The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 13, 2005, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

Question

A few of the middle school gyms are dating back to before the 3-pt line came into existance.

Now for free throws without the three-pt line, what restrictions were there for players who were not in a marked lane space?
Old Sun Feb 13, 2005, 06:52pm
Official Forum Member

The same as for courts with the 3 pt line.

You can't call it any other way, just eyeball it and call the obvious violations.

On an illegal court without a continuous division line are you going to not call a backcourt or 10 second violation because the line is not there?
Old Sun Feb 13, 2005, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
The same as for courts with the 3 pt line.

You can't call it any other way, just eyeball it and call the obvious violations.

On an illegal court without a continuous division line are you going to not call a backcourt or 10 second violation because the line is not there?
Well even if I don't call it that way, I'm still curious as to how it used to be.
Old Sun Feb 13, 2005, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

You mean

Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
A few of the middle school gyms are dating back to before the 3-pt line came into existance.

Now for free throws without the three-pt line, what restrictions were there for players who were not in a marked lane space?
I can only wait for Jurassic to jump in here... But as I recall in THOSE DAYS... You were actually allowed to line up 4 players on each side of the key... That allowed for 8 of the 10 players... the free-thrower was nine... And the 10th was always in the backcourt standing there looking good and I don't believe anyone ever thought he/she was in danger of breaking into the free-throw area after the release, after it struck the rim, or even after it hit the floor.
But I believe that in the event he/she got curious enough to move in closer, he/she was restricted by the free-throw lane arc above the free-thrower and the free-throw line extended..

Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he could be gone every weekend.
Old Sun Feb 13, 2005, 09:11pm
Administrator

Quote:

ref18:

Since there are no three-point lines on the court I am going to make the educated assumption that the league in which the school competes does not use the three-point field goal. There is one league in SE Michigan that does not use the three-point field goal at the jr. H.S. level and the courts do not have the three-point lines on the court.

Jr. H.S. games in this league revert back to the pre-three-point field goal rules for free throws with regard to players on in marked lane spaces. Those rules state that players not in marked lane spaces must be behind the free throw-line extended and the free throw circle.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Feb 13, 2005, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:

ref18:

Since there are no three-point lines on the court I am going to make the educated assumption that the league in which the school competes does not use the three-point field goal. There is one league in SE Michigan that does not use the three-point field goal at the jr. H.S. level and the courts do not have the three-point lines on the court.

Jr. H.S. games in this league revert back to the pre-three-point field goal rules for free throws with regard to players on in marked lane spaces. Those rules state that players not in marked lane spaces must be behind the free throw-line extended and the free throw circle.

MTD, Sr.
Thanks MTD, Sr. That's the info I was looking for
Old Sun Feb 13, 2005, 09:40pm
Administrator

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:

ref18:

MTD, Sr.
Thanks MTD, Sr. That's the info I was looking for

ref18:

Your welcome. And score another one for the bald old geezer set.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio