The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 04, 2005, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
I have a charge or PC foul.

The defender did nothing but move laterally, which they can by rule when contact took place. I think this gets called a block many times, because we do not referee the defense or it would just be easy to call a block on this close call.

This is just my opinion. I think some will disagree.

Peace

I/m with JRut on this one. IMO, there was LGP and the appearance of the defender moving into the path of the shooter is nothing but his right foot being moved under his body to steady himself. Look and you will see the left foot is planted squarely. Although I must admit is is a close one, but I got a "headache" (PC) and going the other way with it.
Old Wed May 04, 2005, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
A player fakes a shot, gets fouled, and then begins his "actual habitual motion" and is awarded shots.

I would have thought the "NBA Habitual Motion" may start when the player thinks about shooting "immediately after" he is fouled.
mick
Or maybe "A player fakes a shot, sees a foul is imminent when the defender is on his way to fall on him, then begins his "actual habitual motion" and is awarded shots."

Good calls. the rewards for this kind of smart plays can be 10 points out 13 in 35 seconds.

Old Wed May 04, 2005, 04:18pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ysong
Quote:
A player fakes a shot, gets fouled, and then begins his "actual habitual motion" and is awarded shots.

I would have thought the "NBA Habitual Motion" may start when the player thinks about shooting "immediately after" he is fouled.
mick
Or maybe "A player fakes a shot, sees a foul is imminent when the defender is on his way to fall on him, then begins his "actual habitual motion" and is awarded shots."

Good calls. the rewards for this kind of smart plays can be 10 points out 13 in 35 seconds.

What you describe is the High school/grade school/every level shooting foul.
I thought we were discussing the NBA 15' Continuation call.
mick
Old Wed May 04, 2005, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by South GA BBall Ref
I/m with JRut on this one. IMO, there was LGP and the appearance of the defender moving into the path of the shooter is nothing but his right foot being moved under his body to steady himself. Look and you will see the left foot is planted squarely. Although I must admit is is a close one, but I got a "headache" (PC) and going the other way with it.
How about this:

Imagine the defender suddenly changes into a stationary sculpture at the moment the offensive player starts his shooting motion.

if the shooter changes his path so that the contact with the sculpture would have been avoided, then foul on defender.

if the shooter keep his path or does not change his path enough so that he would have collided with the sculpture anyway, then foul on shooter.

Thanks.

Old Wed May 04, 2005, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

mick

What you describe is the High school/grade school/every level shooting foul.
I thought we were discussing the NBA 15' Continuation call.
mick
I described the dramatic win of Rocket over Spurs by T-Mac's surreal 13 points with 35 seconds remining in the game. It is not grade school level for sure.

Thought this thread started out regarding blocking and charging.

Old Wed May 04, 2005, 04:51pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

How about this:

Imagine the defender suddenly changes into a stationary sculpture at the moment the offensive player starts his shooting motion.

if the shooter changes his path so that the contact with the sculpture would have been avoided, then foul on defender.

if the shooter keep his path or does not change his path enough so that he would have collided with the sculpture anyway, then foul on shooter.

Thanks.
ysong,
When we referee the Defender and see he is not moving, then the contact must be charged to the Offensive player, mustn't it? Then we decide whether, or not, enough contact occurred to warrant a foul call. Yes?
mick
Old Wed May 04, 2005, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

How about this:

Thanks.
ysong,
When we referee the Defender and see he is not moving, then the contact must be charged to the Offensive player, mustn't it? Then we decide whether, or not, enough contact occurred to warrant a foul call. Yes?
mick
mick,

Definitely you are right on this. I just try to explore a creative approach to judge whether the defender is moving or not, which happened to be what we were disscusing in the post I originally quoted.

Thought you would like it.
Old Wed May 04, 2005, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by South GA BBall Ref
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
I have a charge or PC foul.

The defender did nothing but move laterally, which they can by rule when contact took place. I think this gets called a block many times, because we do not referee the defense or it would just be easy to call a block on this close call.

This is just my opinion. I think some will disagree.

Peace

There was not only the appearance of the movement...there was movement. Ignore the feet. Look at the torso. There are several reference points that can be used to see that the torso is still moving laterally after the shooter jumped. If it weren't, the defender would have fallen on his side since his stance was not perpendicular to the floor....his center of gravity was have been outside his feet...a sure recipie for a fall.