View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 11, 2005, 05:53pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs down

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RollTide
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
, so I stop signed him, he then goes on to say, "you guys are aweful" so I whack him.

from what I'm reading into this, the coach has apparently not been pleased with either of you. He may not have said anything til this, but, just because a coach hasn't voiced his/her displeasure doesn't mean they've approved of our work.

Just my perception here, but, from reading your post here, as well as others over the past couple of months, you appear to be a young official that goes onto the court with an ego trip wanting to flaunt your authority.

Don't get me wrong, I know when we go onto the court we are supposed to be in control of the game. But, in officiating basketball, game and people management have almost become as (if not more) important as proper mechanics, judgment, etc.

In reading this forum, it appears there are a few officials that consider a coach commenting or complaining about a call/no-call as unsportsmanlike conduct worthy of being issued a technical foul. Folks, most of these coaches jobs are on the line dependant upon their team's success. Part of their job as a coach is to question why we did or didn't make any particular call. That IS within their legal parameters.

Now, before some of you bring up the 'where in the rule book does it say that a coach may question us' bit, I know what the rule book says concerning 'any bench personnel may not try to influence call', but, if we don't learn to use common sense here, our life as an official won't proceed very high up the ladder. If officiating middle school and lower level games is your ambition, then carry the "everyone should be privileged that I'm refereeing this game tonight' attitude to every game and see how far it will take ya.

Just my 2 cents
Fwiw, I disagree completely with your 2 cents. If you wanna take crap from coaches on a consistent basis, hey, be my guest. Butt-kissing is only gonna take you so far though. If you're afraid of confrontation, you need to find another avocation.

And saying that questioning calls is "within their legal parameters" is just a complete crock'o'crap too.

Don't confuse people and game managements with trying to avoid your responsibilities with regards to proper bench conduct. They're completely different.