The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Thumbs down

Recently someone named Kris3333 came here to vent about a girls HS game she didn't think was officiated well. Apparently Kris is an official and saw a badly ref'ed game, I think she said the foul count was like 40 to 6 (is this possible?!).

IMO the responses were, for the most part, hardly our best moments here. It is possible her judgement was clouded by being a parent of one of the players. Of course it IS possible the refs sucked big time, let's face it some of us are not so good at this and even the best have an off night. It IS possible she just wanted to come here & vent. It IS possible we could have discussed the details of the game. It IS possible we could have talked her out of calling the assignor (it's also possible we would have encouraged her to call the assignor). It IS possible our collective response could have been something more thoughtful than "go away you idiot fan".

Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 04:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

When you call the officials "cheaters" without any examples of plays or situations that might have taken place in the game, what else do you expect?

I seriously doubt that the foul count was 40-4 and the game went into overtime. Just a guess, but I could be wrong here.

If you want the kind of response that is thoughtful and layered, you have to come here with more than, "The officials just sucked."

I choose not to get into that discussion and I did feel there was a lot of piling on, but I would expect more from an official than that.

Peace
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BushRef
But why? This board is a perfect example of "the good ole boys" network. Some people have all the leeway they want in their responses. Someone puts up a pictur of a squirrel with big nuts, and i'm not talking bout the ones in his hand or mouth, and everything's honkey dorey. Others of us post a picture of a retarded kid crossing the finish line with a tongue in cheek comment in it and everyone gets all offended.

As far as I can tell, idiot fans have always been fair game in this forum, and I didn't even post in the thread your talking about, but I think it makes my point clearly.
If you cannot understand the difference between what is offensive about the picture you put up versus that squirrel pic, you have SERIOUS problems.

I guess the small writing at the bottom of your picture with the little F**K you comment is also okay?
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 04:37pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

It IS possible our collective response could have been something more thoughtful than "go away you idiot fan".

Is it possible too that every one who posted a reply gave their own personal, honest opinion? And they're all entitled to do that- no matter how much their opinions may differ, or whether anybody else agrees or disagrees with those opinions?

We can't tell people how to respond. We can agree or disagree with their response. Jmo.
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 04:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

Red face Just the way it is.

BushRef,

I agree with you. Some people can talk about their politics, when you challenge their politics or talk about your person point of view, you are wrong (like this wonderful war we are in right not ).

Some people can be rude or talk about unprofessional situation and it is OK for them. Another person comes along and does the same thing and they should stop officiating.

I agree there are double standards all over this board. Just like real life I suppose. Just keep pointing them out. I do all the time. Maybe that is why everyone hates me so much. Either way, they cannot stop your opposition to it.

Peace
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Quote:
But why? This board is a perfect example of "the good ole boys" network. Some people have all the leeway they want in their responses. Someone puts up a pictur of a squirrel with big nuts, and i'm not talking bout the ones in his hand or mouth, and everything's honkey dorey. Others of us post a picture of a retarded kid crossing the finish line with a tongue in cheek comment in it and everyone gets all offended.

As far as I can tell, idiot fans have always been fair game in this forum, and I didn't even post in the thread your talking about, but I think it makes my point clearly.
If you cannot understand the difference between what is offensive about the picture you put up versus that squirrel pic, you have SERIOUS problems.

I guess the small writing at the bottom of your picture with the little F**K you comment is also okay?
OK, The F-You part at the bottom could have been done without, but that was just there cause of the site I took it off of. I could find it on another sight without that part, but you people would still get all upset about it.
If by "you people" you mean someone who understands how offensive that picture would be to someone who has a disabled child or has had the pleasure of spending time with special populations, then yes we'd still be upset.

There is an old saying about there being a big difference between being stupid and opening your mouth and removing all doubt.

You've become the poster child...pun intended...for that saying.
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 04:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Maybe this is where I should play the "I have a retarded niece" card, kind of like the "I can't be a racist cause I have best friends that are black" card.
I have always found it interesting when white male officials come to this site and complain about someone calling them a name that signifies their racial background. You would think the sky just feel in on them and their life is over. I wish I had a quarter every time I officiated and someone made a comment based on what racial group I belong to. When it happens to them "What is this world coming to. You mean there are people that actually do not like me because I am white? That cannot happen."

But when I have a week like I did last week and coaches of different colors were making comments because the officials were all-Black and I mention that, I am playing the race card. One coach could not understand why he could not get Black officials when he played the mostly white schools. Another coach was in "shock" that he had 3 Black officials on his game. I guess you cannot talk about those things because it makes the masses upset.

I understand how you feel. Your picture might have been in bad taste, but there are a lot of things posted here I feel are in very bad taste. It is the internet after all. And people have the right to show their opinions on things. I just find it interesting when you share those feelings, whether it is the situation that happen to Artest or the situation with a parent and a game their child played in, you seem to cannot say what you think without someone saying you are unprofessional or out of line. I guess these are the times we have come to. Keep your mouth shut unless I agree with what you say or do.

Peace
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Recently someone named Kris3333 came here to vent about a girls HS game she didn't think was officiated well. Apparently Kris is an official and saw a badly ref'ed game, I think she said the foul count was like 40 to 6 (is this possible?!).

IMO the responses were, for the most part, hardly our best moments here. It is possible her judgement was clouded by being a parent of one of the players. Of course it IS possible the refs sucked big time, let's face it some of us are not so good at this and even the best have an off night. It IS possible she just wanted to come here & vent. It IS possible we could have discussed the details of the game. It IS possible we could have talked her out of calling the assignor (it's also possible we would have encouraged her to call the assignor). It IS possible our collective response could have been something more thoughtful than "go away you idiot fan".

I didn't participate in the post. When I see one that has "biased participant" written all over it I just stay away. There is rarely any logic in a debate with someone who just saw their team lose and decides to blame the officials.

That being said, I can understand why many officials flamed her. She gave very little details, just went on and on about how bad they were.

I've seen a lot more personal attacks here by regular posters that are either ignored or encouraged so I don't know why this one merits being singled out.

Z
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Sorry, Dan. Her accusation that the referees cheated was over the top..beyond venting and beyond what any official would say. She acted like an irrational fan and was accorded the appropriate responses.
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 10:48pm
Administrator

This is the first school year that our freshmen is not playing competitive basketball, because he is concetrating on swimming and baseball in high school.

Both our sons have played Toledo Park and Rec. basketball (10U and 12U and baseball (10U, 12U, and 14U). The officiating in these leagues left a lot to be desired and I could easily write a couple of articles about the competency of the officials and umpires; but I also know that with one exception the officiating or umpiring never cost my sons' teams a win and the exception only kept the game from going to extra innings.

As a parent I understood that as much as I want my sons' teams to win, but I knew that I am a sports official first and can honestly say that I never critized the officials and umpires. If I thought that an official or umpire's conduct was unprofessional I made it a point to see the Toledo P&R assignor and explain to him what I thought was unprofessional conduct. My main concern was officials that were lazy and did not care if they were there except to collect the game fee or umpires that thought it was okay to smoke on the diamond between games or before the game. Lack of rules knowledge did not bother me as much as unprofessional conduct, because the reality is that no matter how bad the officiating really is the better team will still win.

Fortunately for me the parents of our sons teammates, with the exception of a few, are believe or not are the type of parents that we would all like to see in the stands. They concetrate on cheering for the team and ingnore the officiating.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry Dan,

The remarks from Kris were, from a fan/parent/player certainly unacceptable, and from an official, indefensible.

You've torn a strip off many a poster on this board since I discovered it a couple years ago, many of them along the lines of the one in question.

I'd also agree that some of the attacks between veteran posters are more worthy of attention than what was posted recently.

Kris' remarks, were, at best, unprofessional. The responses, though heated, were not out of line, IMHO.

I take nothing back. I apologize for nothing.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by canuckrefguy
Sorry Dan,

The remarks from Kris were, from a fan/parent/player certainly unacceptable, and from an official, indefensible.

You've torn a strip off many a poster on this board since I discovered it a couple years ago, many of them along the lines of the one in question.

I'd also agree that some of the attacks between veteran posters are more worthy of attention than what was posted recently.

Kris' remarks, were, at best, unprofessional. The responses, though heated, were not out of line, IMHO.

I take nothing back. I apologize for nothing.
Canuck and others,

What impressed me was 3 pages of virtually the same post, all attacking kris3333 for venting (I think Camron & Juulie gave her some benefit of the doubt). Someone here used the term piling on. The piling on seemed unnecessary and counter-productive. A good way to learn is to examine the mistakes of others, it might have been more productive to try & separate the ranting fan from the critical official.

I don't think she got that chance.

Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
What impressed me was 3 pages of virtually the same post, all attacking kris3333 for venting (I think Camron & Juulie gave her some benefit of the doubt). Someone here used the term piling on. The piling on seemed unnecessary and counter-productive. A good way to learn is to examine the mistakes of others, it might have been more productive to try & separate the ranting fan from the critical official.

I don't think she got that chance.
Dan,

We're all looking forward to you jumping on other posters who "pile on," take cheap shots, make personal attacks and be sarcastic. You are now the designated poster to keep posts on the subject of basketball and not mean-spirited or overly critical. Good Lord, we all know this board could use that from time to time.

Z
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Recently someone named Kris3333 came here to vent about a girls HS game she didn't think was officiated well.

IMO the responses were, for the most part, hardly our best moments here. It IS possible our collective response could have been something more thoughtful than "go away you idiot fan".
Jeez, look who woke up on the touchy-feely side of the bed this morning. . .
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Dan,

You are now the designated poster to keep posts on the subject of basketball and not mean-spirited or overly critical.
Uh-huh. . .