The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Promised I would get the correct answer to this rules question and what better place to do it then on this forum.

A-1 is driving to the basket and dribbles the ball off a teamates foot - secures the ball with two hands and starts another dribble. I call a violation.

The question is asked - If he lost the ball because he dribbled the ball off an opposing teams players' foot, would it still be a double dribbble if he secured the ball and started another dribble?

Was the first violation called correctly when he lost the ball off a teamates foot?

Your help and comments please.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 09:27am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ranjo
Promised I would get the correct answer to this rules question and what better place to do it then on this forum.

A-1 is driving to the basket and dribbles the ball off a teamates foot - secures the ball with two hands and starts another dribble. I call a violation.

The question is asked - If he lost the ball because he dribbled the ball off an opposing teams players' foot, would it still be a double dribbble if he secured the ball and started another dribble?

Was the first violation called correctly when he lost the ball off a teamates foot?

9-5-3: "A player shall not dribble a second time after his/her first dribble has ended, unless it is after he/she lost conrol because of ...a pass or fumble which has then touched, or been touched by, another player."
[see 9.5.3 Situation; 4-31 Pass]
mick
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

I had never thought about this play before this post. I don't believe that this action qualifies as a pass or a fumble, nor does the ball hitting the opponent's foot equal a bat.
I'm having a hard time allowing a second dribble according the the strict reading of the rules.

Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 09:44am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
I had never thought about this play before this post. I don't believe that this action qualifies as a pass or a fumble, nor does the ball hitting the opponent's foot equal a bat.
I'm having a hard time allowing a second dribble according the the strict reading of the rules.

Nevadaref,
I see both as passes. (ie. Player bats ball to another player.) Intention is not required.
mick
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

1. A1 is standing in one spot and dribbling. A2 runs by A1. The ball accidentally strikes the foot of A2 and rolls away, then A1 chases it down, grabs it with two hands and starts to dribble.

Are you considering the action by A1 a pass or the action by A2?

Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 10:01am
In Memoriam

Quote:
1. A1 is standing in one spot and dribbling. A2 runs by A1. The ball accidentally strikes the foot of A2 and rolls away, then A1 chases it down, grabs it with two hands and starts to dribble.

Are you considering the action by A1 a pass or the action by A2?

Yes.
The ball moved from one player to another via a bat.
mick
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

I'm not calling that a double dribble. Another player touched the ball, whether accidently or intentionally while there was no PC by the previous dribbling.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Before this thread I wouldn't have called this a violation either, but now I am hung up on the wording of the rule. It certainly seems like a violation is the by-the-book call.

Do you guys agree with that, but are just saying that it is not a call you want to make?
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ranjo

We have all experieced "funny or odd looking plays." Sometimes they may have even caused us to whistle a violation that may have not been there. In looking at your post, I would think that if the play took place in close quarters, it would look more like a DD. If the ball rolled several feet away from the dribbler, it would appear that this was an interrupted dribble. In either case, I went to the rule book:

RULE 4-15.5 - An interrupted dribble occurs when the ball is loose after deflecting off the DRIBBLER or after it momentarily gets away from the dribbler.

OK, we have an interrupted dribble.

RULE 9-5

A player shall not dribble a second time after his/her first dribble has ended, unless it is after he/she has lost control because of:

ART. 1...A try for field goal. (Not the case)
ART. 2...A bat by an opponent. (Not the case)
ART. 3...A pass or fumble which has then touched, or been touched by, another player. (Interesting)

Still not sure, however, this will help:

RULE 4-21 FUMBLE

A fumble is the accidental loss of player control when the ball unintentionally drops or slips from a player's GRASP.

In my humble opinion, I believe you made the correct call.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Before this thread I wouldn't have called this a violation either, but now I am hung up on the wording of the rule. It certainly seems like a violation is the by-the-book call.

Do you guys agree with that, but are just saying that it is not a call you want to make?
It's an interrupted dribble. If it hits an opponents foot instead of a teammate's foot, would you call a double dribble?
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:

It's an interrupted dribble. If it hits an opponents foot instead of a teammate's foot, would you call a double dribble?
Before reading this post, I would not have called a DD. Now, I'm leaning towards the violation. Is it a FUMBLE in your case BktBallRef?
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 10:38am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:

How so?
Seems to me to have the same basic characterics as a bat/steal, or a pass.
mick
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

[/B][/QUOTE]

How so?
Seems to me to have the same basic characterics as a bat/steal, or a pass.
mick [/B][/QUOTE]

RULE 4-15.5 - An interrupted dribble occurs when the ball is loose after deflecting off the DRIBBLER or after it momentarily gets away from the dribbler.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by eventnyc
Before reading this post, I would not have called a DD. Now, I'm leaning towards the violation. Is it a FUMBLE in your case BktBallRef?
It's not a fumble. To fumble the ball, a player would have to be holding it. Further, you can't dribble, fumble, dribble.

The fact that the ball is loose (no player control) and another player touches it is enough for me.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
and another player touches it is enough for me.
This says it all.