The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 05, 2004, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BayStateRef

I worked an AAU tournament recently that used an NCAA scorebook that had space for the scorer to record the time of each foul. This book had other nice "improvements" that certainly made it better for game management when problems arose.
Yup.

Took me a few games to get used to all the 'extras' I had to put in, but they've helped me out on many an occasion.
Old Sun Jun 06, 2004, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:
So tell me who were the two teams?

I may know them or coaches...
Blue was Brighton and White was Bingham. I am told that Brighton is from Salt Lake and that Bingham is from South Jordan.
The only other UT team that I saw was Olympus. They have a 6-9 kid who will play D1. They lost to Bingham in the other semi-final by 4. The Bingham kids told me that they were happy to win because Olympus (from the Salt Lake area) had beaten them twice at previous tournaments.
All three of these teams would have been a threat to win the Nevada State Title last year as Las Vegas had a down year.
I hope to see some UT teams in Vegas in July.

NevREf..

Yes Bingham is from Souh Jordan (actually just under 4 miles from my house) They have always had a solid team. Brighton is the high school that was rivals with the one I attended and the past few years have been pretty strong. (Salt lake County)

Both Bingham and Brigton played in a Region that included the other high schools from the district. It is a good league. They are both 5A schools. Olympus is a 4A school and has had a good program as well.

However just to give you an idea None of the teams you mentioned won the state championship- In fact the finals did not include anyone from their regions...

When I see the coaches I will let them know!
Kelvin,
Do you know the enrollment numbers for 4A and 5A over there? Here 3A is 400-1199 and 4A is 1200+. 4A is currently the largest classification that we have. The largest schools up north are about 2200, while Vegas has a few that have 3500 students. There is some talk of Vegas making a 5A league, which I assume will be schools with 2500+.
After Bingham beat the defending Northern Regional champs (Reed HS) the local coach commented to another official friend of mine, "They were men and we were boys." You can pass that along to him as well, if you wish.
Old Sun Jun 06, 2004, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nevadaref
[B][QUOTE]Originally posted by Kelvin green
Quote:
Quote:
NevREf..

After Bingham beat the defending Northern Regional champs (Reed HS) the local coach commented to another official friend of mine, "They were men and we were boys." You can pass that along to him as well, if you wish.
Nevada, they were men and we were boys - come on, what does that mean? Kenny Anderson, now in NBA, played for my alma marta in HS (Molloy) as a 14 year old freshman. There wasn't a man in NYC that could stay with that 14 year old boy!
Old Mon Jun 07, 2004, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Kelvin,
Do you know the enrollment numbers for 4A and 5A over there? Here 3A is 400-1199 and 4A is 1200+. 4A is currently the largest classification that we have. The largest schools up north are about 2200, while Vegas has a few that have 3500 students. There is some talk of Vegas making a 5A league, which I assume will be schools with
In Utah

1A= 149 kids in the school and below ( 35 schools like that ranging from 12 to 152-- Can you imagine being in the school that has 12?

2A=150 to 449 (18 schools)

3A=450-1199 24 schools ( I see in our new alignments there will be one school with 130 kids in 3A due to location?)

4A=1200-1499 22 schools

5A=1500 and above (25 schools there are a couple of exceptions that have just under 1500)

It gives us 19 leagues or regions- Due to geographics and alignments varsity referees from Salt Lake will either ref or travel to ref in 14 or 15 of these.