LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Arm Wags

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
Originally posted by ronny mulkey
I get my count going when the possession changes, rebounds, throwins, etc. AND I try to grab the clock. If my arm wags are at 8 and the clock shows 10 seconds have elapsed, i'll blow the violation. When I don't grab the clock, I am going with my arm wags. My counts are probably a little slow.

Mulk
And if I'm a coach who is watching and counting your arm "wags" I'm going to be slightly more than a little pi$$ed when you count 8 and call a 10-second violation.

Do you swing your arms 4 times on a five-second closely guarded call, too?

I'm with you Rich, he's gonna be mad if he gets discounted on arm swings. But why in the world would he be watching your arm swings when his team can't get the ball across half-court? I suppose he could be watching on an inbound play or closely guarded situation.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

Damn, no wonder oil is $45+ a bbl with all you people cranking up the 1100W microwave to check your counts.

Doesn't anybody own a watch with a second hand anymore???!!!
I do not actually turn on the oven part of the microwave, just the timer.
I actually *do* turn on the oven, but not for the purpose of practicing my counts! I turn on the oven to ... heat up food, including my daily morning oatmeal (yum!). But, since the oven is going, I might as well get a second use (practicing counts) out of it!
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bgtg19
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

Damn, no wonder oil is $45+ a bbl with all you people cranking up the 1100W microwave to check your counts.

Doesn't anybody own a watch with a second hand anymore???!!!
I do not actually turn on the oven part of the microwave, just the timer.
I actually *do* turn on the oven, but not for the purpose of practicing my counts! I turn on the oven to ... heat up food, including my daily morning oatmeal (yum!). But, since the oven is going, I might as well get a second use (practicing counts) out of it!
That reminds me of the stories of how the Native Americans made sure to use all the parts of a buffalo one they made a kill.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

I'm with almost everyone else in that a slow count is better than a fast one. I work on my count in lower level games. When there is not pressure, keep an eye on the clock while a player brings the ball up. It worked well for me.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Quote:
Originally posted by gostars
Quote:
Originally posted by TimTaylor
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Personally, I'm on the same pace as you, as is my crew.
Ditto here. I feel the if you're going to err, it's much better to do so on the long side. It's kinda hard to defend a 10 second violation when only 8 have run off the clock.....
Counting slower is defiantly better the counting fast. I was told about a situation that happened earlier this year. Team A calls a time out. After the time out they inbound the ball in the backcourt. The official calls a ten-second violation. Teams A's scorekeeper had written down how much time was on the clock when the time out was called. Only eight seconds had come off the clock. OUCH! Coach wasn't too happy about that. He tried to give some excuse that the count starts before the clock but the coach didn't buy it.
So let's say Team A calls a time-out again and Team B notices that 12 seconds went off the clock and the official didn't call a 10-second violation. You aren't any better off in that situation for having counted slow as you are if you the official counted too fast. Each official should just try to be as accurate as possible.

Z
I've seen this happen, the official said his count only reached nine, so he reset the clock as if only 9 seconds had elapsed. A little bit unorthodox, and it showed that this official was quite good at thinking on his feet. Although it's not what I would've done, it was pretty cool.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 03:31pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
[/B]
I've seen this happen, the official said his count only reached nine, so he reset the clock as if only 9 seconds had elapsed. A little bit unorthodox, and it showed that this official was quite good at thinking on his feet. Although it's not what I would've done, it was pretty cool. [/B][/QUOTE]Unfortunately, the rules don't allow the official to use that procedure. He was wrong.

The direction is given in casebook play 5.10.1SitC--"If the count was not accurate or was not made, it cannot be corrected. There is no provision for the correction of an error made in the official's accuracy in counting seconds".

Iow, uncool.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
I've seen this happen, the official said his count only reached nine, so he reset the clock as if only 9 seconds had elapsed. A little bit unorthodox, and it showed that this official was quite good at thinking on his feet. Although it's not what I would've done, it was pretty cool. [/B]
Unfortunately, the rules don't allow the official to use that procedure. He was wrong.

The direction is given in casebook play 5.10.1SitC--"If the count was not accurate or was not made, it cannot be corrected. There is no provision for the correction of an error made in the official's accuracy in counting seconds".

Iow, uncool. [/B][/QUOTE]

As I said, it's not what I would've done, I would've first explained to the coach that the game clock starts on the touch, and the 10 second count starts when backcourt control is established. That would probably eat up one second, and then explain the second worth of lag-time for the timer. So in the end, 11 off the clock = 9 for the 10 second count.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Arm Wags

Quote:
Quote:
I get my count going when the possession changes, rebounds, throwins, etc. AND I try to grab the clock. If my arm wags are at 8 and the clock shows 10 seconds have elapsed, i'll blow the violation. When I don't grab the clock, I am going with my arm wags. My counts are probably a little slow.

Mulk
And if I'm a coach who is watching and counting your arm "wags" I'm going to be slightly more than a little pi$$ed when you count 8 and call a 10-second violation.

Rich,

A team gets 10 seconds to get the ball across and if I can use the clock for an accurate 10, then I am going to use it. If I can't grab the clock then they will get 10 arm wags. I don't kmow many coaches that are making major decisions on the number of arm wags that I have made. If the coach gets pissed, then he'll just have to get pissed.

I have not incorporated the clock on my closely guarded
counts. I'm not that good.

Mulk
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 07:44pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Re: Re: Re: Arm Wags

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Mulk

Rich,

A team gets 10 seconds to get the ball across and if I can use the clock for an accurate 10, then I am going to use it. If I can't grab the clock then they will get 10 arm wags. I don't kmow many coaches that are making major decisions on the number of arm wags that I have made. If the coach gets pissed, then he'll just have to get pissed.

I have not incorporated the clock on my closely guarded
counts. I'm not that good.

Mulk
As long as you know you're not doing it the right way....
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

as long as you can keep those arm wag counting coaches happy..
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

10 is best, but it would be better to have 12 than to have 8.

Similarly, go for 5 - otherwise 6 is better than 4.

I found that I've worked the clock & shot clock for so long that my counts are pretty accurate (when working the shot clock, I can actually count it down in my head from 30/35 to 0). Just concentrate a bit more on the clock the next time you watch a game on TV - you might be surprised at how long/short certain things take.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2005, 01:01am
Official Forum Member

I practice all the time with the microwave timer.

I use 5 or 10 full arm swings chest to full extension and back to chest, so all my counts are 5 and a half and 10 and a half.

It seems to work because every time I've had a 5 or 10 second violation on tape it has always been right on the second to slightly beyond.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2005, 03:55am
Official Forum Member

What ever method you use to practice a count, be aware that the pace and intensity of a game will probably be a little higher than watching oatmeal cook. I seen people who's count vary with the intensity of the action.

[Edited by Camron Rust on Feb 10th, 2005 at 12:41 PM]
Old Thu Feb 10, 2005, 07:23am
Official Forum Member

Cruise Control

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
What ever method you use practice to practice a count, be aware that the pace and intensity of a game will probably be a little higher than watching oatmeal cook. I seen people who's count vary with the intensity of the action.
That is why you need cruise control during sex while driving......
Old Thu Feb 10, 2005, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
What ever method you use practice to practice a count, be aware that the pace and intensity of a game will probably be a little higher than watching oatmeal cook. I seen people who's count vary with the intensity of the action.
That's something I also wanted to emphasize. Other than being that ref, there's nothing worse than watching a rather good official whose count for one second is about 1 second long, but whose count gets shortened to about half a second for the fifth second.