Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
Now, many people have said in their responses taht the coach should call a time out to discuss the call. I'm all for that, although I've never had a coach do that, they seem to prefer standing and screaming . But back on topic, I admit that I have screwed up quite few calls (this may be a shock to most people ) and as soon as I make the call I realize this, but people are saying that the coach should try and get the officials to correct the call. Now I've never reversed one of my calls, if I know I made a bad one, while the coach is venting, I'll apologize to him/her for the bad call, but once I make the call, I live with the consequences.

If the officials were to correct the call, what is the procedure they would have to follow??
Had this happen in a varsity boys game. 2 whistle. I'm L, and partner turns around briefly to address V coach in H front court. While his head is turned, V1 comes up and knocks the ball out of H1's hand and into the backcourt. Partner just sees the ball go flying into the backcourt where H1 retrieves it.
Tweet, "Over and back."
Crowd and H coach go bonkers. Partner quickly realizes he may have missed something, so he calls me over. When I saw he had his head turned, I stretched my area to cover the ball for the moment and it paid off. He reversed his call and we gave the ball to H, not a peep from anyone.

Adam
this is a great example of: "Coach, you're distracting me"!
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Wink

I agree that you should ask the ref at the next dead ball or call a timeout and talk with the ref in a respectful manner.

I became a licensed official ( in part ) due to these type of situations. I was coaching our 5th grade girls team a couple of years ago when an official did not apply the rules correctly. One of our players fouled an opposing player while they were in the act of shooting. The official indicated that the player was fouled in the act of shooting and there would be 2 FT administered. The player shot the first FT and it did not hit anything so the official blows his whistle and gives us the ball. The opposing coach calls the official over and ask him what the call was and he said that it was a new rule from the state. The coach ( very nicely ) said that he had never heard of it and called me over to the conversation . I told the official that I thought that this was incorrect and only applied to a bonus situation and that the girl should get a second FT . He disagreed and called it that way the whole game. I never let my girls know about the problem and just had them concentrate on playing the game. This was a 4,5,6 grade tournament and game management could not be found. I found later that game management was contacted and the official was told of the proper ruling by a licensed official .
I really just concentrate on coaching the kids unless there is a rule that is not being applied correctly . I then ask the official during a timeout or a deadball to explain what they called . I try to do this as discretely as possible as to not get the crowd or my kids involved. I don't question any judgement calls and let the kids play.

Probably more than 2 cents worth .

Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

This is when I listen

It seems like the vast majority of coaches are fairly excitable types. I generally tune those folks out, responding when its appropriate but giving them no quarter.

If the coach is judicious with his comments/questions, doesn't make a face of disgust at my call, is respectful and measured, I'm more than willing to discuss or explain to him.

I've recently added to my bag the "I may have missed that one coach" comment. I've used it twice so far this season (about 15 games) and both times it's gone over well.

When a coach is coaching his team, not me, I find myself giving them a little more latitude with the box and any genuine concerns they bring to me.