The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 11, 2005, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I'm pretty sure I know what Rut's getting at, so I'll give an answer. In my area, the floor exam is typically given at a 5th/6th grade game or scrimmage. This is done in late November or early December, right after the applicants have passed the written test and then completed four weeks of floor training.

It's rare for an applicant to fail the floor test around here. Basically, we're looking for whether you can run up and down a court and also keep yourself from being overwhelmed. If you can keep enough composure to blow the whistle, generally you'll pass around here.
Old Mon Apr 11, 2005, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Having just passed to class 1 (Varsity HS) in Ohio I can shed some light.

There is a Mechanics exam and a Rules exam. Both are T-F 100 question tests.

To pass to Class 2 (or Class 3 if still in high school) you must score 75% open book on both.

To pass to Class 1 you must have had on court experience, at least 2 favorable reviews by Class 1 Officials and pass with 80% closed book on both tests.

The test follows the Mechanics book and is changed every two years. Therefore the test I took did not include going table side in three whistle games after calling a foul.

It will be new for next year.

Remember I can only speak for Ohio as far a Class or level of officiating available.

I have some older copies that our association gave for study guides but they do not have the references.
Old Mon Apr 11, 2005, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
When IAABO makes you guys take the floor exam (or whatever it is called) what kind of game does this take place.

Peace
Almost, always during a high school scrimmage,5-10 guys will ref for 4-8 min taking turns, and will be evaluated by senior members of that bd, usually three evaluaters, they of course are not looking for a T.Higgins type demo, but want see basic mechanics.
Old Mon Apr 11, 2005, 09:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by jbduke

This is a perfect example of what Juulie and her ilk (I count myself among that number) are talking about when they stress the importance of having command of the language. I'm not in IAABO, so I couldn't answer this question even if I knew what Rut was talking about; but what about people that do know about IAABO's rules and procedures? It's silly that Rut's question may not get answered because somebody who knows might not be willing to take two posts to answer it: one to answer it, in addition to the one it might take asking for clarification of the question.

Rut, I'm not picking on you nearly as much as I'm picking on people who refuse to give any credence to the idea (actually held by more than just Julie and me) that sharp use of language is something that we should all work at.

I am writing on a discussion board. I am not writing an article for the Wall Street Journal. That goes for anyone else here as well. If that bothers you, it surely does not bother me. Half the time when I am on this site, I am doing something else at the same time. If I ever worried about every response or answer on this site and many others if someone used perfect English (let us not start on how people talk either) then I would always get upset. If you could not understand what I was asking then analytical thinking might be difficult for you or you just want to be very difficult. If what I said was not perfect, so be it. I probably did not proof read it or put much thought into what I said. I just asked a question and really did not put much concern into how it came out. When I am in certain places I am more careful, when I am here, who cares. All the crap I have to read here and have to seriously think about what the meaning is, I would never be able to understand if I expected perfection.

Peace
Old Mon Apr 11, 2005, 09:19pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs up What I was looking for.

Thanks for your answers. We do not have IAABO around here. IAABO does not at the very least control the associations they way it seems in other parts of the country. I was completely unfamiliar with the process of floor exams.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 12, 2005, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to ref509
Mechanics Exam

Guys, since I posted the thread to begin with, I appreciate all the replies.....BUT, can we all just try to get along (ha)AND keep the thread relevant! It's a simple and genuine request to determine by survey (formum), how different boards approach the mechanics and floor testing portions of an officiating training program. I am amazed though at the variance from board to board (excluding non-IAABO boards). Thanks to StMarysRams...that makes sense. I am familiar with the 100 item test (open book)...There is also a 50 item (closed book) in addition to regular floor testing. I guess some boards are more strict than others. Thanks guys!!!
Old Fri Apr 15, 2005, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SeanFitzRef
Rut,

Being from Illinois, as you are, I have questions regarding the advancement procedure here. In moving to R from X, it is another openbook written exam, then from R to C there is a closed book exam, correct?
Old Fri Apr 15, 2005, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SeanFitzRef
Rut,

Being from Illinois, as you are, I have questions regarding the advancement procedure here. In moving to R from X, it is another openbook written exam, then from R to C there is a closed book exam, correct?
X to R: Take Part 2 test open book.

R to C: Take Part 2 test closed book.

Old Fri Apr 15, 2005, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Rut,

I hope I'm not talking out of turn, but also being from IL, I might be able to help as well. To go from registered to recognized, you must pass the open book test with 85%, pass the closed-book test (given on a certain date) with 85%, and receive a minimum rating of 2.5 from coaches. To go from recognized to certified, you must pass the open book test with 90%, pass the closed-book test with 85%, and receive a minimum rating of 1.5 from coaches. I believe there is also a minimum number of years between each promotion (either 2 or 3), so you can't go from registered to certified in just two years.

The IHSA website has that info in their Official's Education Center on the website. Good luck.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Apr 15, 2005, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Oops - Bob is right, the X to R Part 2 is open book.

My memory is, uh, well, (damn, where did I put it?)...

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Apr 15, 2005, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Why coaches?

Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy
Quote:
Rut,

I hope I'm not talking out of turn, but also being from IL, I might be able to help as well. To go from registered to recognized, you must pass the open book test with 85%, pass the closed-book test (given on a certain date) with 85%, and receive a minimum rating of 2.5 from coaches. To go from recognized to certified, you must pass the open book test with 90%, pass the closed-book test with 85%, and receive a minimum rating of 1.5 from coaches. I believe there is also a minimum number of years between each promotion (either 2 or 3), so you can't go from registered to certified in just two years.

The IHSA website has that info in their Official's Education Center on the website. Good luck.
I'm curious as to why you guys allow the coaches to have such power in the system? Do they have training in officiating? Here, each officials association has their own rating system and determines how people move up. I would find it very uncomfortable to be doing coaches' games that are part of the rating process. Seems like a possible conflict of interest situation. Is he gonna want that crucial call down the stretch?