The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 13, 2005, 01:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Had my first "fight" tonight, in a sense. Apparently, a player from one team punched a player from the opposing team after their game -- we're talking sixth grade girls, here. Sheez.

Team A won by about 40 or 50 -- I'm not sure how much. Team B had no talent, skill, athletic ability or understanding of the game. We let a lot go, which upset Coach A. Too Bad.

At halftime, Coach A gives us this routine about how B1 was setting illegal screens, and throwing elbows. He goes on and on about how we're letting too much go, and we should be calling it tighter. He's "especially concerned that B1 is going to hurt someone with those elbows." Notice that he put it in the future perfect, which is the appropriate tense to use for a conjectural future.

I talked to Coach B about the elbows. I didn't think they were all that serious, but I didn't want to be blamed if someone did take one in the nose or something. B1 was fine the rest of the game.

So who punched who, you ask? A Team A player punched B1! After A had won by who knows how many, they still felt they needed to get even for.... what? No one got hurt, no one ever even needed to duck or dodge to avoid her. Why did she deserve to be punched? God only knows. I just hope her parents press charges.
Old Sun Feb 13, 2005, 01:57am
Official Forum Member

Talking

A cat fight? You mean, nobody got their hair pulled?
Old Sun Feb 13, 2005, 02:05am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
A cat fight? You mean, nobody got their hair pulled?
Sounds more like a kitten fight. Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old Sun Feb 13, 2005, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

At halftime, Coach A gives us this routine about how B1 was setting illegal screens, and throwing elbows. He goes on and on about how we're letting too much go, and we should be calling it tighter. He's "especially concerned that B1 is going to hurt someone with those elbows."
There is the problem right there. Like coach like player.

If the coach told you all this, then there is no telling what he told his girls.

About how much the officials were causing them to lose because they won't call anything etc., and you have to fight back etc.,

And losing by 40 points. Give me a break.

Can't stand coaches that want to complain when the bottom line is they don't know how to coach.

Meow!!!

Thanks
David
Old Sun Feb 13, 2005, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

David B
Quote:
Had my first "fight" tonight, in a sense. Apparently, a player from one team punched a player from the opposing team after their game -- we're talking sixth grade girls, here. Sheez.

Team A won by about 40 or 50 -- I'm not sure how much. Team B had no talent, skill, athletic ability or understanding of the game. We let a lot go, which upset Coach A. Too Bad.

At halftime, Coach A gives us this routine about how B1 was setting illegal screens, and throwing elbows. He goes on and on about how we're letting too much go, and we should be calling it tighter. He's "especially concerned that B1 is going to hurt someone with those elbows." Notice that he put it in the future perfect, which is the appropriate tense to use for a conjectural future.

I talked to Coach B about the elbows. I didn't think they were all that serious, but I didn't want to be blamed if someone did take one in the nose or something. B1 was fine the rest of the game.

So who punched who, you ask? A Team A player punched B1! After A had won by who knows how many, they still felt they needed to get even for.... what? No one got hurt, no one ever even needed to duck or dodge to avoid her. Why did she deserve to be punched? God only knows. I just hope her parents press charges.

A punched B, the winner punched the vanquished, not the other way around.
Old Sun Feb 13, 2005, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

I am utterly disgusted by someone who would punch another human being.

Signed,
Jermaine O'Neil
Old Sun Feb 13, 2005, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Angry

It never fails....Coaches always trying to get an edge with the officials! Especially if they feel they are getting the short end of the calls.

Through the years, a veteran official who took me under his wing when I started some 30+ years ago said...."Whenever they try to get that edge and bend your ear their way by complaining how the other team is doing this or that, stop the discussion by saying....'whoa, just a second and hold those thoughts....let me get the other coach and YOU tell him/her what your problem with their team/player(s) is!'" Funny how quickly the coach responds to you, before you ask the other coach to join in on the conversation....that it's not a problem anymore. It WORKS! Everytime I have had to resort to this technique....it immediatly quells the situation and the complaining coach feels like a "dork".

Just my 2-cents....

wl
Old Sun Feb 13, 2005, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:

I know you didn't ask, but I'll throw in a coupla cents.

When Coach A comes to you with a complaint concerning Coach B's players you stop him and tell him Coach B needs to participate in the discussion. 99 times out of 100 Coach A will say "ahhhh...never mind..." and wander off.

What happens when you entertain Coach A one-on-one is you have allowed Coach A to place the burden of responsibility for any injuries his players might sustain in the second half squarely on your shoulders.

edit: imaref must be a faster typer than me!
Old Sun Feb 13, 2005, 02:56pm
M.A.S.H.

Keeps getting worse and worse. My question would be: where were the parents act to allow this type of conduct to occur? Just wondering...
Old Sun Feb 13, 2005, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dan_ref
[B]
Quote:
What happens when you entertain Coach A one-on-one is you have allowed Coach A to place the burden of responsibility for any injuries his players might sustain in the second half squarely on your shoulders.
I had seen clearly the plays that Coach A was talking about, and hadn't called any foul, becuase every time they happened, Team B lost the ball. This stuff just wasn't hurting Team A in any way. Notice that when Coach A talks to me at half-time, he said, "Someone is going to get hurt." No one had been hurt yet. After Coach A walked away, I talked to Coach B, the the problem was taken care of. In fact the little girl who had been setting such poor screens actually got a couple of good plays in the second half, where her teammate made a lay-up off the screen. Coach A was screaming, but there was absolutely nothing wrong.

The punch was Team A (bigger, faster, more skilled, more experienced) against little, fat, glasses player B, who had no self-defense skills of any kind. One girl held her arms, and the other punched her. Somehow, it's not Team A injuries that I'll be worrying about if I ever have them again.
Old Sun Feb 13, 2005, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rainmaker
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Notice that when Coach A talks to me at half-time, he said, "Someone is going to get hurt."
"Then we definitely need to discuss this with Coach B."

Old Sun Feb 13, 2005, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dan_ref
[B]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Notice that when Coach A talks to me at half-time, he said, "Someone is going to get hurt."
Hmmm....

I don't know quite why, but this kinda sticks in my craw. Are you saying that in this specific situation, when Coach A came over to me at half-time and started jawing, instead of just brushing him off, I should have invited Coach B over, too? You're not saying to do that every time a coach says, "Someone's going to get hurt?" It felt to me more like just more of the same yadda-yadda-yadda. What do you see here that makes this sitch different enough that it gets the special treatment?
Old Sun Feb 13, 2005, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rainmaker
[B]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hmmm....

I don't know quite why, but this kinda sticks in my craw. Are you saying that in this specific situation, when Coach A came over to me at half-time and started jawing, instead of just brushing him off, I should have invited Coach B over, too? You're not saying to do that every time a coach says, "Someone's going to get hurt?" It felt to me more like just more of the same yadda-yadda-yadda. What do you see here that makes this sitch different enough that it gets the special treatment?
What I see is that you listened to what Coach A had to say then went to Coach B to discuss.

You put yourself squarely in the middle.

BTW, I don't hear "Someone's going to get hurt" from coaches all that often but when I do I tell them if they're that concerned they can always take their team off the court. IOO, it aint my issue, it's yours.