The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 07:37pm
Huck Finn

We have had some snow in the Washington DC area since last week. I guess it is more the threat of a lot of snow that has prevented the kids from going to school since last Wednesday. Our playoffs already started after most areas and now we have lost three days since they can't play if they don't go to school.
Anyway, last night I got a call for a playoff game. This is THE game that I wanted all year long and all I can say is I'm blessed to do what I do for this assignment. This board has been a contributer to my continued development because it is basketball talk and I think it helps on the court. Whether I'm in agreement with the statements made on the forum they do help.
The game I've been assigned is the Washington Catholic league championship. The game was supposed to be starting about now but the snow has postponed it until tomorrow. I will be there with bells on. It is Dematha, which used to be coached by the great Morgan Wooten, versus O'Connell which is coached by Morgan Wooten's son Joey. I think this is just as big if not bigger than doing the boys 3A championship game in Nevada. Some people consider the Catholic league the toughest high school league in the country. O'Connell has a kid going to North Carolina and Dematha has kids going to Dayton and Virginia next year. I'm really looking forward to it.
On a side note. Dematha has a fan that really tries to jump on me during their games. It got to the point last time I had them that we both started laughing during a timeout because he knew I heard/saw/recognized him and I just thought it was funny to rewind the same thing over and over. He was pointing me out to his buddy because he saw I was trying really hard to keep a straight face. He came into the locker room and laughed about it after the game. My partner's thought it was one of my friends (he got into the locker room because it is right off the court and they don't have security).
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to drothamel
hey, congratulations. That is good stuff.
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 08:56pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Have a great game, Tom. Enjoy the hell out of it.
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

Congratulations, Tommy. Too bad Wooten isn't still coaching. He is without a doubt the #1 HS coach of all time. When I coached under 14 boys AAU, I got a copy of his book on coaching strategy. His pressure defense and offenses against the zone are pure gold. Out team came back from a 20 point half-time deficit by using his full court zone press. It was pure bedlam, man.

I know how tough the Catholic leagues are in cities like Washington and NY. I went to Molloy in NY.
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

tomegun - I'm an intermural ref at UMD-College Park and have been looking at moving up to HS ball (or a step in that direction) in the DC area for next season. Any advice or contacts you could recommend?

Thanks,

Brad
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 07:56am
Huck Finn

Brad, the local high schools use IAABO boards. PG county is serviced by board 134 and board 12 has Montgomery county, Howard county, the Catholic schools and some private schools. Board 12 does have a spring class. Tell me which one you are interested in and I can get you in touch with the right person. Also, I need some way of contacting you.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Tomegun: Congrats on your assignment, you are gonna have to tell me how it went offline. I am proud of you, man! I was hoping that you were gonna be on the game. You deserve it!!!!

Did you do that womens game that we talked about or did you turn it in?

Did you get any playoff games from 134?
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 08:30am
Huck Finn

Brian, call me.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Attaboy

T - What can I say. That is outstanding!!!
It's funny that you bring up the 3A Boys final in Nevada. I was lucky enough to get that game this year. I worked with Ron Petersen(SNOA)and Brett Mason(NNOA). This was Dayton vs. Faith Lutheran. It turned out to be a blowout but it was still fun. Not as fun as that Moapa/Dayton game we had though.
BTW - I also did the 4A Boys semi-final, Gorman vs. Galena. I was with Joe Puleri(our 3rd on that state final) and Rick Massey. 1st half was good but Gorman had too many horses. They ended up winning the final over Palo Verde. That was kind of an ugly game. Anthony Lewis got that game with Jeff Wells(he filled in at the last minute for Mike Brooks) and Mark Shannon(NNOA).
Also - Erica got the 4A girls final. She had some decent calls but Chris Bibbins said she is a huge pain in the *** on the floor and it looked like it. It looked like she had somewhere else to be.
Again - Nice Job T and let us know how it goes!!
AAR
Old Wed Mar 02, 2005, 07:10am
Huck Finn

The game was played last night and I had a busy basketball day. I will try to keep this post as short as possible.
I played in an over-30 playoff game at lunch. We jumped out on the other team 19-11 and ended up getting beat pretty bad. They have beaten us 3 times this season (we only had one other loss). Yours truly started off the game with 3 treys and my teammates began this “it is my turn to shoot now” crap that was our downfall. I got one good look for the rest of the game. During the second half I got called for an intentional foul for knocking an elbow out of my chest. Was the foul intentional? Yes. But, the other player was putting his elbow in my chest for about 5 steps and the ref didn’t say/do anything. I took myself out of the game for the remainder after this. I was more frustrated with the play of my team than the official so I couldn’t focus anymore. I know both refs and I told the guy after the game that I didn’t knocked the elbow out of my chest intentionally but it was there and I didn’t grow it there. The motion was such that my hand made contact with my chest at the same time it made contact with his elbow. It didn’t matter for the game and that was that.

On to the game I officiated.

I was the U1 on the game, I have worked with the R this year twice and I didn’t know the U2. There are small things about this game but three situations that were relevant.
The first half was good. During the second half a player from Team A was going in for a lay-up off of a semi-break when a player from Team B pulled him down/out of the air by his shoulders. The play is table-side and I’m C table-side. This was an easy call; intentional foul. Coach B (CB) began to complain loudly saying it was a terrible call and the like. Since no question was asked in a calm manner, no response was given. We continue on with the game and Team B is down like 18 points and began a comeback. Player B1 is about 6’3” and 250lbs. He is going to work in the middle. He is playing through some small stuff and scored 3 or 4 baskets in a row. At this point Coach A (CA) sends a smaller/less used player into the game just to guard B1. I’m watching closely to make sure he isn’t sent in as a “goon” especially since B1 has a reputation for being the “dirtiest player in the league” (I had already called a foul on him for pushing someone under the basket). During one play B1 has his arms up and elbows slightly out. He turns, in a basketball motion, to come just short of hitting the opposing player in the face. I’ve seen this kid so I know what he is trying to do. During a stoppage on the other end I tell him to cut it out and he gives me this “yeah, whatever” look. A few trips later he is coming down the court with his arms up and when he gets to the player guarding him he drops his left elbow down and hits the other kid in the face, not hard but intentional. I have another easy call; intentional foul. So I have two intentional fouls on Team B. At this point, my wife told me in the car, CB takes his jacket off and throws it down. He is throwing a small fit but we go on. He does some other stuff and one of my partners is talking to him (up close). There is a time out and the coach walks almost to the free-throw line clapping his hands saying something to me. His players have made it to the bench so they are behind him. After my partner reports the time out we come together and I tell them that at this point I don’t feel like I should T this coach but he is borderline. One of my partners says “we got you” and we break. Before we inbound the ball my other partner is talking to the coach again (up close). I don’t like this. This is the point where any communication between me and a coach who is trying to show my partner up will have some distance between us. Anyway we continue and Team A maintains the lead. With around 2 minutes left, A1 gets a dunk as B1 goes by in the air to contest but not foul. I’m C table-side right in front of CA. A1 hangs on the rim long enough to swing around and look at B1 almost taunting him. Once again I have an easy call; technical foul. CA says to me “you can’t call that, this is a championship game.” I respond by simply saying “coach he did it and it is a technical foul.” He pleads some more (he was using more of a pleading voice than yelling/complaining loudly since he was right beside me) and says something else about me making the call. Now I tell him “coach you should know that I don’t care and I will call anything out here” (that sounds kind of crude when typed but what I was telling him was the so-called magnitude of the game doesn’t make a difference to me). The light goes on and I think he realizes I’ve already called 2 intentional fouls on the other team and my MO since I’ve done his games is I will call what I think is right regardless of the situation. So now he says “you’re right, I’m sorry.” Team A goes on to win by double digits and their fans run on to the court. My partner that has talked to CB gets lost in the crowd somehow and my other partner asks me what happened to him as I’m walking through the door. I turn to look back and CB has come the entire length of the court and is saying something to me. In the locker room my partner didn’t understand why I would have a problem with him talking to the coach. I told him I think the coach was borderline for a T and I think it could look like he was consoling the coach after two intentional fouls to be up close talking to him when he is going off. He said something to the effect of “well I’ve known him for 15 years….” IMO that doesn’t matter to me and it isn’t the point. We went on but I think he was upset. As a person I like this guy and have no problem with him. However, I think we should do whatever is best for crew unity, harmony and comfort. When push comes to shove this is something that I have to do the right way regardless of coaches, players and the relevance of the game. I think we did pretty well but I also think there are some things that could be captured on tape that were missed. For me, I can’t remember a game where I made as many different calls (different violations, fouls, etc.) in a game. It was a blast. Sorry for the long post.
Old Thu Mar 03, 2005, 03:45am
Official Forum Member

AAR, I think that your partner was Ron Thompson, not Ron Peterson.

tomegun, You are a STUD!!!!!!!! Getting the Catholic League Final in just your second year back there is big. Although, you have been a college quality official for a while, but just lived in the wrong area. It is all coming to you now. Put me in the category that knows you fully deserved to be there.
There is no question that the game you did this year is better than any game in NV. Having seen both, I can assure you of that. I'm curious who your partners were though. Email me that info, if you think it is appropriate.

Sounds like you did some real work on that game and that it was a challenge to officiate. Congrats.

My three state games out here went fine. I had a boys and a girls 2A semi as well as the 1A girls final.
People were wondering if my whistle worked in the championship game because I didn't call a foul until there was 1:57 left in the 4th quarter! It wasn't a big deal though, since my partners only called six in the first half. The game just didn't necessitate many whistles. It was a close, finesse game in which nothing in my area warranted a foul, and I wasn't going out of my primary just to have a whistle. In fact, if I had gone the whole game without calling a foul that would have been just fine with me.

Old Thu Mar 03, 2005, 06:31am
Huck Finn

Nevada, what is your email address?
Old Thu Mar 03, 2005, 07:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bradfordwilkins
tomegun - I'm an intermural ref at UMD-College Park and have been looking at moving up to HS ball (or a step in that direction) in the DC area for next season. Any advice or contacts you could recommend?

Thanks,

Brad
Brad:

If you want to come across the Potomac and do some "real" HS ball, then consider the CBOA. We do all of northern VA. Check the web site at http://www.cboa.org.

Tom: Congrats on the BIG game. I met Coach Wooten a couple of years ago and he is a class individual.
Old Thu Mar 03, 2005, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
Nevada, what is your email address?
Nevadaref at hotmail dot com