View Single Post
Old Wed May 25, 2005, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
This happened several years ago. Something I was reading today reminded me of the sitch.

The game was no big deal. It was JV, not a tournament, neither the league leading teams, nor the worst in town. No big deal.

If I remember correctly, it was the third quarter. I called something involving free throws. I announced what would happen next, and my partner came over and told me that I was wrong, we should do thus and so. I was glad that he did this instead of just overruling me, but I knew he was wrong. I don't remember what the details were, but I do remember that he wouldn't change his mind. I thought about what he said, and then said, no we would do it this way. He insisted on his way. And he wouldn't give up. It went on about 30 to 45 seconds. I finally said, "It's my call, and we're doing it my way" and I walked away. To give him credit, he didn't sulk through the game or anything childish like that. But our credibility was shot!

To top it off, we were being evaluated. This figured large in both our write-ups, as you can imagine.

So here are the questions. Should I have turned and walked away earlier? Of course, he should have quit sooner, but since he didn't, was there anyway to handle this more gracefully than I did?