The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 01, 2001, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Clarifications to situation.

Team B had no opposition on lane for rebound, cleanly rebounded and yelled TO at same time after having given advance warning of the desire for an immediate TO. Whistle blew immediately at time of rebound. Should 1 second delay apply, or should the clock sit at 2.2 seconds?

On restart, I was not counting, but I have watched a lot of last second plays. I have timed them a hundred times for my own teams in practice so we know what we can get done in certain situations. No way 3 seconds went by, although possibly 2 did. It was a real quick count. I felt like he went right with 1 1/2 counts and blew game dead. It all happened really fast. Should ref blow at 1.5 seconds if he believes time has expired, or is there an allowable time delay for starting clock as well?
Old Mon Jan 01, 2001, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Clarifications to situation.
Team B had no opposition on lane for rebound, cleanly rebounded and yelled TO at same time after having given advance warning of the desire for an immediate TO. Whistle blew immediately at time of rebound. Should 1 second delay apply, or should the clock sit at 2.2 seconds?
I feel like I'm repeating myself but the clock has to start and stop. The clock starts when the ball is touched, not when it's possessed. The timer did an excellent job to stop the clock within 6/10's of a second. You can't rebound the ball and expect no time to come off the clock, it doesn't matter how clean the rebound is, how many players and coaches yell timeout or how many times you tell the official you want a TO if you get the ball.

If someone can show me a rule which contradicts 5-8-3a,b, 5-9-3, and 5.10.1b Comment, then I'll agree with you completely. Don't give an opinion, reference a rule to back up you position.

[Edited by BktBallRef on Jan 1st, 2001 at 10:45 PM]
Old Tue Jan 02, 2001, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, time must run off (even if infintessimaly [sp] small)!!!

(Pardon me if this sounds a bit like Katherine Harris)
During your situation:
(A) The clock shall be started when the ball touches/is touched by a player on the court (5-9-3).
(B) Time out occurs and the clock, if running, shall be stopped when an official grants a player's/head coach's oral or visual request for a time-out, such request being granted only when the ball is in control or at the disposal of a player of his/her team (5-8-3b).

There is no way the TO can be granted unless B has control. There is no way B can have control without the clock starting.

Bottom line, if the clock shows 1.2 seconds or above, everyone did their job fine. Even if it shows less than 1.2, it may not be timer error - the official needs time to 'process' the request, and the 1 second lag time applies to the whistle - not the mental granting of the request, not the request, not the warning of a pending TO.
Old Tue Jan 02, 2001, 08:50pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb there is a way

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mark Dexter
[B]
Quote:

There is no way the TO can be granted unless B has control. There is no way B can have control without the clock starting.

Mark.
An official can kick it, and then has to enforce it in HS.
mick
Old Tue Jan 02, 2001, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

I was referring to how things should work under the actual rules, not what happens in real life.
Old Fri Jan 05, 2001, 02:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Alaska Ref
Lightbulb

Just another thought on the subject!

If team A has called a time out, team A or B can call a successive time out as long as the time out doesn't extend the 4 quarter or any extra periods.

Rule 5 Section 12 Article's 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5

Good luck