The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

The unexamined life is not worth living

Good for you, Dan!

I recently noted another poster, who was run out of Dodge, complained that he would like to recommend this board to his colleagues, but feels the need to include some caveats. I have recommended this board to people, encouraged them to post, and then seen their posts met with hostility. If we as a community cannot police ourselves, if occassionally somebody doesn't stand up and call us on our bad behavior, then we may as well close this place down and go over to that other board (and don't forget your asbestos undies).

Even if this is the place where we, metaphorically speaking, come to have a few beers and unwind after a game, shouldn't we exhibit something approaching the same level of civility we demand on the court?
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 11:42am
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
I just thought that it would be silly for officials that are throwing a game to send it to overtime. I know I could find a foul at the end of the game to put someone at the line to win it. That was my only post in that thread. I would hope Kris would come back and let us know how the situation was handled.

After a cool down period did he/she still feel necesary to contact the AD/Assignor/Sports Director?

After a cool down period did he/she realize that their comments were made in haste or were they right on?
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Recently someone named Kris3333 came here to vent about a girls HS game she didn't think was officiated well.

IMO the responses were, for the most part, hardly our best moments here. It IS possible our collective response could have been something more thoughtful than "go away you idiot fan".
Jeez, look who woke up on the touchy-feely side of the bed this morning. . .
Shocked, shocked, I tell you!!
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by w_sohl
I would hope Kris would come back and let us know how the situation was handled.

After a cool down period did he/she still feel necesary to contact the AD/Assignor/Sports Director?

After a cool down period did he/she realize that their comments were made in haste or were they right on?
I know. I've been disappointed that she/he hasn't come back and filled us in. But I suppose it's possible that she saw a couple of the harsh ones, and then decided never to come back.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Re: The unexamined life is not worth living

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
I recently noted another poster, who was run out of Dodge, complained that he would like to recommend this board to his colleagues, but feels the need to include some caveats.
This particular guy was a little different. He's trolled onto this board before, and been a problem. Kris was just a new ref who didn't know all the unwritten rules yet, I think. I think we could have educated her a little less harshly.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

BTW...what happened to that thread.
I'd like to see this train wreck.

I was the 3rd poster, and only asked a few legit questions to Kris. Didn't get to see any posts after about 5...must have gotten pretty bad for Dan to come to the rescue.

(Or maybe he knows this individual and is sucking up for a date?)
Richland, WA
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Has the original already been deleted. I can't even remember what it said. Does anyone still have the thread.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: The unexamined life is not worth living

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
I recently noted another poster, who was run out of Dodge, complained that he would like to recommend this board to his colleagues, but feels the need to include some caveats.
This particular guy was a little different. He's trolled onto this board before, and been a problem. Kris was just a new ref who didn't know all the unwritten rules yet, I think. I think we could have educated her a little less harshly.
I agree. Perhaps the troll wasn't a great example. But my point is still valid.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

My reply

Ok, here's the real scoop. I yanked the post. I am sorry for venting here and really just thought it best to delete the post. I felt really bad after the replies that I received. I will think twice about posting here again. But in any event, I am still in awe over the game that I saw. Yes, it was very, very bad. I am a ref, I am a parent, but in all honesty, I can separate those feelings. I can tell you that there were MANY other people in that gym that felt the same way I did. I was professional though and did nothing to berate those refs in front of anyone there. I did email MY assignor and let him know what I saw, but I chose not to contact their assignor because I was afraid of backlash. I had spoken to one of the officials before the game, so he knew I was there and knows who I am. I did however, forward the assignors name, number and email address on to our coach and told her that if she felt the need to say something, she should. I don't know if she did or not.

In the original post, I said that I wouldn't go into details. I am feeling the need to now since no one seems to believe how bad it was. Trust me guys, I am not making this stuff up.

Yes, the fouls were about 40-6. I'm not joking. We had 8 players to start the game, 4 were fouled out by the middle of the 4th quarter, and we had to play the rest of the 4th plus the OT with 4 players (3 bench players and one starter). The fourth player to foul out, fouled out because the official called the foul on the wrong person. She was no where near the play that he called the foul on, in fact, my daughter was (who had no fouls at that point). When he came to report the number, he gave the wrong number. (called #22, my daughter was #21). I asked him to go ask the players who fouled, because he had the wrong number and if he reported it incorrectly, he would be in effect fouling our 5th player out of the game. He refused. So that is how we ended up with 4 players. Our coach also received a technical on this play because she was telling the girl as she came off the court "I know, it was on Rachel not you, but dont' worry about it". Tweet - technical on the coach. She wasn't yelling, just speaking a little loudly because the gym was so loud at that point. Maybe it was just his interpretation, but whatever...

In the 3rd quarter, we were given a warning because one of our players took the ball after a shot and threw it out of bounds for the other team. Fine, that is the rule...we were good with that. A few plays later, same player makes a shot, and as the ball came through the hoop, it accidently hit her in the shoulder as she ran by. The Official gave our coach an indirect technical.

At the end of the game, we were up by 3 with 8 seconds left on the clock. Other team inbounds the ball, and dribbles, dribbles, dribbles...no shot to be made. Buzzer goes off, girl (outside the 3 point arc) just kinda granny shots the ball up and into no-where land. Shot? I don't think so, but the official seemed to think so and somehow as she did this, our player "fouled" her, even though she was completely straight up, because she had been told DO NOT FOUL BEHIND THE THREE POINT ARC. I saw this, she was completely straight up. The girl had to reach to hit her arm if she did, and our player was about 5 inches taller than this girl. So they shoot the three free throws, make every one of them (I have to give her credit for that) and send the game into overtime.

These are just a few examples...the entire game was riddled with situations like this.

Anyway, I'm sorry for the original post. You guys can think what you want, but I still think it was a horrible game. I wish that I had a video tape of it so that the assignor could see what happened that day.

Oh, and you'll love this - one of the officials came up to our coach at the end of the game and apologized.

Kris
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

Kriss:

I don't believe anyone doubted it was a horrible game.

Bad officiating happens.

What didn't set well with many of us was your accusation that the referrees were deliberately cheating.

Your details today provide no support for that accusation. In fact, the official apologizing leads to the opposite conclusion.

Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

I apologize

Allright, you're right...I do apologize for the "cheating" comment. Maybe they weren't cheating, but certainly seemed like they were trying to help that team out at any opportunity.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

If you started with 8 players and 4 were fouled out, that's 20, plus your daughters 0 fouls so we're still at 20, plus 2 techs = 22, did the other 3 players combine for 18 fouls? Is it possible that your team actually had less than 40 and the other team had more than 6?
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Fouls

4 players fouled out - 20 fouls.
Two techs -

The other four players had at least 3 fouls each by the time the OT was over since we had to keep fouling in hopes of them missing free throws and us getting the ball back.

Ok, maybe not quite 40, but the key word in my sentence was "about". Maybe it was only 35-6, but you get my gist.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 06:01pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Kris3333
I am a ref, I am a parent, but in all honesty, I can separate those feelings.

In all honesty, no, you very obviously can't separate those feelings. If you could, you still wouldn't be posting here, and you still wouldn't be running down those officials. Jmo.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 07:02pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Re: Fouls

Quote:
Originally posted by Kris3333
4 players fouled out - 20 fouls.
Two techs -

The other four players had at least 3 fouls each by the time the OT was over since we had to keep fouling in hopes of them missing free throws and us getting the ball back.

Ok, maybe not quite 40, but the key word in my sentence was "about". Maybe it was only 35-6, but you get my gist.
I realize that 35-6 (if that is the true number) is really out of whack. But maybe your team was fouling more. You did not tell us the kinds of defense that the teams were playing. You did not tell us the type of shots that were taken. All you are saying is that the officials were bad. I am not trying to pile on, but there is much more to a game than the foul count. And when I hear people complain about the foul count, you must factor in some other issues. If the other team was playing a zone, it is not uncommon to not have them foul and their opponent is not trying to take the ball inside. You have a right to feel the way you do, but so do we. I know I was not at this game to watch what took place, but I would never come here and crap on the officials and not give some other information. Just because you say those things happen, does not mean they did.

Have a blessed Christmas and at least from me no hard feelings.

Peace