Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Quote:
Originally posted by gostars
Quote:
Originally posted by TimTaylor
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Personally, I'm on the same pace as you, as is my crew.
Ditto here. I feel the if you're going to err, it's much better to do so on the long side. It's kinda hard to defend a 10 second violation when only 8 have run off the clock.....
Counting slower is defiantly better the counting fast. I was told about a situation that happened earlier this year. Team A calls a time out. After the time out they inbound the ball in the backcourt. The official calls a ten-second violation. Teams A's scorekeeper had written down how much time was on the clock when the time out was called. Only eight seconds had come off the clock. OUCH! Coach wasn't too happy about that. He tried to give some excuse that the count starts before the clock but the coach didn't buy it.
So let's say Team A calls a time-out again and Team B notices that 12 seconds went off the clock and the official didn't call a 10-second violation. You aren't any better off in that situation for having counted slow as you are if you the official counted too fast. Each official should just try to be as accurate as possible.

Z
I agree completely on accuracy - my 10 second count is consistently between 10 and 11 seconds.

In the scenario you propose, remember that the clock starts immediately as soon as the inbound pass is touched, while the 10 second count doesn't start until team (player) control is established. The majority of the time these occur simultaneously, but not always. It's not all that uncommon - I had it happen several times in a JV boys game last night. Defense was pressuring the inbound & tipped the inbound pass - I chop in the clock immediately. Players then scramble for the ball for several seconds before inbounding team finally gains control - only then did I start the 10-count.

The reality is that most newer officials count too quickly. I was working with a newer official a couple weeks ago & noticed his count was pretty quick. At half time I had him do a 10-count while using my watch to time it - turned out his 10-count was 7.5 seconds. He consciously slowed down it a little in the 2nd half & it was much better.