The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 04, 2005, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

I know we have had a thread like this before but this has to be on here!

I was working the AAU Super Regional in my area and this team was getting beat and this post player was beating up on these other girls underneath and still the parents thought of course that this girl that was beating up these other girls was getting fouled. So I end up calling a team control foul(because everbody i'm sure knows that in ncaa women's ball there is no such thing as a player control foul).

The parents in the stands go nuts and a lady just starts constantly blurting out

"That's alright you're going to have to answer to God for that, it's alright you're going to have to answer to him, not us"

Since I went table side to make the call I didn't get to hear it first hand, but later on my partner told me about it and I just started rolling.(I was in my vehicle after the game when he told me, because you know I always keep up my high level of professionalism)
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by refTN
"That's alright you're going to have to answer to God for that, it's alright you're going to have to answer to him, not us"
"That's fine with me -- He knows the rules, and you don't!"
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 01:28am
Official Forum Member

"God does not give a damn what goes on in athletics. Nor should he".

- Bob Knight

Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

I have certainly heard some classic lines by coaches and fans directed toward officials, but what truly interests me is some of the classic one liners officials have directed to coaches. I would love to hear some of the zingers, and one-liners officials have spewed at a coach...I don't mean anything derogatory, just some funny anecdote that I may put in my bag, should I find myself in such a situation. Tell me what you think of this one...I was calling a girls' varsity game, and the coach, who buy the way is one of the better coaches in the city, gets upset with me for a calling an off ball foul on her post player for wrapping the defender with her off arm and pinning her. The coach replied that she was just banging just as the boys do. I calmly turned to her and said "Coach, that was a nongender-specific call." She just smiled wryly, and returned to the bench. I felt pretty good about how I handled the situation.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by agmattbballref
I have certainly heard some classic lines by coaches and fans directed toward officials, but what truly interests me is some of the classic one liners officials have directed to coaches. I would love to hear some of the zingers, and one-liners officials have spewed at a coach...I don't mean anything derogatory, just some funny anecdote that I may put in my bag, should I find myself in such a situation. Tell me what you think of this one...I was calling a girls' varsity game, and the coach, who buy the way is one of the better coaches in the city, gets upset with me for a calling an off ball foul on her post player for wrapping the defender with her off arm and pinning her. The coach replied that she was just banging just as the boys do. I calmly turned to her and said "Coach, that was a nongender-specific call." She just smiled wryly, and returned to the bench. I felt pretty good about how I handled the situation.
I feel pretty good about how you handled that situation too. Good job Matt!
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
"That's fine with me -- He knows the rules, and you don't!"
It would have been great if your partner had told her that you were an atheist!

PS
Since rainmaker has already responded to that quote, I'll post this little bit of info from webster.com. Perhaps some will find it interesting.

Main Entry: al·right
Pronunciation: (")ol-'rIt, 'ol-"
Function: adverb or adjective
: ALL RIGHT
usage The one-word spelling alright appeared some 75 years after all right itself had reappeared from a 400-year-long absence. Since the early 20th century some critics have insisted alright is wrong, but it has its defenders and its users. It is less frequent than all right but remains in common use especially in journalistic and business publications. It is quite common in fictional dialogue, and is used occasionally in other writing .

My HS English teacher refused to recognize the one-word spelling.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

Girls Varsity Game. Call foul on defensive player from C opposite. Go to table to report the foul. Coach asks if I had a good look at it. I said from where I was, it was very clear. Coach says "I'm not upset with you. I'm upset with my girls. I'm just taking it out on you." I said "Coach, I'm used to it. I'm married." She just grinned and sat down.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

Oh, and one other thing. God does not interfere with athletics, except when Notre Dame beats Michigan. see: The Hand of God
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So I end up calling a team control foul(because everbody i'm sure knows that in ncaa women's ball there is no such thing as a player control foul).

nvrmind

[Edited by icallfouls on Apr 5th, 2005 at 12:11 PM]
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by FrankHtown
Oh, and one other thing. God does not interfere with athletics, except when Notre Dame beats Michigan. see: The Hand of God
I thought that was Maradonna in the World Cup. . .
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by icallfouls
Quote:
So I end up calling a team control foul(because everbody i'm sure knows that in ncaa women's ball there is no such thing as a player control foul).
nvrmind
[Edited by icallfouls on Apr 5th, 2005 at 12:11 PM]
I don't know what you wrote before you edited this post, but I noticed the same thing. I'm pretty sure that there are still player control fouls in NCAA women's ball, although the signal is different from the men's signal.

The only type of foul that the men have and the women don't have (as far as I know) is the intentional technical foul for dead ball contact.

If I'm wrong about the women still using the PC, then I'm sure someone will correct me.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

There is no such thing as a player control foul in ncaa women's ball. It is always a team control foul which is signaled by jabbing your right arm in the direction the ball is to be awarded.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
There is no such thing as a player control foul in ncaa women's ball. It is always a team control foul which is signaled by jabbing your right arm in the direction the ball is to be awarded.
4-26-8.b?
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Good,great, and grand point Dan, but where can you find the signal that backs that up. Do you just tell the score keeper that it was a player-control. The ncaa rule book specifically says that the hand behind the head is only used in men's ball
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Good,great, and grand point Dan, but where can you find the signal that backs that up. Do you just tell the score keeper that it was a player-control. The ncaa rule book specifically says that the hand behind the head is only used in men's ball
The hand behind the head means both TC & PC in men's ball (I don't do women's ball). I don't tell them nothing unless they ask. It's usually obvious which one I'm calling.