The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 29, 2000, 03:54am
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs down I understood.

I know what your point was. I just did not agree with it.

Quote:
Originally posted by BigDave
Rut,

I GET THE POINT ABOUT THE BELLY THING. By the way, I'm 6'2", 185, so not a problem here.

My point was not about the bellies. LOL, that sounds funny!
Old Fri Dec 29, 2000, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigDave
I can accept that.

Made for some interesting conversation though.
Old Fri Dec 29, 2000, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Talking Re: Helped me

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
I am one of the few officials that do not have a bear belly or look like they struggle to get up and down the court.
Given the choice between a beer belly and a bear belly (the belly of a large heavy mammal having long shaggy hair, rudimentary tail, and plantigrade feet and feeding largely on fruit and insects as well as flesh), I'd take the beer belly; at least getting that one can be enjoyable.
Old Fri Dec 29, 2000, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Helped me

Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Brendemuehl
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
I am one of the few officials that do not have a bear belly or look like they struggle to get up and down the court.
Given the choice between a beer belly and a bear belly (the belly of a large heavy mammal having long shaggy hair, rudimentary tail, and plantigrade feet and feeding largely on fruit and insects as well as flesh), I'd take the beer belly; at least getting that one can be enjoyable.
Either one is bad, but showing up with a bare belly is even worse (unless you're part of the half-time entertainment).
Old Fri Dec 29, 2000, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
BigDave, I think you are the one making a mountain out of a mole hill here. J has apperently done somthing right in his short career as a basketball official and I think what that is is his physicial conditioning. There is nothing wrong with having overweight officials in your organization but the the ones who are the "right" size have an advantage over those who are overweight.

BTW, every evaluation form I have ever seen starts off by having a question on physicial appearance. Second question is over the uniform.
Old Fri Dec 29, 2000, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigDave
I agree with Rut!

I have never disagreed that weight/physical appearance is a MAJOR factor in this business. It is probably THE most important aspect of being evaluated. OK, is that clear now?

My point was/is/has been/always will be that Rut was bashing other officials with his "bear belly" comment. Am I the only one that felt this way? Everyone else thought is was just fine to downtalk other officials? In my association, you just don't do that. Yes, we have some fat asses. They know who they are. But we would NEVER compare our "slim, athletic" selves to these guys the way Rut did. Wouldn't it have been a little more professional to say that "we have some folks that could work on their conditioning a little."?

Guess the mole hill just got a little taller...

[Edited by BigDave on Dec 29th, 2000 at 08:41 PM]
Old Fri Dec 29, 2000, 10:19pm
In Memoriam

Cool Nah!

Quote:
I have never disagreed that weight/physical appearance is a MAJOR factor in this business. It is probably THE most important aspect of being evaluated. OK, is that clear now?

My point was/is/has been/always will be that Rut was bashing other officials with his "bear belly" comment. Am I the only one that felt this way? Everyone else thought is was just fine to downtalk other officials? In my association, you just don't do that. Yes, we have some fat asses. They know who they are. But we would NEVER compare our "slim, athletic" selves to these guys the way Rut did. Wouldn't it have been a little more professional to say that "we have some folks that could work on their conditioning a little."?

Big Dave,
That is just Rut.
He is who he is.
If they look like a fat duck, walk like a fat duck, quack like a fat duck, they probably are fat ducks... including the bear bellies.
mick

Old Fri Dec 29, 2000, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Big Dave

Agree with you completely re: professionalism and how we speak about fellow officials- some people will have to learn that you can't get by on "looks' alone-Professionalism-Proper Attitude- Receptiveness to Criticism and Courage are all attributes that are pre-requisites to progress in this game!
Old Fri Dec 29, 2000, 11:25pm
Do not give a damn!!

Exclamation I am not they person.

The beer belly comment, came from a assignor that said this to a entire room of officials. So if that offends you, take it to the people that do the hiring, I am just passing the information. And I know for a fact that assignors told some people to lose specific weight, like "10 pounds or else." Now that might be harsh and may rub some people the wrong way, but that is what was said. Take it or leave it.

Quote:

Old Fri Dec 29, 2000, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

My,My Rut
You are sure easy to get to- coaches must have a field day with you-Have fun
Old Fri Dec 29, 2000, 11:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: I do not know what happen here!!!!

[

[Edited by JRutledge on Dec 29th, 2000 at 10:44 PM]
Old Fri Dec 29, 2000, 11:43pm
Do not give a damn!!

Wow!!!!

Quote:
Comments deleted - please abide by forum guidelines.
A question was asked, I answered it and I am not the one talking about how upset it made me because you or anyone else answered a question. Think what you want, I have information you can take it or leave it. If it does not apply to you, then let it go, if it does maybe that is why you were offended. If I am fat, I am fat.

Ask anyone that works with me, I almost always ask what I did wrong or what did they see I need to improve on. I even ask about calls. There is nothing about wrong with critisism, it is how you take it. There is nothing to get upset about, and you got upset. I am sitting back and having a laugh about the whole situation.

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Devana
My,My Rut
You are sure easy to get to- coaches must have a field day with you-Have fun
[Edited by Admin on Jan 3rd, 2001 at 05:03 PM]
Old Sat Dec 30, 2000, 12:44am
Official Forum Member

Don't lose your cool ref if I'm getting to you why don't you give me a T ? Rut , seriously , you are just digging a big hole for yourself in full view of your peers- give it a rest!
Old Sat Dec 30, 2000, 01:13am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Helllllooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Comments deleted - please abide by forum guidelines.
Peace!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Devana
Don't lose your cool ref if I'm getting to you why don't you give me a T ? Rut , seriously , you are just digging a big hole for yourself in full view of your peers- give it a rest!
[Edited by Admin on Jan 3rd, 2001 at 05:06 PM]
Old Sat Dec 30, 2000, 02:09am
Official Forum Member

I hope seriously, for the game, that your evaluator has been monitoring your diatrabe and gets you out of the game.