The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 23, 2004, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Last night, Girls V game. I'm R. During the captain's conference, each team brought 3 to the conference so I asked which one was the "speaking captain." (I'll talk to anyone if their polite, but I like to do what the official's manual says which is to ask each captain if they're ready before the tip). A1 says, "I am." She's number 12. B1 says, "I am" and she's #10.

Introductions done, band plays the anthem and we're ready to go. I turn to #12 white and say, "are your ready?" She says yes. I turn to #10 blue and.... and.... and.... #10 blue is on the bench. I just smiled and turned to any random player wearing blue and said, "are you ready."

Sigh ......

Z
Old Thu Dec 23, 2004, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

I'm still looking for a good reason that the notion of a captain exists, at least in HS ball. I suppose I'm technically incorrect by not asking the captains if they're ready to play before the toss, but I'm just crazy enough to believe that if they're 10 players on the floor, we're ready. If I need something fixed, I'm going to whomever looks like the most influential member of the team, captain or not. If I need a shooter for Ts, I ask the coach. If I asked the captain, he'd most likely just turn to the coach and ask. So....what's the point?

I've been in many captain's meetings where my partner will ask about the speaking captain and tell them that we'll come to them...blah blah blah and we only want to talk to you yadda yadda yadda. And I've never seen or heard a single one of them follow through with anything they've said.

I can see that it would be a kind of perk for coaches to recognize a player by making him/her a captain. But beyond that, what's the point?
Old Thu Dec 23, 2004, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

We're gonna do this...

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
I've been in many captain's meetings where my partner will ask about the speaking captain and tell them that we'll come to them...blah blah blah and we only want to talk to you yadda yadda yadda. And I've never seen or heard a single one of them follow through with anything they've said.
I've had partners do similar. "We're gonna work really hard for you. We're gonna do this... We're gonna call this, this way..."

That's the way partner - stretch my neck out there so some childish coach can chop it off. Thanks Buddy.

I've been known to respond "After all of that, I'm not sure what my partner is going to do. But, I'm going to have a great game. I hope you do too. Good luck! Let's play ball."

Usually gets a smirk from the coaches and a broken-hearted, dumb-founded look from my partner. Duh! You idiot, don't be expecting me to live up to your ding-bat comments. You're setting us up for failure.

Aargh! Sorry BITS, your comments just struck a nerve.

All's better again.
Old Thu Dec 23, 2004, 03:43pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Or how about, "it's black, all the way around, except for under the net, where it's blue. The 3-point line is black, and the half-court line is black too. The free throw line is black, as are the lane lines and blocks. Remember you can't step on the blocks: you're not old enough."
Old Thu Dec 23, 2004, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I can see that it would be a kind of perk for coaches to recognize a player by making him/her a captain. But beyond that, what's the point?
Since we have to be on the floor pretty early it gives us somthing to do.
Old Thu Dec 23, 2004, 04:05pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
I'm still looking for a good reason that the notion of a captain exists, at least in HS ball. I suppose I'm technically incorrect by not asking the captains if they're ready to play before the toss, but I'm just crazy enough to believe that if they're 10 players on the floor, we're ready.
I'm under the same kind of thinking here. 10 players on the floor, 2 in the circle ready to jump, 2 coaches complaining already..AHHH 'Tis the season for basketball. I guess I'm afraid of the old come back if I ask ... "Are you ready?" ... "Nope, we are just out here for our health." But I usually don't ask.
Old Thu Dec 23, 2004, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

For eight years I have never actually remembered what number a captain is, nor spoken to one for any reason. If I NEEDED to know the captain's number, I would concentrate and memorize it, but have found it unnecessary. The LONG boring Captain's meeting reminded me of this (tounge-in-cheek) rendition I devised modeled after a referee in our asso. but it's not too exaggerated:

OK, I'm the REFEREE tonight so give me the ball.

Captains Meeting: Hello Ladies (or Gentlemen). I am Mr. BIG REF, and this is my partner, Mrs. Little Ref. Does anyone have contacts, asthma, an inhaler, diabetes, epilepsy, or their period (girls only)? We are playing the black line all around except where it's red, the ceiling is out-of-bounds, keep your hands off on defense, watch the hand-checking, no taunting or baiting, shirts tucked in, no jewelry, wait for us to call you in to sub, play the whistle not the horn, wait for the ball to hit the rim on free throws. If you need us for anything, just ask, we'll try our best to explain things. Any questions? OK LADIES, play a good game and have fun.

What's that snoring I hear? Oh my, the Captains have all fallen asleep! Does that mean we start the game with a Technical? Or is it two Technicals, or four? Does the coach get one Direct T, or two? Geesh, if only I didn't bore them to sleep with all that unnecessary discussion at the Captains Meeting....
Old Thu Dec 23, 2004, 04:48pm
M.A.S.H.

Short and sweet.

I need a floor captin for white, floor captin for red. Ok gentlemen/ladies we'll come to if we need anything you come to us if you need anything. Sportsmanship is the number one thing. Coaches, players properly equiped? Good luck!
Old Thu Dec 23, 2004, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

I was about to suggest that "since we all agree that long, boring captains' meetings are undesirable..." But that sentence doesn't make sense without conceeding that there are some officials who actually like long, boring captain's meetings. But I digress....

Who has a short, to the point spiel they'd like to share? I need a good one.

BTW, my partner for my last game admonished the captains and coaches to "not get distracted by the officiating." That was interesting.
Old Thu Dec 23, 2004, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm still looking for a good reason that the notion of a captain exists, at least in HS ball.
I have found that the coaches usually choose a fairly "level headed" kid to be captain. If I see a player that is getting frustrated, I might ask the captain to go take care of him "before I have to."

I don't really understand why we are instructed to ask the captains if they are ready to play either. But, it's in the officials manual so I'll do it until I figure out a good reason not to.

Z
Old Thu Dec 23, 2004, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Short and to the point

Quote:
Who has a short, to the point spiel they'd like to share? I need a good one.
I suggest strongly... don't have one.

I talk with the coaches. Handshakes. Pleasantries. "Are your player's properly equipped?" More pleasantries. "Is there anything you want us to talk to your kids about?" Last pleasantry. Closing handshake. "Gentlemen, Good luck and have a great game."

I have yet to have a coach say, "Yes" they want me to talk with (read as "bore") their kids. Therefore, no Captains meeting.

I'll go back and share pleasantries with the team I'm watching as they warm up.

During the introductions when the players run by to shake hands, slap hands, or give me some fist, I'll say "Good luck, So-and-so." It's not to difficult; the anouncer just said their name. I've just got to repeat it.

"EVERYBODY READY? Know what way you are going?" Tweet. Ball goes up and the game is on.
Old Thu Dec 23, 2004, 06:00pm
Administrator

Quote:
I'm still looking for a good reason that the notion of a captain exists, at least in HS ball. I suppose I'm technically incorrect by not asking the captains if they're ready to play before the toss, but I'm just crazy enough to believe that if they're 10 players on the floor, we're ready. If I need something fixed, I'm going to whomever looks like the most influential member of the team, captain or not. If I need a shooter for Ts, I ask the coach. If I asked the captain, he'd most likely just turn to the coach and ask. So....what's the point?

BITS:

You asked why does the notion of captains still exist?

As one peruses the rules, one sees that the captain is referenced many times but the coach is only referred to with regard to the conduct of bench of personnel. The reason for is that long ago in a galaxy far, far away, the coach had absolutely no contact with the players on the court except during halftime. Players on the court were the only ones allowed to request a timeout, and when a timeout was granted the players had to stay on the court and could not communicate directly with the coach; these restrictions also applied to the intermission between the 1st and 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarters, between overtime periods.

Just think how much easier and quicker the game would be if the game still had these restrictions.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Dec 23, 2004, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

DTTB,
I guess I am one of the more long-winded in the pre-game. I always give them a spiel. But once on the floor, mine is like yours.... Everybody ready? Stay set and stay put. Know which way you're going? OK guys, if we're gonna be out here an hour and a half let's have some fun, OK. Good luck! Tweet. Ball goes up.
Old Thu Dec 23, 2004, 06:27pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
[/B]
The reason for is that long ago in a galaxy far, far away, the coach had absolutely no contact with the players on the court except during halftime. Players on the court were the only ones allowed to request a timeout, and when a timeout was granted the players had to stay on the court and could not communicate directly with the coach; these restrictions also applied to the intermission between the 1st and 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarters, between overtime periods.

[/B][/QUOTE]Say what? I can't ever remember the players not being able to talk to the coaches during timeouts. And not being able to talk between quarters either? I've refereed 46 years and I've never heard of that one--at any level.
Old Thu Dec 23, 2004, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

Captains Meeting: (12 minutes)
"Ok guys get in close,(The band is loud), This is Mr. (name) and this is Mr.(name) and I am Mr. (name). We're going to show great sportsmanship tonight...not like all that crap you see in the NBA. If an opponent falls down...you can help him up...it's not against the rules.(smile)
(pointing at the stands) All these people paid good money tonight to see you guys play...not us officials having to get all funky. Understand? (Blank stares and some head nodding) Ok, (looking at partners) do you guys have anything to add? (Usually, "No" or "Just have fun")
"Alright, shake hands (players w/ players again) and have fun!"

Coaches Meeting: (2 minutes...Visiting Coach first)

"Hi Coach, (my name), and this is (U1's name) & (U2's name)
(sometimes I'll even shake the assistant coach's hand)
...so coach, do you have any questions, comments, jokes?" (usually lightens the coach up...may have a variety of answers...such as "Not any I can tell here." etc. So far have not heard, "Yeah, 3 of um' are standing in front of me!" )
Then I end the short conference with, "OK, if you see anything out there...don't be afraid to let us know."
(I love to see their face when I say this. You know, most coaches are going to "let you know" if they see "something" anyway...I just give them permission, and he that give-uth can take away-uth.

Some of you may go absolutely nuts about this. Fine, don't use it...use what works for you and use what fits your own individual personality.

Richland, WA