Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 15, 2004, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins

I thought the point of question #65 was to see if the official knew that "Intentional" and "Technical" are NOT different "types" of fouls.
Which leaves me wondering why #65 isn't "Intentional and techinical fouls are not different "types" of fouls.

But what do I know? :shrug:
Old Wed Dec 15, 2004, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

I thought the point of question #65 was to see if the official knew that "Intentional" and "Technical" are NOT different "types" of fouls.
Which leaves me wondering why #65 isn't "Intentional and techinical fouls are not different "types" of fouls.

Personal and Technical are the different "types".

Within those types, fouls can be common, intentional, flagrant, playercontrol, multiple, ... (and not all "catgories" apply to both "types").

Old Wed Dec 15, 2004, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Personal and Technical are the different "types".

Within those types, fouls can be common, intentional, flagrant, playercontrol, multiple, ... (and not all "catgories" apply to both "types").

Of course Bob.

This makes the answer FALSE. Asumming we know can agree on what "type" means.

In any event there's many ways to make this question a lot more straight forward than it currently reads. IMO.
Old Wed Dec 15, 2004, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser

#65 -- The difference between the penalty administration for an intentional foul and a technical foul is the designated spot where the ball will be thrown in.
[/B]
This is refering to the administration of the penalty, not the penalty itself.
Old Wed Dec 15, 2004, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimgolf
Quote:

#65 -- The difference between the penalty administration for an intentional foul and a technical foul is the designated spot where the ball will be thrown in.
This is refering to the administration of the penalty, not the penalty itself. [/B]
Of course Jim, that's it!

Now...can you tell me where in the book it distinguishes between a foul's penalty and the administration of that penalty?
Old Thu Dec 16, 2004, 01:37am
Official Forum Member

Round about way

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Jimgolf
Quote:

This is refering to the administration of the penalty, not the penalty itself.
Of course Jim, that's it!

Now...can you tell me where in the book it distinguishes between a foul's penalty and the administration of that penalty? [/B]
I think it does but in a round about way.

The penalty is listed in rule and in the summary of penalties, two free throws plus ball for the throw in.

the administration is listed in 7-5-8 and then in 7-5-11.

not clear, but does get the job done and gives the difference in the two.

Thanks
David
Old Thu Dec 16, 2004, 03:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by flsh224

On the restraining line, one of my partners believes the restraining line is only for either the front court or the back court. I disagree with him.
Demonstrate your correctness to your partner by the following example:
1-2-2 "The restraining line becomes the boundary line on that side or end, as in 7-6. It continues to be the boundary until the ball crosses the line."
This means it is now the OOB line/plane for that entire side of the court or end of the court because,
9-2-3 "The thrower shall not...Pass the ball so it is touched by a teammate while the ball is on the out-of-bounds side of the throw-in boundary-line plane (except as in 7-5-7)."
Now if the throw-in is from the sideline in the backcourt and you have less than 3 ft of space there, the thrower cannot pass the ball down the sideline well into the frontcourt where a teammate catches it while it is still on the OOB side of the restraining line. This would be a throw-in violation.

Quote:

As for the player avoiding a player and going out of bounds, it was my interpretation that an offensive player can not leave the boundary lines of the court.
The NFHS was very careful to put "while dribbling" and "to continue the dribble" in this question. It is a violation according to the Note in 9-3. The T for 10-3-3 is not applicable to this question.

Quote:
I took the technical foul question and tried not to read to much into it.
Exactly. In my opinion all the NFHS is trying to do is make the point that intentional PERSONAL fouls are inbounded at the spot nearest the occurrence of the foul, while the throw-in following a T is ALWAYS at the division line opposite the table. They are not concerned with which player(s) is(are) allowed to shoot, and the asumption must be made that intentional foul means intentional personal foul for this question.

[Edited by Nevadaref on Dec 16th, 2004 at 03:53 AM]