View Single Post
Old Thu May 26, 2005, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
Are you talking about something that was called at the buzzer? If they go to video and such that is a whole different type of situation.

Also, I do not like the "just get it right" mentality because that seems to give people license to do things they shouldn't do like looking all over the court to "help" their partner "just get it right." A long conversation would not have been needed it this other guy would have trusted his partner. It didn't seem to be a situation at the end of the game or a situation where she was asking for help so he should have left it alone a lot sooner. IMO
I'm not so sure we should give up on getting right just to avoid giving some officials an excuse to look outside their area. Should we ban all cars because some people use them wrong? I think getting it right is the bottom line - the whole reason we're out there. Now, that being said, there are proper ways of getting it right, and procedures that are just as important. Staying in your primary is important. Trusting your partner is important. Keeping your credibility as individuals and as a crew are important as well. If I see something my partner missed, say an OOB call, and I'm 100% sure, I will give them that info. It's up to them whether they use it or not; I'm not going to stand there and argue with them. Conversely, if my partner comes to me and gives me info, then I will most likely use that info, because I know they wouldn't be coming to me unless they were 100% sure. That's a part of trusting your partner, just as much as letting him/her call their area. No big discussions and confabs. This is all discussed in pre-game: don't come to me unless you're 100% sure, and I'm the only one who doesn't know I got it wrong. In rainmaker's case, because it wasn't an end-of-game situation, and the partner was insistant, go with it and let the partner get dinged for giving wrong info. The long discussion in that situation does look bad overall for the crew. But that's a good point to add to the pre-game discussion list.

(Used with permission.)