The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 06, 2004, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Last night, I called in a men's league game. They use Fed rules. On the second free throw, the shooter is bouncing the ball and at the same time bends his legs. Because of this the ball bounces into his shin and away from him. He has to step over the line to recover it. After some discussion, we reset the freethrow and gave him a second chance. Is this procedure correct in high school? NCAA?
Old Fri Aug 06, 2004, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

It is the procedure we use. If it is not the official procedure, it is common sense. Good decision.
Old Fri Aug 06, 2004, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

No. You should have blown the whistle immediately, prior to the shooter violating. Then give him his 2nd FT. That is per the NFHS Case Book.
Old Fri Aug 06, 2004, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

No. You should have blown the whistle immediately, prior to the shooter violating. Then give him his 2nd FT. That is per the NFHS Case Book.

I'm sorry if I misrepresented what happened. The fumble occurred before the second free throw. We stopped it immediately, came together, and decided the correct procedure was not to call a violation and let him attempt his second free throw. I am wondering if we were correct. I am also wondering if it would be handled the same way in NC2A.
Old Sat Aug 07, 2004, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

Casebook 9.1

Z
Old Sat Aug 07, 2004, 04:40am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ReadyToRef

I'm sorry if I misrepresented what happened. The fumble occurred before the second free throw. We stopped it immediately, came together, and decided the correct procedure was not to call a violation and let him attempt his second free throw. I am wondering if we were correct. I am also wondering if it would be handled the same way in NC2A.
You handled it correctly. Rules references are:
-NFHS- case book play 9.1.1
-NCAA- rule 9-2(a)A.R.1
Old Sat Aug 07, 2004, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

If he didn't violate by going after the ball, then yes, you handled it correctly.

But when you wrote, "He has to step over the line to recover it," I couldn't interpret whether he retrieved the ball or he would have to violate to retrieve it. Which is it?
Old Sat Aug 07, 2004, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

If he didn't violate by going after the ball, then yes, you handled it correctly.

Yes, you are correct. He did go after the ball. After reading the case play, I realize we should stop the play on the muff and before the violation, but it happened so quickly, we didn't have a chance to do that. Since we didn't do that, by rule, do we have a violation? Or should we go with the common sense approach and readminister the free throw anyway.
Old Sun Aug 08, 2004, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes, you are correct. He did go after the ball. After reading the case play, I realize we should stop the play on the muff and before the violation, but it happened so quickly, we didn't have a chance to do that. Since we didn't do that, by rule, do we have a violation? Or should we go with the common sense approach and readminister the free throw anyway.
Choose door B.

Old Sun Aug 08, 2004, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Yes, by rule, you have a violation.
Old Mon Aug 09, 2004, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

One more thing to add:

Be aware that in a rec league with running clock, he may have done this to move time off the clock. If we're under a minute, I'll get the clock stopped until the ball in rebounded. I think that's case number...someone with a book help me out.
Old Mon Aug 09, 2004, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by lrpalmer3
in a rec league with running clock, he may have done this to move time off the clock. If we're under a minute, I'll get the clock stopped until the ball in rebounded. I think that's case number...someone with a book help me out.
Luther, I don't think you're going to get a case number, b/c there's no situation under FED rules in which the clock would be running during a FT (even by state adoption, I think).

Although, now I see a smiley in your post. Were you just funnin' me?
Old Mon Aug 09, 2004, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
One more thing to add:

Be aware that in a rec league with running clock, he may have done this to move time off the clock. If we're under a minute, I'll get the clock stopped until the ball in rebounded. I think that's case number...someone with a book help me out.
In the rec league that Padgett is on the board of, the running clock starts as soon as the ball is at the disposal of the shooter. It's a sort of POI philosophy.
Old Mon Aug 09, 2004, 07:14pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Thumbs up One running clock rule...

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
in a rec league with running clock, he may have done this to move time off the clock. If we're under a minute, I'll get the clock stopped until the ball in rebounded. I think that's case number...someone with a book help me out.
Luther, I don't think you're going to get a case number, b/c there's no situation under FED rules in which the clock would be running during a FT (even by state adoption, I think).

Although, now I see a smiley in your post. Were you just funnin' me?
Under NFHS Rules, running clock is a state option. So what may be true for me (in MI) may not be true:

Here, if a game has a 40 point margin in the second half, the clock becomes a running clock and stops only for time outs, the intermission between periods 3 and 4, and free throws in the last minute of the game (or is it last 2 minutes, I can't remember that part at the moment). Also, if the margin is cut back to 30 or less, we go back to a regular clock.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Mon Aug 09, 2004, 07:38pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb Re: One running clock rule...

Quote:
Originally posted by Stat-Man

Under NFHS Rules, running clock is a state option. So what may be true for me (in MI) may not be true:

Here, if a game has a 40 point margin in the second half, the clock becomes a running clock and stops only for time outs, the intermission between periods 3 and 4, and free throws in the last minute of the game (or is it last 2 minutes, I can't remember that part at the moment). Also, if the margin is cut back to 30 or less, we go back to a regular clock.
http://www.mhsaa.com/news/lacrosse.html
The point-differential rule for Michigan will be identical to what was used in 2001-02, and will be used at all levels of play. When a 40-point differential is reached at any time beginning in the second half, the clock will not stop with the following exceptions:
• Called time outs;
• Injuries;
• The end of a period, and;
• For the shooting of free throws in the final two minutes of the fourth quarter.