Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 11, 2005, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RollTide
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
, so I stop signed him, he then goes on to say, "you guys are aweful" so I whack him.

from what I'm reading into this, the coach has apparently not been pleased with either of you. He may not have said anything til this, but, just because a coach hasn't voiced his/her displeasure doesn't mean they've approved of our work.

Just my perception here, but, from reading your post here, as well as others over the past couple of months, you appear to be a young official that goes onto the court with an ego trip wanting to flaunt your authority.

Don't get me wrong, I know when we go onto the court we are supposed to be in control of the game. But, in officiating basketball, game and people management have almost become as (if not more) important as proper mechanics, judgment, etc.

In reading this forum, it appears there are a few officials that consider a coach commenting or complaining about a call/no-call as unsportsmanlike conduct worthy of being issued a technical foul. Folks, most of these coaches jobs are on the line dependant upon their team's success. Part of their job as a coach is to question why we did or didn't make any particular call. That IS within their legal parameters.

Now, before some of you bring up the 'where in the rule book does it say that a coach may question us' bit, I know what the rule book says concerning 'any bench personnel may not try to influence call', but, if we don't learn to use common sense here, our life as an official won't proceed very high up the ladder. If officiating middle school and lower level games is your ambition, then carry the "everyone should be privileged that I'm refereeing this game tonight' attitude to every game and see how far it will take ya.

Just my 2 cents
1. I would've loved for my partner to toss the guy, but my partner was really reluctant to give the T when we talked about it.

2. This isn't some power trip for me. I don't T up every coach I see, you've got to earn it. If you coach your players and say little to the refs, I'm not gonna T you up, but if you're complaing after every call that's been made or not made I will deal with you.

3. Later on in the game I did tell him if he caused me to T him up again, he'd be ejected, that seemed to calm him down some.

4. In my opinion there are no legal paramaters for a coach to voice displeasure with a call/no call. He may ask a nice question about it, but that is it.

5. Thanks guys for backing me up, it's nice to see that you all don't think the same way as this idiot
Old Sat Feb 12, 2005, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ref18
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by RollTide
Quote:
, so I stop signed him, he then goes on to say, "you guys are aweful" so I whack him.

from what I'm reading into this, the coach has apparently not been pleased with either of you. He may not have said anything til this, but, just because a coach hasn't voiced his/her displeasure doesn't mean they've approved of our work.

Just my perception here, but, from reading your post here, as well as others over the past couple of months, you appear to be a young official that goes onto the court with an ego trip wanting to flaunt your authority.

Don't get me wrong, I know when we go onto the court we are supposed to be in control of the game. But, in officiating basketball, game and people management have almost become as (if not more) important as proper mechanics, judgment, etc.

In reading this forum, it appears there are a few officials that consider a coach commenting or complaining about a call/no-call as unsportsmanlike conduct worthy of being issued a technical foul. Folks, most of these coaches jobs are on the line dependant upon their team's success. Part of their job as a coach is to question why we did or didn't make any particular call. That IS within their legal parameters.

Now, before some of you bring up the 'where in the rule book does it say that a coach may question us' bit, I know what the rule book says concerning 'any bench personnel may not try to influence call', but, if we don't learn to use common sense here, our life as an official won't proceed very high up the ladder. If officiating middle school and lower level games is your ambition, then carry the "everyone should be privileged that I'm refereeing this game tonight' attitude to every game and see how far it will take ya.

Just my 2 cents
1. I would've loved for my partner to toss the guy, but my partner was really reluctant to give the T when we talked about it.

2. This isn't some power trip for me. I don't T up every coach I see, you've got to earn it. If you coach your players and say little to the refs, I'm not gonna T you up, but if you're complaing after every call that's been made or not made I will deal with you.

3. Later on in the game I did tell him if he caused me to T him up again, he'd be ejected, that seemed to calm him down some.

4. In my opinion there are no legal paramaters for a coach to voice displeasure with a call/no call. He may ask a nice question about it, but that is it.

5. Thanks guys for backing me up, it's nice to see that you all don't think the same way as this idiot
Yea, Yea, What Jurassic, and Ref_18 and SF said!!

And not only that, RollTide, you didn't use the word "parameters" correctly. Pig Pile!
Old Sat Feb 12, 2005, 01:24am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rainmaker
[B]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by RollTide
Quote:

Just my 2 cents

Yea, Yea, What Jurassic, and Ref_18 and SF said!!

And not only that, RollTide, you didn't use the word "parameters" correctly. Pig Pile!
I feel left out.
Old Sat Feb 12, 2005, 01:39am
Official Forum Member

Yea, Yea. What Blindzebra said in both his posts. Kudos.
Old Sat Feb 12, 2005, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jayzer
Exclamation old habits

Your imput please.
At the lower age groups or even at Gd.9 and 10, after I have whacked the coach who has no asst., do you take a little more abuse since if you give him another there would be no adult to carry on as coach.

Old Sat Feb 12, 2005, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Re: old habits

Quote:
Originally posted by Jayzer
Your imput please.
At the lower age groups or even at Gd.9 and 10, after I have whacked the coach who has no asst., do you take a little more abuse since if you give him another there would be no adult to carry on as coach.
After I give the first T in a situation like this, I'll have my partner explain to the coach that because there's no one to take over for him, the consequences if he's ejected.

Usually, they behave themselves, because they know its for the kids. If not, then there isn't much I can do to keep him in the game.

On another note, today I had an awesome partner who gave coaches the T when they deserved it, taking some pressure off me, we didn't eject anyone, but the T's were evenly distributed between us.
Old Sat Feb 12, 2005, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to PA Official
How many T's are you talking about? Just for curiosity's sake, approximately how many do you average a game?
Old Sat Feb 12, 2005, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PA Official
How many T's are you talking about? Just for curiosity's sake, approximately how many do you average a game?
I average less than 1 a game.

I've never had to T up a coach in a high school contest, they're all well behaved.

I've T'd up a few middle school coaches.

We have something like the AAU (I think that's what it would equate to) There's practically a tournament a week, and that's where the majority of my T's go. Those coaches are complete nut-bars (no offense if anyone here coaches an OBA team ).

I've given out a few in rec leagues. Not many though, those ones usually are handed out because of a coaches inexperience.

If I were to give a total it's about 20-30 a year.
Old Sat Feb 12, 2005, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RollTide
[B]
Quote:

Just my 2 cents
Excellent post!!
Old Sat Feb 12, 2005, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Red face

birds of a feather...