Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by drothamel
My personal favorite would have to be rock, paper scissors. Although I think that a fight to the death at center court, with all of the players circled round, between the officials in question would be much more entertaining that going to the possession arrow.
Maybe, but the spectators didn't pay to see us.
Good point.

Let the 2 players fight to the death, loser gets the foul.
But does it have to be the two players involved? Or can the captains pick a fighter?
I think you guys should stop now... We got the point.
Old Wed Mar 02, 2005, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
My personal favorite would have to be rock, paper scissors. Although I think that a fight to the death at center court, with all of the players circled round, between the officials in question would be much more entertaining that going to the possession arrow.
Good point.

But does it have to be the two players involved? Or can the captains pick a fighter?
Good question. We have to do *something* until MTD publishes the proper procedure, so I would go with the 2 players involved, unless 1 of them was injured in the collision and the coach can name a replacement to take his place.
Old Wed Mar 02, 2005, 04:45pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Good point.

Good question. We have to do *something* until MTD publishes the proper procedure, so I would go with the 2 players involved, unless 1 of them was injured in the collision and the coach can name a replacement to take his place.
All of those are dumb.

Flip a cheerleader.
Old Wed Mar 02, 2005, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

do you guarantee you will catch the cheerleader JR, or will you too busy trying to see ..... lol
Old Wed Mar 02, 2005, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gordon30307
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
It's quite simply impossible to have a block and a charge. One of the officials is wrong. How you resolve this is a completely different issue. Going the double foul route is the wishy washee, beuracratic, kissing your sister, unable, to make a decision way to resolve this. If you're comfortable with that.... Hey whatever floats your boat.
And....how do you plan on resolving it, Gordon, if you call a charge and your partner calls a block...and your partner declines to change his call even though you tell him that, of course, you are right? I know that you've said that a blarge could never,ever in a gazillion years possibly occur when you're officiating, but humor me. You're already on record as saying that you won't change your call because to do so would be a "wishy-washy,bureaucratic,kissing your sister, unable to make a decision way to resolve this". Do you and your partner just stand there looking at each other while the players grow old and die, the earth cools and the solar system implodes? What's your solution?
Hey reading is a skill. Wishy-washy etal. is the double foul route. When I have a double whistle my fist goes up (no signal in this case) I find out what my partner has and if we differ we go to primary. If it's my primary and he/she still wants it (assuming we differ) I'll let him/her live or die with the call. If my partner (I trust my partner) feels that strongly perhaps my partner is right and I'm wrong.
You're still missing the point...We all agree that if no signals have been given you talk about it and make one call. But both have signaled in this case. What do you do now?

How can this happen? Consider if the play happened when both the defender and the dribbler had one foot in the lead's primary and one foot in the trail's primary and are moving in a direction parallel to the boundary of the primaries. Who's primary is it in? Both officials saw it as their primary.
Old Wed Mar 02, 2005, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It's quite simply impossible to have a block and a charge. One of the officials is wrong. How you resolve this is a completely different issue. Going the double foul route is the wishy washee, beuracratic, kissing your sister, unable, to make a decision way to resolve this. If you're comfortable with that.... Hey whatever floats your boat.
And....how do you plan on resolving it, Gordon, if you call a charge and your partner calls a block...and your partner declines to change his call even though you tell him that, of course, you are right? I know that you've said that a blarge could never,ever in a gazillion years possibly occur when you're officiating, but humor me. You're already on record as saying that you won't change your call because to do so would be a "wishy-washy,bureaucratic,kissing your sister, unable to make a decision way to resolve this". Do you and your partner just stand there looking at each other while the players grow old and die, the earth cools and the solar system implodes? What's your solution?
Hey reading is a skill. Wishy-washy etal. is the double foul route. When I have a double whistle my fist goes up (no signal in this case) I find out what my partner has and if we differ we go to primary. If it's my primary and he/she still wants it (assuming we differ) I'll let him/her live or die with the call. If my partner (I trust my partner) feels that strongly perhaps my partner is right and I'm wrong.
You're still missing the point...We all agree that if no signals have been given you talk about it and make one call. But both have signaled in this case. What do you do now?

How can this happen? Consider if the play happened when both the defender and the dribbler had one foot in the lead's primary and one foot in the trail's primary and are moving in a direction parallel to the boundary of the primaries. Who's primary is it in? Both officials saw it as their primary.
If this happened to me and I foolishly signaled with a double whistle and my partnered really wanted the call I would give it to him/her. My explanation to the unhappy Coach. Coach in our pregame we agreed whoever the play was going to would take the call. Coach it's impossible to have a block and charge on the same play I'm sure you agree. He would say yes and we would play on. Hey this is my hyopothetical play and I can end it this way if I like........
Old Wed Mar 02, 2005, 07:12pm
Administrator

It has been my observation over the years (34 years to be exact) that "blarges' occur very rarely in a three-person officating crew, but are quite common in a two-person officating crew. It is also my observation over the years, that when a "blarge" occurs in a game with a two-person officiating crew, the official who is calling a blocking foul is almost always calling out of his primary, did not see the entire play, was not officiating the defense, and is always wrong.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Mar 02, 2005, 07:47pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
[/B]
If this happened to me and I foolishly signaled with a double whistle and my partnered really wanted the call I would give it to him/her. My explanation to the unhappy Coach. Coach in our pregame we agreed whoever the play was going to would take the call. Coach it's impossible to have a block and charge on the same play I'm sure you agree. He would say yes and we would play on. Hey this is my hyopothetical play and I can end it this way if I like........ [/B][/QUOTE]Oh? And what ever happened to the concept of getting the call right? You know that you're right, but you're gonna go with your partner's call anyway?

Strange philosophy, Gordon, strange philosophy.
Old Wed Mar 02, 2005, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

Correct me if I'm wrong (like I need to solicit that invitation...)

I'm thinking 2-man here, but it can definately happen in 3-man.

I'm lead and I have a banger to call. It is bang-bang, blow the whistle and SELL your call. As the calling official you are into making the call and possibly didn't hear your partner's whistle (I have yet to notice anyone pointing this out) to even know to look what he has.

As the trail it is easier to notice if your partner has blown his whistle if you have simultaneious whistles because there isn't as much of a crowd in front of you. As lead you may have 6 guys all taller than you (as my case more than not) and can't see your partner. Nevermind the fact you are selling the snot out of your call to let everyone know you were on top of the play.

You can try to be deliberate all you want, but in a close game, a loud gym, and one that needs to be sold, I'm likely not to think about my partner having the call.
Old Thu Mar 03, 2005, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
If this happened to me and I foolishly signaled with a double whistle and my partnered really wanted the call I would give it to him/her. My explanation to the unhappy Coach. Coach in our pregame we agreed whoever the play was going to would take the call. Coach it's impossible to have a block and charge on the same play I'm sure you agree. He would say yes and we would play on. Hey this is my hyopothetical play and I can end it this way if I like........ [/B]
Oh? And what ever happened to the concept of getting the call right? You know that you're right, but you're gonna go with your partner's call anyway?

Strange philosophy, Gordon, strange philosophy. [/B][/QUOTE]

Hey J Not really. Impossible to have a block and charge on the same play. I trust my partner if he/she really feels strongly about it I have no problem giving them the benefit of the doubt. I'd rather fall on the sword and have the crew look good than look like a bunch of nitwits calling a double foul. Incidentally in terms of getting it right a double foul is definitely wrong.