The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 17, 2004, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS

When can a timeout be called? During a dead ball or when in player/team control, correct?

Situation: A1 has the ball for a throw in on B's endline with 6 seconds left down by 2. A1 throws the ball in to A2 who throws a baseball pass down court toward A3. While the ball is in the air, A's coach is screaming for a timeout which is recognized by the C official.

Should the timeout be granted?

Rule 4.12.1-6

Art 2 states: A team is in control of the ball when a player of the team is in control, while a live ball is being passed among teammates and during an interrupted dribble.

Old Fri Dec 17, 2004, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thumpferee
NFHS

When can a timeout be called? During a dead ball or when in player/team control, correct?

Situation: A1 has the ball for a throw in on B's endline with 6 seconds left down by 2. A1 throws the ball in to A2 who throws a baseball pass down court toward A3. While the ball is in the air, A's coach is screaming for a timeout which is recognized by the C official.

Rule 4.12.1-6

Art 2 states: A team is in control of the ball when a player of the team is in control, while a live ball is being passed among teammates and during an interrupted dribble.
It can but I would wait and see who catches the ball on a baseball pass. What if you are calling TO and the defense intercepts the pass>?

Then you have a mess.

Thanks
David
Old Fri Dec 17, 2004, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Do not grant the timeout while the ball is in flight on a pass. I do not have my rulebook today so I can't cite the rule, but in order to have a timeout request granted, a player on the team in control must be in control of the ball. Team control is not sufficient. There is no player control when the ball is in flight on the pass.
Old Fri Dec 17, 2004, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by David B
Quote:
NFHS

Rule 4.12.1-6

It can but I would wait and see who catches the ball on a baseball pass. What if you are calling TO and the defense intercepts the pass>?

Then you have a mess.

Thanks
David
What if A3 catches the ball and is going in for a layup to tie the game, would you grant the timeout then?

The timeout by A's coach would eliminate the WHAT IF'S, which is the point. According to the rule team control still exists during a pass among teammates. I am looking for the rule to substantiate when a timeout can and should be called/granted.

Thanks!
Old Fri Dec 17, 2004, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
NFHS

Rule 4.12.1-6

See 5-8-3-a.....team control is irrelevant - player control is. If the coach's request came before or as A2 released the ball, it's a no-brainer - grant it. If the request came clearly after A2 launched the ball, there is, by definition, no longer player control, so you can't grant the TO request until A3 controls the ball down court. Just my $.02......
Old Fri Dec 17, 2004, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What if A3 catches the ball and is going in for a layup to tie the game, would you grant the timeout then?

Thanks!
If the coach asks for the timeout again, after A3 gains control, then it will depend. If the request is very close to the time of the release on the lay-up I will try to ignore it and see if coach stills wants the timeout after the basket. If the coach requests it enough before the release that I can't ignore it, then he gets what he wants.

Rick
Old Fri Dec 17, 2004, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
According to the rule team control still exists during a pass among teammates.
Of course team control exists during the pass. But, that's irrelevant to the isue of granting a TO.

A TO can only be grnated when the ball is dead, or in control of or at the disposal of a PLAYER of that team. See 5-8
Old Mon Dec 20, 2004, 04:57am
Official Forum Member

5.8.3a

That's what I was looking for.

Thank You guys!
Old Mon Dec 20, 2004, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

That's why I'd like time-outs to be given back to the players, and no coaches involved. Hearing "Time-Out", taking eyes off players to be sure it's the Head Coach, turning back around to see if the Coach's team still has the ball......way too much to do in that short a time. It seems 1/3 of the time the team has lost the ball, and a time-out can't be granted, so now the coach is po'd cause you didn't grant the time out when his/her team had the ball, when the time out was requested. I can get myself in enough trouble on the floor. This rule just makes it easier to get into more trouble.
Old Mon Dec 20, 2004, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

I agree

[QUOTE]Originally posted by FrankHtown
[B]That's why I'd like time-outs to be given back to the players, and no coaches involved.

That would be great! I have missed, and have seen this call missed, for just the reasons you give.

Hartsy