Old Sun Feb 06, 2005, 01:30pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
FYI, I have a Masters degree in Political Science from a Big 10 University.
Which one? I live near a Big 10 University
See if you can figure it out from this clue: it has the #1 ranked basketball team in the country.

As to why I didn't pass on the T - here's why. This rec league has a zero tolerance policy in grades three through eight on unsportsmanlike comments to officials from coaches, players and fans. All profanity is an automatic flagrant technical - if from a coach, it usually also includes a suspension.

I had already passed on the head coach saying "Blow the damn whistle" because he said it under his breath and no one other than him and me heard it. But when the a$$. coach yelled his crap out loudly at me directly in front of his team, I really had no choice under those rules.

[Edited by Mark Padgett on Feb 6th, 2005 at 01:10 PM] [/B]
It's not Northwestern, is it?

Illinois has a really nice team. I thought Wisconsin was going to get to them, but they really blew Wisconsin out quickly in the second half.

I worked a boys varsity game that night about 90 miles from the ranch and decided to grab a bite to eat in a drive-thru on my way home. Well, they had to make the food fresh, so I sat there and listened to the game on the radio -- when I got my soda Wisconsin was up eight, when I got my food, Illinois was up three. And it was pretty clear it was over.
Old Sun Feb 06, 2005, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Quote:

A M.A. in PoliSci from Illinois, eh?

You've probably seen this, then:

http://www.kontrabandcontent.co.uk/1...state_anim.swf

A bit of a stretch, but I'd love to hear your take on it...
Old Sun Feb 06, 2005, 05:04pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down

[QUOTE]Originally posted by canuckrefguy
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

A M.A. in PoliSci from Illinois, eh?

You've probably seen this, then:

http://www.kontrabandcontent.co.uk/1...state_anim.swf

A bit of a stretch, but I'd love to hear your take on it...
It's more than just "a bit" of a stretch. The authors (who appear to be Brits, based on the URL) are implying all of their criteria are government based, when in fact, many are private industry based or societal based. This invalidates their entire premise. They also state opinions as facts (a practice of the very "Fascist press" they despise). Not only that, I disagree with the existence of many of their points. I think many Europeans don't understand we are at war.

I could write a paper picking this video apart point by point, but I don't have the time right now. I have to wash my socks.
Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thee xbear
Quote:
This morning I whacked an a$$. (yes, that's how I abbreviate assistant) coach. My partner passed on a travel call against the other team with 1 second to go in the 3rd quarter and a 40 point differential. At the horn, this jerk comes up to me and says we "might as well swallow our whistles". WHACK!

I go over to the table to report it. My partner is standing there. I report the T. The scorekeeper didn't see what happened and innocently asks why I called the T.

My partner jumps in and says the coach violated the "Mark Padgett rule". The scorekeeper asks what that is. He says "You never raise your voice or talk back to Mark Padgett. It's an automatic T. It's in the rules". The scorekeeper says he didn't know that. My partner says "It's rule 11". The scorekeeper says "Oh, OK".

As we walked away, I asked my partner where he came up with that. He said that after working with me for years and watching me in action, he just assumed it was a rule because that's what always happens.
Yall are the type of @$$holes that I hope I never get...

You don't seem to be our favorite type of coach either. You suggest Mark finding another gig, maybe you have to realize that Saturday afternoon Rec Ball is not an audition for coaching at a D2 program. In fact, if you really believe what you said, then that probably explains why your kids play like they do.
Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

There is no "taking a little lip" in rec games. The players are there to learn. The officials know what they're doing. I had a guy this weekend in a 7th grade weekend tournament tell me he didn't like my "dirty look" when he complained about my partner's block call. I explained that if he didn't like my warning sign, ie the look, next time I'd skip the warning. He also said that it was the only time he complained. I told him at that level, once is one too many times. Coach your team, pat them on the back, go get some ice cream.
Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 03:17pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by thee xbear
Quote:
This morning I whacked an a$$. (yes, that's how I abbreviate assistant) coach. My partner passed on a travel call against the other team with 1 second to go in the 3rd quarter and a 40 point differential. At the horn, this jerk comes up to me and says we "might as well swallow our whistles". WHACK!

I go over to the table to report it. My partner is standing there. I report the T. The scorekeeper didn't see what happened and innocently asks why I called the T.

My partner jumps in and says the coach violated the "Mark Padgett rule". The scorekeeper asks what that is. He says "You never raise your voice or talk back to Mark Padgett. It's an automatic T. It's in the rules". The scorekeeper says he didn't know that. My partner says "It's rule 11". The scorekeeper says "Oh, OK".

As we walked away, I asked my partner where he came up with that. He said that after working with me for years and watching me in action, he just assumed it was a rule because that's what always happens.
Yall are the type of @$$holes that I hope I never get...

No, you are the a**hole I hope I don't get so I don't have you put you in your place.

[Edited by tjones1 on Feb 7th, 2005 at 03:21 PM]
Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 03:25pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

Guys - thanks for all the support. You are better than my truss.
Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Does that make us official supporters? How does that differ from athletic supporters?
Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Why is everyone still bagging on this guy - he went away quite a while ago (and if you're reading this, bear, that mean's Quat a Whall ago).

PS, bear - you don't "touche" your own comeback, dumbass. You "touche" when the other guy gets you and you're acknowledging it.

PPS - please stay away, you're giving (that's "your given")us Southerners a bad name.
Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Okay..........too much information
Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 06:59pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by canuckrefguy
Quote:
Okay..........too much information
You should see me in shorts with the truss and fishnets. On second thought, maybe you shouldn't.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

do you wear patent leather or regular leather? I'm talking about what referee shoes you wear with fishnets, not even curious about your patent leather fishnets.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 09:17am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
do you wear patent leather or regular leather? I'm talking about what referee shoes you wear with fishnets, not even curious about your patent leather fishnets.
All-black patent-leather referees shoes with a 5-inch spiked heel and a matching strap are de rigeur for the well-dressed Portland official.

It's kind of a west coast thing.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
All-black patent-leather referees shoes with a 5-inch spiked heal and a matching strap are de rigeur for the well-dressed Portland official.

Yea, I figured. Cuz they don't wear those here in St. Louis. Hey, on the brighter side, we do wear flannel material stripes.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 09:35am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
All-black patent-leather referees shoes with a 5-inch spiked heal and a matching strap are de rigeur for the well-dressed Portland official.

Yea, I figured. Cuz they don't wear those here in St. Louis. Hey, on the brighter side, we do wear flannel material stripes.
In Portland, the striped shirts are made from only the finest imported silks. Of course, a black push-up bra is also always worn underneath. Even by some of the female officials too.