The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 09, 2005, 03:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Mikesears and M&M Guy,

Did you guys not see my Pretzel post at the beginning?

Peace
Huh?...What, me pay attention?

Actually, I was just distracted by looking through the proposed NCAA brackets for that team from Ann Arbor.
M&M,

We have a national championship in our trophy case. Illinois might not make it to the Final Four. Then you they will be just like the football team, no hardware as usual.

Peace
Old Wed Mar 09, 2005, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Montana has the following 'unusual' high School team names:
Belfry - Bats
Chinook - Sugarbeeters
Sweet Grass - Sheepherders
Nashua - Porcupines
Old Wed Mar 09, 2005, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
We have a national championship in our trophy case. Illinois might not make it to the Final Four. Then you they will be just like the football team, no hardware as usual.

Peace
Ouch.

The reason that one hurts is because my wife and I were married April 1, 1989. (My wife picked that day, by the way - I'm still not sure which one of us was the fool.) For those that aren't MI or IL fans, that's the evening they met in the Final Four. When we found out that's when they would be playing, we had to make arrangements to bring our TV to the reception, otherwise everyone would be leaving early to go watch the game elsewhere. As it turned out, other people had the same thought, and we ended up with 6 TVs at our reception. Of course, the DJ had to wait until the game was over before he was allowed to make any noise. Once the game was over, the mood was rather subdued. For about ten minutes. Then the DJ started playing tunes, and the party started.

But it's all Michigan's fault our marriage started off badly!

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Mar 09, 2005, 06:06pm
Do not give a damn!!

M&M,

Thank you for the banter. I have to get my practice on when I go the United Center for the next 4 days. Illinois will probably win the thing (Go Wisconsin) and I will have to hear all weekend how Illinois is going to win the NC this year. Well you lost to Ohio State. OHIO STATE!!!! How did that happen?

Peace
Old Wed Mar 09, 2005, 06:11pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
M&M,
... I will have to hear all weekend how Illinois is going to win the NC this year. ...

I wonder how many people are going to take them all the way in their bracket?!?!
Old Wed Mar 09, 2005, 07:40pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Detroit Southeastern HS is the Jungaleers

Personally, I'm surprised nobody claims that that mascot is politically incorrect.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Wed Mar 09, 2005, 08:58pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Speaking of politically incorrect - back in the day, the Pekin (IL) team was called the Chinks. I hope they've changed it.

Still, the most politically incorrect team is in the NFL - the Washington Redskins. That's offensive. And don't tell me they're named after a type of nut.
Old Wed Mar 09, 2005, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Here in Utah we have one called the Jordan Beet Diggers
Old Thu Mar 10, 2005, 06:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drothamel
My HS alma mater is located in Fluvanna County, VA. We are the Flying Flucos. "Fluco" is short for Fluvanna County. There have been numerous attempts to create a mascot that would go along with "Fluco"-- all to no avail. Currently, the logo is a flying "F." Although it used to be a flying foot, much like the symbol most of us see track teams use. As a result of the flying foot logo, the gym here is referred to as "The Shoebox."

Waynesboro High School, just over the mountain from me, call themselves, The Little Giants. Harrisonburg High School, home of George Toliver's Daughter, are the Blue Streaks.

One time when I was travelling in West Virginia, I seem to recall a high school there in Polk County who called themselves the Dots.
Are you going to Richmond on Saturday for any of the games? I got my state pass (good for any game, any sport), and my wife gave me a "kitchen pass" for the day.
Old Thu Mar 10, 2005, 07:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Speaking of politically incorrect - back in the day, the Pekin (IL) team was called the Chinks. I hope they've changed it.

Still, the most politically incorrect team is in the NFL - the Washington Redskins. That's offensive. And don't tell me they're named after a type of nut.
Being a Cowboy fan, we call them the "Deadskins". I wish we played them 16 times a season. Can you say 13 of the last 14?
Old Thu Mar 10, 2005, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by dblref
Quote:

Being a Cowboy fan, we call them the "Deadskins". I wish we played them 16 times a season.
They might have a shot at a winning record if they did.
Old Thu Mar 10, 2005, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
M&M,

Thank you for the banter. I have to get my practice on when I go the United Center for the next 4 days. Illinois will probably win the thing (Go Wisconsin) and I will have to hear all weekend how Illinois is going to win the NC this year. Well you lost to Ohio State. OHIO STATE!!!! How did that happen?

Peace
Well, at least you know, deep down in your heart, that this year it would've been WAY more embarrasing to lose to a Wolverine than a Buckeye! Besides, even North Carolina can lose to Santa Clara. SANTA CLARA!!!! Now, YOU tell me how that happened?

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Mar 10, 2005, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Yes, they did change it several years ago to the Dragons and Lady Dragons.

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Mar 10, 2005, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

A school around here (Wayne, MI) is called the Wayne Zebras. The student section wears referee shirts at the last home game and delivers some interesting cheers and chants with every call during the game. Its was pretty funny to see the sea of black and white striped shirts. Go Zebras!
Old Thu Mar 10, 2005, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Here are some more from Illinois:

Monmouth Zippers
Centralia Orphans
Freeburg Midgets
New Berlin Pretzels
Tuetoplolis Wooden Shoes
Franklin (now merged) Flashes
Jasper (now only middle school) Polecats
Fairfield Mules

As for Indiana, I've done lots of games for those Twigs, Kickapoos, Elites (pronounced EEELIGHTS) and Rappites that were mentioned earlier.