an offensive lane violation . . .
You know, this isn't a bad solution. I might just administer the FT so that he catches it outside the semi-circle.
I could see doing something like this could, in rare instances, work out. But in this example, where a hard-headed ref is having A shoot 1-and-1 when they should get the ball OOB, your fix of the violation would give the ball to B, and A completely loses a posession. So, maybe in this case two wrongs really don't make a right?

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri May 27, 2005, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

To each his own, chances are it'll never happen, but I sure as hell won't use a flawed, parsed reading of the rules to fix an obvious mistake in penalty administration if I'm the R. Can't argue it any more, since it's obvious no one's mind is going to be changed.
Old Fri May 27, 2005, 04:03pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ShadowStripes
To each his own, chances are it'll never happen, but I sure as hell won't use a flawed, parsed reading of the rules to fix an obvious mistake in penalty administration if I'm the R. Can't argue it any more, since it's obvious no one's mind is going to be changed.
Well, that's easy enough. Simply cite an unflawed, unparsed rule that will back up what you're planning to do as the R when you try to overrule your partner's call. Then we can close this thread down as being solved and go onto another topic.
Old Fri May 27, 2005, 04:36pm
Esteemed Participant

Can you imagine what the rest of the game would be like when the cape-wearing "R" swoops in to "fix" the mistake which his jaunty side-kick is making, even though said side-kick is every bit as adamant that it not be "fixed"...what a disaster!
Old Fri May 27, 2005, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

For what it's worth, my supervisor backs me up on the interpretation. I'm the last thing from a cocky, my way or the highway ref, but I just think you guys are missing the point here, just as you don't get my point of view. Doesn't make either one of us less of an official. Let it go...
Old Sun May 29, 2005, 07:21pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally posted by ShadowStripes
For what it's worth, my supervisor backs me up on the interpretation. I'm the last thing from a cocky, my way or the highway ref, but I just think you guys are missing the point here, just as you don't get my point of view. Doesn't make either one of us less of an official. Let it go...
#1) I do get your point...and in 99.999% of all cases, a simple reminder to your partner is all it takes. However, we aren't talking about those 99.999%...we're talking about the one-in-a-whateverbignumberyouwanttopick time when your partner, altho wrong, will not back down...and you still haven't given us a viable way to deal with that. JR and I have...and that's where the point is being missed.

#2)Never even had a thought that anyone was "less of an official"...not sure why you would even bring something like that up.