The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

I wish the NF would change the rule where the head coach can call a to. I think the NF should go back to the old rule where the players had to call the to.
When they adopted the current rule, I did't fore see the problems. I get as much grief over this situation as any other.
In my area the coaches begin the game with the strategy of requesting a to when their team is about to gain control or lose control of the ball during scrambling situations. The coaches get extremely frustrated when they don't get the to when they ask for it. Sometimes the held ball, foul, violation, or oob happens before you can recognize the to.
Do you agree that the rule is very hard to enforce without infuriating the teams.
Here are some of the situations I'm sure officials encounter.
1. A1 is triple teamed, about to step on the oob line, about to travel, he's being hacked at, a gym full of screamers, and from 50 feet away the coach is asking for a to.
2. It's hard to recognize who's calling the to. This takes time sometimes.
3. Sometimes it takes time to determine who's geting the ball and who's calling a to.
4. Coaches are constantly yelling out strategy that sounds like time out. (ex. 3 out, pull it out, 4 out)
I'm guessing the rules committee didn't adopt the rule for the reasons its being used.
I think the coaches would be in favor of the current rule, but if I was on the rules committee this rule would be at the top of my list for change. Other opinions, please. Staighten me out if my opinion is not a good one.