The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 04:18pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I'm not looking for answers, rather I'm looking for discussion.

I've gone through the latest, greatest Part II exam, and as usual there are about 3 questions that I simply can't figure out.

(Can't figure out what the test MAKER was trying to say that is.)

These are the three I've left blank:

#6 -- A restraining line may be used as a boundary line when space is limited, and may extend the entire length or width of the court.

(I think this is meant to be true, as it seems to kinda describe what's said in 1-2-2. But worded very weird.)

#55 - A1 may be out of bounds without penalty if A1, while dribbling, goes out of bounds to avoid B1 and then comes back inbounds to continue the dribble.

(This doesn't imply an interrupted dribble, does it? It seems to really make a difference. If not an interrupted dribble, which implies loss of control of the ball, it's false -- 9-3 NOTE)

#65 -- The difference between the penalty administration for an intentional foul and a technical foul is the designated spot where the ball will be thrown in.

Who knows what this means?

I've sent this on to two learned colleagues that frequent this board and, well, they differed in two of their responses. I haven't lost my mind after all. I think.

Please discuss, if you're so inclined. My test has already been stuck in the mail, so it ain't gonna help me at all.

--Rich
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
I've got T, F and M (maybe).

If in 65 they mean ALL the differences between them the answer is F.

If they mean *A* difference between them then the answer is T.

I think they're going for the first one, so my vote is F.
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

I think what #65 is implying is that, if true, the number of free throws, who takes them, when they're taken, and how they're taken are all the same for both intentional personal and for technical fouls. Seeing that the number and who takes them could be different, I'd call this a false statement.

For 55, I don't think it's an interrupted dribble, either. The only question in my mind is whether they're looking for the OOB violation or they meant to write a situation where the player is given a technical foul for leaving the court to gain an advantage.

On 6, I'd be careful. First off, I would believe that the restraining line would HAVE to run the entire length or width of the court (as opposed to just being allowed to) but I've never seen a court with these before. Also, the restraining line is only the boundary line during the throw-in - I'm not sure if the NF is trying to trick everyone by saying that the restraining line is the boundary for going both IB and OOB.
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Amen!

I'm with you on #6... what is this full length of the court stuff? I answered True because the official can establish/impose a restraining line - I do it all the time on our podunk Idaho courts.

For # 55, I took to heart the words "while dribbling" and said False. The dribbler cannot step out of bounds.

For #65, I said True. A general technical foul is always thrown in at the division line. An intentional foul will be thrown in at the site of where the foul was committed (which could be the division line but not likely).

Now you've got several sets of answers... and my odds of getting them correct are still 50-50.
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 05:13pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Re: Amen!

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
I'm with you on #6... what is this full length of the court stuff? I answered True because the official can establish/impose a restraining line - I do it all the time on our podunk Idaho courts.

For # 55, I took to heart the words "while dribbling" and said False. The dribbler cannot step out of bounds.

For #65, I said True. A general technical foul is always thrown in at the division line. An intentional foul will be thrown in at the site of where the foul was committed (which could be the division line but not likely).

Now you've got several sets of answers... and my odds of getting them correct are still 50-50.
This hour and it's handful of responses just proves that these are three CRAPPY questions. I'm out to work a boys varsity game, but I'll look in once I get home.
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

True
False
True
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

I'd say false for all three.

Without a definition of the term "penalty administration," I'd take that to mean more than just the inbound after the free throws. With an intentional foul, the fouled player (or his/her substitute) must shoot the FT's; on a technical, anyone can shoot. Also, an intentional could be worth 3 FT's, while a technical is always worth 2 (our insane time-ending block-off-the-bench-down-by-three discussions notwithstanding). These differences make me say that there are other differences, which makes the statement false.

Of course, it would be possible for a technical and an intentional to have the same succeeding inbounds spot - in that case, the stated difference does not occur, and the statement is again false.
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
True
False
True
I've taken (and passed with a 93) the Part II test, and Tony's nailed it. I got 65 wrong also, and was told that I was over thinking it. Which I think is a very stupid response. They know they can say that to me, because I always overthink everything. So it completely begs the question of why...
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
True
False
True
I've taken (and passed with a 93) the Part II test, and Tony's nailed it. I got 65 wrong also, and was told that I was over thinking it. Which I think is a very stupid response. They know they can say that to me, because I always overthink everything. So it completely begs the question of why...
To those of us who use & understand the English language the answer is False.

The test question gives AN example from the list of possible differences. In fact the penalty differs depending on what the technical foul is.

It does not give THE (as in an exhaustive list) difference.

I agree with Rich, it's a crappy question that does nothing to test one's knowledge of the rules.

Oh well... :shrug:
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
True
False
True

The test question gives AN example from the list of possible differences. In fact the penalty differs depending on what the technical foul is.

I agree with Rich, it's a crappy question that does nothing to test one's knowledge of the rules.

I agree with you, Dan. That's why I got it wrong.

Oh, dear! That didn't come out right! Let's adjust the English a little here, too.

I agree with your reasoning, Dan. Unfortunately, when I used that reasoning, I got it wrong. It is not written to test knowledge of the rules, it's just plain a crappy question, just as you said. is that better?

[Edited by rainmaker on Dec 14th, 2004 at 09:21 PM]
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I agree with you, Dan.
Yeah I know.

Just venting.
Old Wed Dec 15, 2004, 12:35am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
True
False
True

I agree with you, Dan. That's why I got it wrong.

Oh, dear! That didn't come out right! Let's adjust the English a little here, too.

I agree with your reasoning, Dan. Unfortunately, when I used that reasoning, I got it wrong. It is not written to test knowledge of the rules, it's just plain a crappy question, just as you said. is that better?

[Edited by rainmaker on Dec 14th, 2004 at 09:21 PM]
By saying that Tony's nailed it, I'm taking it that the answers are TRUE, FALSE, TRUE. Oh well, I can't be perfect all the time, but I know that I know how to administer an intentional foul and how to administer a technical foul, so in my mind the test is the one screwed up, not me.
Old Wed Dec 15, 2004, 03:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown

In my opinion these are the correct answers for the test. A large part of successful test taking is having a sense of what the test writer intended the answer of the question to be. While I agree with all of those who have pointed out the problems with 65 (I actually think the other two are rather clear), it is obvious to me that the NFHS intended the question to be True.
Old Wed Dec 15, 2004, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
In my opinion these are the correct answers for the test. A large part of successful test taking is having a sense of what the test writer intended the answer of the question to be. While I agree with all of those who have pointed out the problems with 65 (I actually think the other two are rather clear), it is obvious to me that the NFHS intended the question to be True.
I thought the point of question #65 was to see if the official knew that "Intentional" and "Technical" are NOT different "types" of fouls. (We get several questions here about this: "A does such-and-such. Should I call an I or a T?")

You can have an IT foul. So, how could the administration be different? Had the question been "IP vs. T", then I'd agree that the answer was true.

Old Wed Dec 15, 2004, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

I answered T-F-T but my partners and I have had discussions on all of the questions.

On the restraining line, one of my partners believes the restraining line is only for either the front court or the back court. I disagree with him.

As for the player avoiding a player and going out of bounds, it was my interpretation that an offensive player can not leave the boundary lines of the court.

I took the technical foul question and tried not to read to much into it.