The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 29, 2004, 05:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by coachgbert
Ask when it happens, at the next dead ball, some other time, like a time out?

I didn't ask for one particularly strange call and now my assistant coach, my own 12 year old daughter, won't let me live it down. It was the recent Christmas tourny game. We were inbounding the ball in a side line play, and hadn't released the ball yet. An official called a 3 second violation on us and turned the ball over to the other team. The defense was in the lane, my players were lined up at the sidelines waiting for the ball.

I didn't know what to say or how or when. The official just handed the ball to the other team and play resumed. I was shocked. Now my daughter thinks I have the capacity to be a wimpy coach and I should have at least pointed out the fact that the defense was in the lane not us. I didn't want to make anyone look bad, so I kept my mouth shut. These were two very new refs, that looked hardly older then my kids so I figured I'd cut them some slack. They both had quick whistles and called fouls left and right on both teams. It was an endless game because the clock stopped every 5 seconds, or so it seemed.

So when is it best to say something, or did I do okay and say nothing?

thanks,
Coach G

Wish all coaches were with u but from my perspective as a coach/referee/player/spectator depending on the clock if its close to a quarter brake or half time or if u are planning on calling a time out i would wait until then and calmy approach him/her. But if not next times theres a dead ball close to your coaching box.
Old Wed Dec 29, 2004, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

CoachG,

First, make sure you ask for a timeout and an explanation of the call. You should not be charged with the timeout if called is corrected. Always approach the officials in a sportmanlike manner. I can't stress this enough!!!!!
Second, study the rule book and make sure you have a good basis for questioning a call. You would be really surprised how many coaches, players, and fans that think they know the rules when really they don't have a clue. Last, realize that officials make mistakes some times. It sounds like you had some young guys learning the game who probably made a mistake. There is no three second count on an inbounds play. By knowing the rule book you could point this out to an official. Remember, officiating is a profeesion where perfection is expected every game and we all know that's not realistic. I think you handled the situation well by setting a good example of accepting a mistake without going crazy. GREAT JOB!!
Old Wed Dec 29, 2004, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Coach Gbert:

Please e-mail me privately. I'd like to discuss a couple of things with you, out of the public eye.

juulie aka rainmaker
Old Wed Dec 29, 2004, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Here's how not to do it: I blow the whistle and call a pushing foul against A1 during a rebound. B's coach jumps off the bench and starts complaining wildly about the call and how could I have possibly seen that. I calmly stopped at the table and said "A23, pushing, B's ball". I gave a smile and nod to Coach B. It's the first time a coach has apologized to me for a call I made. I didn't T her becuase I knew what was going on and I wanted to see her reaction when I called it her way. However, I am sure there are many out there who would have rewarded her with a "whack".
Old Wed Dec 29, 2004, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

Question back at you Coach -

Websters Dictinary says a Coach is; "a person who trains or directs athletes or athletic teams"

Where in coaching mechanics/process does it suggest that the coach takes the responsibility of questioning officials and their calls?

In my experience I see coach's all the time "work" officials more than their players or the game. Where does that come from?

Old Wed Dec 29, 2004, 07:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by brandan89
Just think, in 6 years you will be 50. :-p
Hey!!! Let's not be casting stones at "senior" officials. I have the coach beat by 17 years!
Old Wed Dec 29, 2004, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
[/B] [/Quote] Hey!!! Let's not be casting stones at "senior" officials. I have the coach beat by 17 years!
[/B][/QUOTE]

Ha Ha ha
Old Wed Dec 29, 2004, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Daddy

Question back at you Coach -

In my experience I see coach's all the time "work" officials more than their players or the game. Where does that come from?

Ref Daddy,

I totally agree with your last point. Last night I worked a Varsity Boys game. Visitors were up by 14 with 2 1/2 minutes left and lost by 2. The V coach was upset with us the entire final 2 minutes. After the game my partner remarked that if the coach quit worrying about us and coached his team the final 2 minutes he probably would have won. In the last 2 minutes of the game his team threw away about 4 passes (I mean, directly OOBs) and his team got called for 2 PC fouls because they continued to play extremely up tempo. I'm not judging them, but I thought my partner's comment was interesting and a good one for me (I coach soccer so I will remember that).
Old Wed Dec 29, 2004, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by coachgbert
Ask when it happens, at the next dead ball, some other time, like a time out?

I didn't ask for one particularly strange call and now my assistant coach, my own 12 year old daughter, won't let me live it down. It was the recent Christmas tourny game. We were inbounding the ball in a side line play, and hadn't released the ball yet. An official called a 3 second violation on us and turned the ball over to the other team. The defense was in the lane, my players were lined up at the sidelines waiting for the ball.

I didn't know what to say or how or when. The official just handed the ball to the other team and play resumed. I was shocked. Now my daughter thinks I have the capacity to be a wimpy coach and I should have at least pointed out the fact that the defense was in the lane not us. I didn't want to make anyone look bad, so I kept my mouth shut. These were two very new refs, that looked hardly older then my kids so I figured I'd cut them some slack. They both had quick whistles and called fouls left and right on both teams. It was an endless game because the clock stopped every 5 seconds, or so it seemed.

So when is it best to say something, or did I do okay and say nothing?

thanks,
Coach G
Coach whenever it is a question about misapplying a rule, like your 3 second OOB call, speak up to the nearest official respectfully, or ask for a timeout to correct it, or at least to get an explanation.

As for judgement calls, at your age level, I'd ask questions based on teaching your players what they did wrong. Screens, box outs, attacking the defender with the off arm, and bellying up on the shooter are pretty common fouls, that might lead to a,"What did they do wrong-type question."

Rule of thumb for most officials, we don't feel obligated to acknowledge a coach making statements. Treat it like Jeopardy and put it in the form of a question.
Old Wed Dec 29, 2004, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

Now, many people have said in their responses taht the coach should call a time out to discuss the call. I'm all for that, although I've never had a coach do that, they seem to prefer standing and screaming . But back on topic, I admit that I have screwed up quite few calls (this may be a shock to most people ) and as soon as I make the call I realize this, but people are saying that the coach should try and get the officials to correct the call. Now I've never reversed one of my calls, if I know I made a bad one, while the coach is venting, I'll apologize to him/her for the bad call, but once I make the call, I live with the consequences.

If the officials were to correct the call, what is the procedure they would have to follow??
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 12:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
Speaking of bad calls, some officials say to do it and some not. When you make a bad call should you tell the coach or not?

10 More to Go
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

Now it all depends how the coach reacts. If he's jumping up and down screaming, I'm going to give him the stop sign, but if he asks nicely, I'll tell him I may have messed up the call, and apologize for it. Usually they'll understand and drop it, actually I haven't had a situation where I've apologized and the coach kept going on about it.
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 12:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
Now, many people have said in their responses taht the coach should call a time out to discuss the call. I'm all for that, although I've never had a coach do that, they seem to prefer standing and screaming . But back on topic, I admit that I have screwed up quite few calls (this may be a shock to most people ) and as soon as I make the call I realize this, but people are saying that the coach should try and get the officials to correct the call. Now I've never reversed one of my calls, if I know I made a bad one, while the coach is venting, I'll apologize to him/her for the bad call, but once I make the call, I live with the consequences.

If the officials were to correct the call, what is the procedure they would have to follow??
Are you talking about not seeing a foul or violation, getting the foul or violation wrong, or misapplying a rule?

I hope you are not saying that if you called the ball OOB off the wrong team, or had a back court on a throw in, or called 3 seconds on a throw in, like in this case, you would not correct it.

As for fixing it, a quick explanation, inadvertent whistle and get it back in play.
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Quote:

Are you talking about not seeing a foul or violation, getting the foul or violation wrong, or misapplying a rule?

I hope you are not saying that if you called the ball OOB off the wrong team, or had a back court on a throw in, or called 3 seconds on a throw in, like in this case, you would not correct it.

As for fixing it, a quick explanation, inadvertent whistle and get it back in play.
I agree that if you do decide that you blew it the accidental whistle is the method that must be used to fix it. Give the ball to the team that had control or use the AP arrow if neither team had control.

However, I must disagree with those who have stated that the coach should not be charged with the time-out if the official changes the call.
The coach is certainly welcome to request a time-out to discuss a call, and more power to him if the officials decide to change it, but the time-out must remain charged to his team unless it fits within those specific things in 5-8-4. Those items are a 2-10 correctable error, a timing mistake, a scoring mistake, or an AP arrow mistake.
This time-out should also be requested through the scorer at the table just to be precise.
So in the case of the incorrect 3-second violation during the throw-in, which clearly does NOT fall within the purview of that rule, the officials should change the call, award the ball back to the throwing team, but also allow the time-out to remain charged to that team.
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 09:04am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

Had this happen in a varsity boys game. 2 whistle. I'm L, and partner turns around briefly to address V coach in H front court. While his head is turned, V1 comes up and knocks the ball out of H1's hand and into the backcourt. Partner just sees the ball go flying into the backcourt where H1 retrieves it.
Tweet, "Over and back."
Crowd and H coach go bonkers. Partner quickly realizes he may have missed something, so he calls me over. When I saw he had his head turned, I stretched my area to cover the ball for the moment and it paid off. He reversed his call and we gave the ball to H, not a peep from anyone.

Adam