The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

There is PC and TC fouls on the women's side. They just use a different mechanic. "The Punch" replaces the hand behind the head on the womens side.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

I know, I know this is a technicality, but the "punch" is still only according to the rule book used for team control fouls which I am assuming that if a girl with the ball is dribbling and runs over the other player that it is a team control foul and not a player control foul.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Ah, one liners, I love them. I wasn't fortunate enough to pull this one off but I heard it this weekend:

Ref calls illegal offensive screen away from ball on blue and reports it to the table. Other ref sets up play to go the other direction. Coach who's player the foul was called on, after realizing the foul was called on his player, began yelling, "Hey wait a minute, you meant white didn't you. We were on offensive!"

Ref says, "Not any more."
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by refTN
I am assuming that if a girl with the ball is dribbling and runs over the other player that it is a team control foul and not a player control foul.
It's both. There are several ways to charge into an opponent, and one of those ways is to do it with control of the ball. That makes your charge a player control foul.

Similarly, there are lots of ways to have a team control foul; one of which is to commit a player control foul.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 09:23pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
A friend of mine was talking to a longtime area girls coach before the game when the coach mentioned she had graduated from the opposing school. My buddy remarked,"I didn't think the school was that old."
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Stop me if you have heard this one...A veteran official, who has about 50 years officiating(ouch..), once told me he uses this in his pregame conference with the captains...
Q: Why do officials officiate?
A: Because they can't play

Q; Why do players play?
A: Because they can't officiate

Q: Why do coaches coach?
A: Because they can neither play nor officiate...

(lol)
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by agmattbballref
Stop me if you have heard this one...A veteran official, who has about 50 years officiating(ouch..), once told me he uses this in his pregame conference with the captains...
Q: Why do officials officiate?
A: Because they can't play

Q; Why do players play?
A: Because they can't officiate

Q: Why do coaches coach?
A: Because they can neither play nor officiate...

(lol)
Good one!
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by agmattbballref
I have certainly heard some classic lines by coaches and fans directed toward officials, but what truly interests me is some of the classic one liners officials have directed to coaches. I would love to hear some of the zingers, and one-liners officials have spewed at a coach...I don't mean anything derogatory, just some funny anecdote that I may put in my bag, should I find myself in such a situation. Tell me what you think of this one...I was calling a girls' varsity game, and the coach, who buy the way is one of the better coaches in the city, gets upset with me for a calling an off ball foul on her post player for wrapping the defender with her off arm and pinning her. The coach replied that she was just banging just as the boys do. I calmly turned to her and said "Coach, that was a nongender-specific call." She just smiled wryly, and returned to the bench. I felt pretty good about how I handled the situation.
A coach was complaining about the disparity in fouls called on his team vs. the opponent. I told him, "Coach, your players are so quick that the other team can't get close enough to foul you." He had this puzzled look on his face. Precious!
Old Thu Apr 07, 2005, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Best saying ever to an official? - "Good game, ref".
Old Thu Apr 07, 2005, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimgolf
It means more when it comes from the losing team.
Old Thu Apr 07, 2005, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
Quote:
Originally posted by Jimgolf
It means more when it comes from the losing team.
If you believe them when they say "good job" then ya gotta believe them when they say "You sucked"

No?
Old Thu Apr 07, 2005, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

I only believe coaches when they say "Good game ref" if they go on to explain why they thought so. Perhaps sayingwe made a few key calls or handled an unusual situation well or something.

And in return, if I thought a team did a good job, I'll try to say more than "Good game coach." I'll try to think of a few examples of why I thought they played well. Losing coaches seem to like that too, if you can find something good they did.
Old Sat Apr 09, 2005, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

BBall coach got me good once in a good natured exchange. Just a few seconds earlier, I had called over and back right in front of the scorers table. He started complaining and I just ignored him because it was obvious. Play went on for a short time and the ball goes out of bounds near midcourt - that's when I realize I had the wrong line! It was one of those courts with a zillion lines on it. I turned to the coach and asked him if I had called the wrong line earlier and he said yes. "Was that the worst call you've ever seen," I asked. This was a girls game, not exciting, and it was almost silent in the gym when he replied, "No, one you made earlier tonight was even worse!" After a second, I started laughing, he started laughing, the table started laughing and it finally spread to the players and crowd. It was one of those special moments in sports that you always remember.
Old Sat Apr 09, 2005, 11:48am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

In my early days as an up-and-comer, I was selected to referee some very lucrative games, including provincial finals that stretched for 5 years in row, 4 years doing medal games.

I showed enthusiasm that had left many of my local colleagues behind. Coupled with the first 2-3 years of success mentioned in the first paragraph, I had the typical attitude of "thinking that I was better than I was."

A retired official, builder, principal, etc... who garnishes respect everywhere he goes, says to me, "You're the second best official in our association."

I replied, "Oh yeah?!," and naturally, with my attitude, I thought that he was correct, only to be surprised when he replied to me, "Ya, everyone else is tied for first." Sad thing is I didn't get it for a couple of seconds.

Then, 6 months later, I fell for the joke again.

The lesson was learned.
Old Sun Apr 10, 2005, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

I wasn't working this game, but was courtside. It was a Frosh or JV game, and one kid on one team was big, reasonably athletic, but little in the way of basketball skills.

Anyway, on a fast break by another team, the big kid hammers the guy going for a layup. He wasn't doing it maliciously or even intentionally, just trying to play the ball and be agressive, but his size and lack of skill made it look worse than it was. It was just a hard foul correctly called.

The lead official, who made the call, is going to report the foul, and the coach blurts out, "you called that on him because he's a football player." After a second, I just died laughing.